AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   How do you hook yours up? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=20468)

Mr. Big 04-09-2013 06:16 PM

How do you hook yours up?

I know this is a newbie question, but how do you guys hook up your JLs in a 2-channel system without a dedicated subwoofer output on your pre-amp? The instruction manual states that you can come straight out of the L-R outputs on the pre-amp connecting to a "Y" cable and send one set of L-Rs to the subwoofer and the other set to your amp. The instructions also say that you should use a good quality outboard crossover in the system to make sure the proper frequencies are sent to the speakers.

Also, if the pre-amp has both balanced and single ended outputs, can I use both at the same time, using the XLR output to the amp and the RCA output to the sub?

Audiophilehi 04-09-2013 07:34 PM

Hi Mr Big,

There should be a "Main 2" output on your preamp. For 1 sub I use the main 2 left output to the left/mono input of my JL 113.

Btw,

The Main 1 output on your preamp would go to the input of your amp.

chessman 04-09-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 476484)
I know this is a newbie question, but how do you guys hook up your JLs in a 2-channel system without a dedicated subwoofer output on your pre-amp? The instruction manual states that you can come straight out of the L-R outputs on the pre-amp connecting to a "Y" cable and send one set of L-Rs to the subwoofer and the other set to your amp. The instructions also say that you should use a good quality outboard crossover in the system to make sure the proper frequencies are sent to the speakers.

Also, if the pre-amp has both balanced and single ended outputs, can I use both at the same time, using the XLR output to the amp and the RCA output to the sub?

I have been done this road. You need an active crossover to do this right in a two channel rig. You can sort of do it with Y splitter interconnects or two outputs out of the preamp, but the mains and subs will be interfering with each other at the crossover point. Sometimes if you set the crossover low enough you can get away with it, but mostly not. Much more info is here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/subwo...s-project.html

KingRT 04-09-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 476620)
I have been done this road. You need an active crossover to do this right in a two channel rig. You can sort of do it with Y splitter interconnects or two outputs out of the preamp, but the mains and subs will be interfering with each other at the crossover point. Sometimes if you set the crossover low enough you can get away with it, but mostly not.

I agree, 100%!
I have tried sub integration everyway possible.
Buy an active crossover.
Tacking a sub on at the bottom does not work.
Some people do have a tolerance for it, and they will chime in.

Mr. Big 04-09-2013 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 476620)
I have been done this road. You need an active crossover to do this right in a two channel rig. You can sort of do it with Y splitter interconnects or two outputs out of the preamp, but the mains and subs will be interfering with each other at the crossover point. Sometimes if you set the crossover low enough you can get away with it, but mostly not. Much more info is here: http://www.audioaficionado.org/subwo...s-project.html

Thanks, this is just the info I need. Can you suggest a good active crossover with XLR connectors?

Masterlu 04-09-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Big (Post 476638)
Thanks, this is just the info I need. Can you suggest a good active crossover with XLR connectors?

Bryston 10B-Sub

chessman 04-09-2013 11:06 PM

I heartily recommend the Bryston 10B-SUB. It can be ordered with either RCA or XLR connectors. I use XLR. The Bryston will let you sum the bass from both mains in a single sub if you want to do that. I went with two subs even though they are really playing in mono at that frequency. The effect on my two channel performance has been an order of magnitude improvement.

Stigmater 07-18-2015 03:04 PM

I have a question regarding unbalanced inputs on my F113
There are two inputs Left / Mono and right only,
To left/LFE I connected my receiver for HT.
To right I conected my Devialet that I use for stereo and sub so it's 2.1 basically.
I didn't understood from user manual what is the difference between the inputs,
Do I need Y splitter to connect my receiver and amplifier to LFE input (using them separately of course) or I can continue to use both inputs on F113 , one for integrating sub in to stereo and other for HT.
Basically the question summarize in to : what is the difference between two inputs on F113 if I'm not using them for one stereo input.

chessman 07-18-2015 04:42 PM

Stigmater, welcome aboard! :wave:

chessman 07-18-2015 04:49 PM

Stigmater, I THINK you are ok as set up, but am not absolutely sure. I believe the right and left single end inputs are each mono and simply sum inputs internally. So long as the Devialet and receiver are not on at the same time it is simply a way to avoid swapping cables all the time. Someone jump in if I am wrong.