AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Shindo with Devore 0/96 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=15021)

lesmarshall 07-11-2012 11:04 PM

Shindo with Devore 0/96

I am considering the Devore 0/96 speakers with my Shindo system (monbrison/haut brion) , but I have found very little information or reviews on them. Any experience with these speakers or information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Myles B. Astor 07-11-2012 11:07 PM

I heard them at CES two years ago and was really impressed. I was even more impressed by his newer speakers he showed at CES this year and wrote about it in my show report for PFO! ;)

CFz 07-11-2012 11:13 PM

Forum member FranklinLG has a pair of O96's with a Shindo Masseto and Sophia 300B monos and I believe he's enjoys them very much. He wrote a review linked below.

A rumble in the jungle « Get lost in analogue

I've also read on the Audiogon forums from people who have the Haut Brion and O96 combo who also found the bass to be a bit heavy.

adhesiv 07-12-2012 12:30 AM

I've been torn between these and the silverback for a future upgrade.

I'd like to hear both the Shindo and LM field coils too.

Will definitely make a trip up to Matt's before doing anything and would suggest you find the closest dealer to demo as well before you pull the trigger.

NeilNZ 07-12-2012 01:25 AM

I know John really likes the Haut Brion with the O/96's so you're starting with the right stuff anyway!

fjn04 07-12-2012 04:23 PM

I did own Nines, and moved to 0/96's last summer. I owned the Nines for nearly 3 years. The Nines when I bought them, were $6500. The 0/96's were nearly double the price. As one may imagine, the 0/96's are noticeably more efficient, than the very efficient Nines. Although the Nines can easily be driven w/ very low power, the 96's throw that door even wider open. I have no experience with the 88's, S/B's, or any of John's forthcoming speakers. The Nines and 0/96's are different enough, that listening tastes should dictate which you prefer. I prefer the 0/96's, which did not make the Nines any less enjoyable when I had them. I play quite a bit of pop/rock, from Neil Young & Led Zep, to The Doors & Grateful Dead. I also do alot of female vocals: Cowboy Junkies, Joni Mitchell, Eva Cassidy.... Luckily, there are several DeVore dealers who also have the Orangutan's.

adhesiv 07-12-2012 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04
I did own Nines, and moved to 0/96's last summer. I owned the Nines for nearly 3 years. The Nines when I bought them, were $6500. The 0/96's were nearly double the price. As one may imagine, the 0/96's are noticeably more efficient, than the very efficient Nines. Although the Nines can easily be driven w/ very low power, the 96's throw that door even wider open. I have no experience with the 88's, S/B's, or any of John's forthcoming speakers. The Nines and 0/96's are different enough, that listening tastes should dictate which you prefer. I prefer the 0/96's, which did not make the Nines any less enjoyable when I had them. I play quite a bit of pop/rock, from Neil Young & Led Zep, to The Doors & Grateful Dead. I also do alot of female vocals: Cowboy Junkies, Joni Mitchell, Eva Cassidy.... Luckily, there are several DeVore dealers who also have the Orangutan's.

Did you listen to the silverbacks as well before settling on the O96?

lesmarshall 07-12-2012 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjn04 (Post 336069)

How do you find the bass on the 0/96? Some have said they are bass heavy and placement is more critical than other Devores.

fjn04 07-12-2012 09:03 PM

I have no experience with the Silverback's.
The Nines and 96's both responded well to room placement.
The 96's (in my room) have a slightly fuller mid-bass, which I like.
Again,different enough where you should prefer one over the other.
I recently read about a new DeVore speaker called "The Tens".
I think that speaker, if/when available, may be in the 11K range .
This would make a fair $ comparison with the 96's.

CFz 07-12-2012 10:19 PM

I don't mean to hijack the thread but I received my pair of Nines two days ago. Amazing hifi speakers. Perhaps one day I'll "upgrade" to the O96's. For now I plan to pair the Nines with a Leben CS600.

Good luck with the O96s!