AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   D'Agostino Master Power Classic (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42103)

PHC1 02-05-2018 02:56 AM

D'Agostino Master Power Classic

Has anyone auditioned the Classic? :scratch2:

https://www.paragonsns.com/wp-conten...reo-angle2.jpg

For The Love of Music 02-05-2018 09:39 AM

2fastdriving had one of these for a listen, and may have posted something on it

vintage_tube 02-05-2018 09:51 AM

Here's an older AA thread about the Classic:

https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...+Power+Classic

Maybe not a lot of meat in that thread -- but thought I'd post it.

Best Sir,

Bob

PHC1 02-05-2018 10:34 AM

Thanks Bob

For The Love of Music 02-05-2018 01:25 PM

After revisiting Marc’s postings, I wonder what Stillpoints would have done to each of the ranges, hearing what the mid level Ultra SS did to the Momentum’s I can only imagine how the Classic could have been tweaked, especially since its not billet, creating even more value, dunno, just thinking out loud

2fastdriving 02-05-2018 01:44 PM

Hey everyone, I revisited that thread as well and now I remember it clearly. I was really impressed with the authority and grip, which is present in ALL D'Agostino gear, yet wasn't taken with the midrange and soundstage accuracy. The Ref75 and now my Esoteric A-02 beat the Classic (or really the MP3+ that I demo'd) in that critical area (critical for me).

Since my demo, I've heard it sound very good in other rooms/systems. So maybe it was isolation. Ed is right, the amp could probably benefit from HRS isolation or stillpoints because it's not a solid chassis.

But the Classic is a great value any way you look at it, and it has gobs of power reserves. I've been tempted by my dealer on a few different occasions, but never bit because I'd rather wait and get a momentum stereo. I'm still thinking along those lines, but not in a hurry.

PHC1 02-05-2018 02:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still thinking about staging a return to Wilson and D'Agostino for the bigger room. Going Alexia and Momentum like I had before is not in my plans but a pair of Sabrinas and perhaps the Classic would be doable.

PHC1 02-05-2018 02:14 PM

I found a thorough 3 part review which did peak my curiosity enough to seek an audition.

Part 1. https://youtu.be/Po6EhGkExj0

Part 2. https://youtu.be/GUcogQ-tMx8

Part 3. https://youtu.be/w-ND1q634N8

2fastdriving 02-05-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897431)
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still thinking about staging a return to Wilson and D'Agostino for the bigger room. Going Alexia and Momentum like I had before is not in my plans but a pair of Sabrinas and perhaps the Classic would be doable.

This would be a very satisfying setup! :thumbsup:

vintage_tube 02-05-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897431)
............not in my plans but a pair of Sabrinas and perhaps the Classic would be doable.

Excellent choice on speakers as heard Sabrinas with ARC Foundation series and I was totally impressed. For their footprint, they did many things right to my ears.

Best Sir,

Bob

Bar81 02-05-2018 04:33 PM

I was wondering when you were going to get back on that horse :) If you do end up auditioning it, I'll be interested to hear how they compare to what you had before (M300?).

PHC1 02-05-2018 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bar81 (Post 897461)
I was wondering when you were going to get back on that horse :) If you do end up auditioning it, I'll be interested to hear how they compare to what you had before (M300?).

The only exposure to D’Agostino products I had in my own system was a trio of Momentum monoblocks for the Wilsons. Man that was sweet. Have not auditioned any since but that combo is deeply ingraved in my memory and still haunts me. Gotta hide the wallet somewhere from myself! :D

For The Love of Music 02-05-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897480)
The only exposure to D’Agostino products I had in my own system was a trio of Momentum monoblocks for the Wilsons. Man that was sweet. Have not auditioned any since but that combo is deeply ingraved in my memory and still haunts me. Gotta hide the wallet somewhere from myself! :D

A trio, like 6 monos? If so, for theater?

PHC1 02-06-2018 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 897516)
A trio, like 6 monos? If so, for theater?

No, three Momentum monoblocks. L/R/C with Bryston amps for the 4 other Wilson surrounds.

For The Love of Music 02-06-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 897528)
No, three Momentum monoblocks. L/R/C with Bryston amps for the 4 other Wilson surrounds.

From the sound of it, pun intended, it must of been beyond belief

PHC1 02-06-2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 897530)
From the sound of it, pun intended, it must of been beyond belief

Yes it was. :music: The third Momentum amp was back in the gear closet with the rest of the amps. I don't even want to mention what it cost me to run Transparent reference cable from the back of the theater room to the Wilson Center channel. The whole project was just over the top and not something I would ever do again but it did sound awesome. Here is a short video of that setup. https://youtu.be/Ota9Qf9OY14

For The Love of Music 02-06-2018 01:17 AM

I have come across this before, now I know whose it was.

Anyway, that build left you with the experience to move forward with consideration towards a great combination of Sabrina’s and a Classic, and this time you are miles ahead in dollars with still a great sound, I can already hear it.

PHC1 02-06-2018 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by For The Love of Music (Post 897543)
I have come across this before, now I know whose it was.

