AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   News (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Bose headphones spy on you? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39158)

2fastdriving 04-19-2017 07:35 PM

Bose headphones spy on you?

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/bose-head...--finance.html

Add that to the reasons I don't have these :nono:

mtroo 04-19-2017 10:50 PM

I am not warm and fuzzy about Bose collecting information on it's listeners. I do not have a set of their wireless headphones. But, I do use Roon. They collect information about my NAS musical contents (and other info?) to help curate music for me. Ditto Tidal. And would you really be surprised if the radio in modern cars collects and transmits information about our driving habits, musical tastes and favorite sports teams. I am not condoning it, I just think it is becoming an Orwellian way of life.
I try to minimize data collection on my habits and I do try to protect my privacy, but this is increasingly becoming a fantasy, I am afraid. ISP's, cell phone carriers, satellite TV providers, search engines, cable TV and apps are all quantifying our lives. Add to it Fitbits, Garmin devices, Sleep Number Beds and you don't even have privacy when you are sleeping. At some point I will need to decide for myself how much energy I am willing to expend to protect all this information and really decide whether I am willing to die on that hill. Until then, I will enjoy Roon/Tidal, sleep on my bed, use my fitbit and drive however I damn well please.

GaryProtein 04-19-2017 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 842770)
I am not warm and fuzzy about Bose collecting information on it's listeners. I do not have a set of their wireless headphones. But, I do use Roon. They collect information about my NAS musical contents (and other info?) to help curate music for me. Ditto Tidal. And would you really be surprised if the radio in modern cars collects and transmits information about our driving habits, musical tastes and favorite sports teams. I am not condoning it, I just think it is becoming an Orwellian way of life.
I try to minimize data collection on my habits and I do try to protect my privacy, but this is increasingly becoming a fantasy, I am afraid. ISP's, cell phone carriers, satellite TV providers, search engines, cable TV and apps are all quantifying our lives. Add to it Fitbits, Garmin devices, Sleep Number Beds and you don't even have privacy when you are sleeping. At some point I will need to decide for myself how much energy I am willing to expend to protect all this information and really decide whether I am willing to die on that hill. Until then, I will enjoy Roon/Tidal, sleep on my bed, use my fitbit and drive however I damn well please.

Conceptually, I hate to agree with you, but I agree with you.

There are only so many hours in the day and while I wish I wasn't being spied on so much, there just isn't enough time to really stay ahead of big brother.

Weirdcuba 04-20-2017 07:01 AM

This is a major reason I have re- emphasized the turntable. I agree that it's nearly impossible to avoid tracking entirely, but it is nice to know that I can listen to anything I like and no-one knows.

crwilli 04-20-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 842770)

I am with you, especially on your conclusion. Good post!

mtroo 04-20-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 842811)
This is a major reason I have re- emphasized the turntable. I agree that it's nearly impossible to avoid tracking entirely, but it is nice to know that I can listen to anything I like and no-one knows.

Are you buying these LP's at flea markets and garage sales? My Acoustic Sounds account lists my entire purchase history.

audioguy3107 04-20-2017 10:15 AM

This should surprise no one.

Weirdcuba 04-20-2017 11:16 AM

Of course they know what I've bought, but they don't know whether I give it away, never listen to it, when I listen to it, what I listened to after I listened to it, etc. i also have a local record store that I frequent that doesn't even know my name - they know my credit card number but not my name. So, what and whether I'm listening to anything in particular at any given time is not known via a turntable.

I readily acknowledge this is only one small thing and the vast portfolio of data available about me and sites I visit and much of what I do at those sites is tracked and recorded. Vinyl listening though is private and I somehow take a bit of solace in that, however misplaced it may be.

Still-One 04-20-2017 02:58 PM

Since I only wear my Bose headphones to protect me ears while cutting the lawn, someone who buys that data is not getting much info on me.

mtroo 04-20-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Weirdcuba (Post 842846)
Of course they know what I've bought, but they don't know whether I give it away, never listen to it, when I listen to it, what I listened to after I listened to it, etc. i also have a local record store that I frequent that doesn't even know my name - they know my credit card number but not my name. So, what and whether I'm listening to anything in particular at any given time is not known via a turntable.

I readily acknowledge this is only one small thing and the vast portfolio of data available about me and sites I visit and much of what I do at those sites is tracked and recorded. Vinyl listening though is private and I somehow take a bit of solace in that, however misplaced it may be.

I couldn't agree more. Some of these throwback technologies have multifaceted appeal.