AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Running a new line... (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=14911)

adhesiv 07-05-2012 12:54 AM

Running a new line...

So I'm finally getting a chance to run a dedicated line to my system and was curious what the basics are to lock in when getting this going.

I only need one line so...

What amperage should the circuit be?

Are there any circuits known to e better for audio application?

Wiring gauge?

Wiring type/brand?

Anything else to think about (inline transformers etc.)??

I just purchased the Oyaide R1 for the outlet off TommyC and will probably grab another one to make a wall gang of 4 outlets. I'm also using a pair of custom made Hammond toroidal isolation transformers with a dual outlet output. One for the digital side (source & DAC) and the other for the analog side (pre & amp). Will put the Turntable into the wall direct.

My system details are in my sig...any other questions I should be asking?

joeinid 07-05-2012 12:58 AM

Congratulations Jayson!

This is one of the best upgrades available.

f1 fan 07-05-2012 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeinid
Congratulations Jayson!

This is one of the best upgrades available.

+1...

Dave

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Ritmo 07-05-2012 06:23 AM

Hopefully Dan will join in and provide good advice.

I added to 20A lines. Used 10G wire.

Good luck!

Mike

adhesiv 07-06-2012 01:01 AM

Joe/Dave...Thanks i've read so much about it from those on this board i figured now is the time to strike.

Mike...I'm thinking 2 x 20A lines now too...i'll have to make room in the panel though.

Dan...It would be awesome to hear your advice if you get a chance to chime in too...you seem to be the resident "power" expert.

jdandy 07-06-2012 11:32 AM

Jayson.......Glad to hear you have decided to go with a dedicated circuit for your sound system. Looking at your power requirements based on the gear in your signature, a single 20 amp circuit will satisfy your current needs. The actual cost of two dedicated circuits, both installed at the same time, will not be that much more. You might want to consider possible future power needs.

The wire gauge will be determined by the over-current device (circuit breaker) rating, and the distance from the electrical panel to the outlet(s). A 20 amp circuit requires a minimum wire size of #12 copper. If the length of the circuit exceeds 50 feet, I would suggest you go up one wire size to #10 copper to ensure minimum voltage drop.

By using two 20 amp dedicated circuits you can power your amp and preamp from one circuit, and power your sources from the other 20 amp circuit. That's what I would do.

Happy listening. :)

chessman 07-06-2012 12:29 PM

Sorry to be a noob, but what makes a dedicated line "dedicated?" Nothing else plugged into it? On its own fuse panel? On its own phase? On its own circuit breaker? :dunno:

Masterlu 07-06-2012 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 333511)
Sorry to be a noob, but what makes a dedicated line "dedicated?" Nothing else plugged into it? On its own fuse panel? On its own phase? On its own circuit breaker? :dunno:

Randy... What makes it dedicated is that it is a "Home Run" to the breaker panel.

scarpi 07-06-2012 01:17 PM

I would run two 20 amp dedicated lines. One for you amp and one for the rest of your gear. The wire they install should be 12 gauge. Installing dedicated lines for your gear is one of the best improvements your system can have. Gets it separated from all the other stuff in your house (less noise and more power). :thumbsup:

jdandy 07-06-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 333511)

Randy.......As Ivan said, the circuit has independed wires that run from the outlet to a separate circuit breaker in the service panel, and this circuit is not share with any other outlets, hence the term "dedicate" circuit.