AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Off Topic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   A dollar coin would save American taxpayers BILLIONS (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=41775)

eljr 01-08-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GaryProtein (Post 891263)
I like cash.

I don't want to see it go.

I as well but I found long ago you can't stop progress, it just makes you old.

For years and years I always had a wad of cash in my pocket. Typically $1,500ish.

It just made me feel secure.

I was with my daughter two years ago when I saw her pay for a cup of coffee with a bank card, the new cash. I thought that strange and irresponsible so I spoke to her about it. By the time we were done talking I realized there was nothing "wrong" in using plastic to pay. It was but a previous mind set I had to "unlearn." (a bit off subject, I know) Anyway, after realizing I was living in the past, a laggard at that, I emptied my pockets of cash and am pretty much cash free now.

Forget the convenience, it just made sense. Like moving from hard media to streaming. Not that I have come to grips with buying CD's. But at least I know it's ridiculous that I still do. :tears:

Still-One 01-08-2018 11:06 AM

Who actually uses paper money? 99% of all our transactions are on a card or EFT. I could easily function without ever handling currency.

For The Love of Music 01-08-2018 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 891296)
Who actually uses paper money? 99% of all our transactions are on a card or EFT. I could easily function without ever handling currency.

I agree, rarely do I ever carry cash, and it’s been like that for long time, now throw in Apple Pay from my iPhone and you don’t even need a card.

With that being said I see that cash is still widely used. It’s not uncommon to have brief cases full of cash, and I mean 5/6 figures worth of cash purchasing fish on the grounds in Alaska, as well as the Columbia River separating Washington and Oregon.

Then you have all the check cashing stores, that I assume are on a National level where people don’t have accounts and obtain cash through this method.

There are more examples but thought the two mentioned would be interesting.

62caddy 01-08-2018 01:39 PM

There were already two US dollar coins- the Eisenhower and Susan B Anthony minted from 1979 - 1981. The latter never gained acceptance with the American public. Whether it would fare better now is anybody's guess...:scratch2:

eljr 01-08-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62caddy (Post 891335)
There were already two US dollar coins- the Eisenhower and Susan B Anthony minted from 1979 - 1981. The latter never gained acceptance with the American public. Whether it would fare better now is anybody's guess...:scratch2:

They would fare just fine if they were minted smaller and paper dollars were taken out of circulation, as they would have back then.

62caddy 01-08-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eljr (Post 891338)
They would fare just fine if they were minted smaller and paper dollars were taken out of circulation, as they would have back then.

I don't know if that's necessarily true but you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

In any case, it's doubtful the paper dollar will be going anywhere anytime soon.

GreginNH1 01-08-2018 02:20 PM

Canada has been using Looneys ($1) and Towneys ($2) for years now. They no longer use pennies. Makes a lot of sense.

Mikado463 01-08-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreginNH1 (Post 891344)
Canada has been using Looneys ($1) and Towneys ($2) for years now. They no longer use pennies. Makes a lot of sense.

I like the idea, hell we have plenty of 'Looney Toons' in our Gov't, lets mint some coins after them !

DonBattles 01-08-2018 02:36 PM

I use my CC or debit card for all transactions with two exceptions. I pay the gardener and the house cleaner in cash and therefore always have about $500 on hand. I carry about $100 on my person but cannot even remember the last time I paid cash.

eljr 01-08-2018 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 62caddy (Post 891339)
I don't know if that's necessarily true but you are certainly welcome to your opinion.

In any case, it's doubtful the paper dollar will be going anywhere anytime soon.

well then what do you mean by "get acceptance":scratch2: