AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   C2500—>c2600—>c2700—>????? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=46554)

JWJW 08-31-2019 11:14 AM

These pre/DAC combos are starting to feel like home theater processors. Every year, they are changing....it%u2019s getting a little crazy now. Oh, and still no streaming functions in any of them (so far). We will see if the whole DAC Module thing is just B.S. or is Mc committed to keeping up to date.

W9TR 08-31-2019 01:27 PM

Yep - they are following the digital audio format trends - things seem to be settling down a bit now so time will tell. I’m surprised they haven’t yet offered an upgrade program from DA-1 to DA-2. This is why I am holding on to my C 2300 and using outboard DAC’s.

cmusic 08-31-2019 02:35 PM

That is one of the reasons why I did not want a preamp with a DAC. These changes make your preamp outdated to some degree. If I was a C2600 owner I would not upgrade simply to get the new Module. My LUMIN T2 can upsample on the fly and I do not bother with it because I do not hear much difference. The C2600 can play native High Res files which sound definitely better than 16/48 so I would keep it. Furthermore, no streaming capability is a disadvantage which creates more expenses.

Maks 08-31-2019 06:38 PM

I wonder how much content is even available in these higher rate formats like DSD512. I know pretty much nothing about digital music so I could be completely off base. The release of the MA352 was interesting to me because it's a fully analog integrated, I would like to see a CXXXX that is fully analog like my C2300 (edit: I am aware of the C70), but if I was just starting today I definitely wouldn't overlook the 2600 or 2700, especially with the MCT input for SACD. Hopefully the value of the digital C2X00s are holding better than home theater units. And even though I have no horse in the race, I am interested to see if those DA modules are really upgradeable/swappable. It seems like Mc is trying to still appeal to their traditional customer yet gain a younger customer base at the same time.

JWJW 08-31-2019 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maks (Post 978026)
I wonder how much content is even available in these higher rate formats like DSD512. I know pretty much nothing about digital music so I could be completely off base. The release of the MA352 was interesting to me because it's a fully analog integrated, I would like to see a CXXXX that is fully analog like my C2300 (edit: I am aware of the C70), but if I was just starting today I definitely wouldn't overlook the 2600 or 2700, especially with the MCT input for SACD. Hopefully the value of the digital C2X00s are holding better than home theater units. And even though I have no horse in the race, I am interested to see if those DA modules are really upgradeable/swappable. It seems like Mc is trying to still appeal to their traditional customer yet gain a younger customer base at the same time.

:thumbsup:

thughes 09-04-2019 12:45 PM

I wish they would let me swap out the DAC module for a tuner module instead. I can take care of the DAC externally.

Still-One 09-04-2019 03:20 PM

Sometimes I do not understand the criticism of companies such a McIntosh when they update their product line with upgraded features. Are they really supposed to keep a product in their catalog that no longer offers some of the latest features? They will lose the opportunity to sell to someone who is looking to purchase a product with all (or most) of the current technology. They already offer DAC's for individuals like W9TR who want to add DAC capability to a 2300.

If they don't ultimately offer upgrade options for "replaceable" DAC modules then those owners have something to complain about.

Still-One 09-04-2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thughes (Post 978528)
I wish they would let me swap out the DAC module for a tuner module instead. I can take care of the DAC externally.

Nice idea. :thumbsup:

thughes 09-05-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Nice idea
Thanks

Audiophilehi 09-05-2019 11:58 AM

Maybe the c2800 will stream!:D