AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18298)

enit 01-11-2013 06:59 AM

Do like the focal utopia range. Excellent build, and excellent depth, very lively, exciting, and punchy.

Maestros matched with mc601s, c50, mcd500.

Does jazz music very very well. And piano! Piano is tremendously real.

Matched with the viva utopia for center.

HiFiGuy528 01-11-2013 04:10 PM

I'm a fan of Focal speakers. I have the Mezzo Utopia from the early 2000.

custodian 01-12-2013 06:58 PM

I never really got on with Focal. Maybe the demos I heard weren't set up pre rly. Certainly there did seem to be significant benefits from giving the speakers some air and space but even at best, they seemed uninvolving.

enit 01-12-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by custodian (Post 425019)
I never really got on with Focal. Maybe the demos I heard weren't set up pre rly. Certainly there did seem to be significant benefits from giving the speakers some air and space but even at best, they seemed uninvolving.

Yes, those focal speakers need very proper set up, and matching. It's very very very good when they've been run in also.

Raindog031 07-19-2013 08:45 AM

And i like Dyn tweeter...assuming it's powered with appropriate matching electronics...match...that is the whole point...on the other hand i dont think that berilyum and diamond tweter is "better" than Dyns high end models tweeters...if the Danes thought that that was better they would produce it with no problem...

cheez 07-31-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 420999)
I have become a great fan of Focal speakers as of late.
I currently own a pair of Focal Utopia III Scala speakers.:tresbon:
They have proven very revealing, exceedingly musical:music: and true to the source.
They can do incredible dynamic swings with big powerful solid state amps but I enjoy their subtleties more with my McIntosh MC 275LE mono amps.

Does anyone else have interest or experience with Focal speakers?

Best Regards.

Mike Segal.

I think Focal's strong key is the solid mid range and detail. At least with the CMS line especially the 65 model. I had owned 50 and 40 in the past.

Do Focal's have hum / buzzing noise issue off the mid range driver? It seems that's very common with these speakers.

cheez

enit 08-12-2013 12:30 AM

Anyone here heard the Scala V2, vs the Scala V1? It's definitely worth the shootout, even just out of the crate.

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

antaresbluespirit 04-28-2014 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Msegal (Post 420999)
I have become a great fan of Focal speakers as of late.
I currently own a pair of Focal Utopia III Scala speakers.:tresbon:
They have proven very revealing, exceedingly musical:music: and true to the source.
They can do incredible dynamic swings with big powerful solid state amps but I enjoy their subtleties more with my McIntosh MC 275LE mono amps.

Does anyone else have interest or experience with Focal speakers?

Best Regards.

Mike Segal.

Hello,

Some vintage Focal speakers designed between eighties ,nineties are amazing !

Raymond

phunge 04-28-2014 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Washline (Post 421013)
I'm using Alto Utopia Be's now for nearly eight years. I love them. I wanted to try them at one point with the Mac 275s but I was afraid that the rough impedance curve would make them bass-shy. I had an exchange with a guy who had the 275s with his Altos and had decided to buy a subwoofer. With my current amp, I'm not at all in need of a sub.

I have the altos as well, and love them. I use mine with the matching focal sub. It is a very nice sub, but I do not use it when playing music as I have not been able to integrate it for stereo playback to my liking. I have tried various placements, phase, crossover and level adjustments but cannot get it to sound natural on music.

I am very happy with it on movies though!

Clad 7 12-11-2017 06:29 AM

Hello,
I own a pair of 1037be : excellent !