Anyway, that build left you with the experience to move forward with consideration towards a great combination of Sabrina’s and a Classic, and this time you are miles ahead in dollars with still a great sound, I can already hear it.

Absolutely. I had my fun with that dedicated room/theater but would never spend that kind of coin again. :D Would be perfectly happy with the Sabrina/Classic, in fact I was perfectly happy and grinning ear to ear with the PrimaLuna Integrated and my new Harbeth speakers. The combo is extremely musical and satisfying. Sometimes we just lose the essence of why we are in this hobby, which is to enjoy music and fortunately that does not have to cost a fortune! :music:

doggiehowser 02-07-2018 01:46 AM

I was told the Master 2 is basically a Momentum with a low(er) rent chassis.

Which makes it remarkably great value.

A flick of a switch makes it a 1000W mono block

The same source said the Progression is a more conventional architecture - not the one in the Momentum.

PHC1 02-07-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doggiehowser (Post 897772)

The same source said the Progression is a more conventional architecture - not the one in the Momentum.

Very interesting, if, that is accurate information. :scratch2:

Bar81 02-07-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

That doesn't make much sense. So, Dan spends all that time and money developing the Momentum and then scraps the topology to spend more time and money on another design, only to then go back to his original design for the lowest product in the range.

That's not generally how a business works. First, you build a halo product - in this case, the Momentum. Then you decrease costs for casing, use cheaper components and decrease complexity as you go down the chain so there's a consistent family "sound" and you are not reinventing the wheel along the way. This ensures that (1) your R&D spend efficiency is maximized (2) you can release products of lower lines within reasonable time frames to capitalize on the halo product hype and (3) maximizes the chances of a customer staying with the company as they move up the chain since it's more of what the customer already likes as he moves up the chain.

JGlackan 02-07-2018 09:15 AM

I heard it with Kef Ref 5s and SF Serafinos the other day. Compared it with MC275 amp in stereo doing A/B ing back and forth. The salesperson and I kind of liked the Mac on either speaker. Just a tube preference really I think.
Full disclosure, I was there looking for speakers, so not as focused on the amp, but we both liked the two speakers with the Macs.
Warmer, better mids and similar highs. Bass was all you could want on both amps.
Room was not ideal as dealer is really a high end custom installer, but the speakers were set up as per the SF protocol. The salesmen was a real pro and had been doing this for 30 years. Always a pleasure to work with someone who could teach you and not the other way around.
Don't get me wrong, the Dag was a very fine amp, just different sound. I could see them in a theater situation being fantastic. Gobs of power and plenty of current.
They were using a Mac pre, but did not get the model number. I asked what speaker cables, but being 67 comes with some drawbacks. What you ask, I don't know, I forget!

Jeff

JGlackan 02-07-2018 09:17 AM

Dealer was Southeaston Systems in Mount Pleasant, SC. Peter Wainright was the contact.
Yes, I spelled the dealer name correctly.LOL

vintage_tube 02-07-2018 01:14 PM

Just a visual comparison sure looks like more than a low rent chassis to me -- the Master Classic transformer is behind the white rear cover. Two totally different designs.

Momentum 400 Top view
https://i.imgur.com/i3EFZja.png

Master Classic top view with massive & heavy amp cards on each side
https://i.imgur.com/t0W4WNF.png

Poor picture -- but side view of the Master Classic amp card
https://i.imgur.com/siH42gO.jpg

Best Sirs,

Bob

Sharp 1080 02-07-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGlacken (Post 897795)
I heard it with Kef Ref 5s and SF Serafinos the other day. Compared it with MC275 amp in stereo doing A/B ing back and forth. The salesperson and I kind of liked the Mac on either speaker. Just a tube preference really I think.
Full disclosure, I was there looking for speakers, so not as focused on the amp, but we both liked the two speakers with the Macs.
Warmer, better mids and similar highs. Bass was all you could want on both amps.
Room was not ideal as dealer is really a high end custom installer, but the speakers were set up as per the SF protocol. The salesmen was a real pro and had been doing this for 30 years. Always a pleasure to work with someone who could teach you and not the other way around.
Don't get me wrong, the Dag was a very fine amp, just different sound. I could see them in a theater situation being fantastic. Gobs of power and plenty of current.
They were using a Mac pre, but did not get the model number. I asked what speaker cables, but being 67 comes with some drawbacks. What you ask, I don't know, I forget!

Jeff

Jeff, I would expect that MC275 sounded more natural to your ears. They are designed to work together. Using the MC275 is always hit and miss when combining preamp and amp combos of different manufacturers. due to impedance problems. I have had good luck as have many others using ARC and D'agostino as they have better symmetry when combining tube preamp with solid state amps.

Sharp 1080 02-07-2018 02:47 PM

:D
Quote:

Who is the source? Dealer or manufacturer?

Besides the copper and aluminium differences they are different in the fact that the Progression uses a single ended driver stage versus the Momentum's complimentary driver stage. This straight from Bill McKiegan whom I spoke to before replying to this. He did agree with your statement of the Progression being more "traditional" as the Momentum was designed to work and sound fantastic in a compact package. They also have different transformer windings for all three amps. In my opinion the Progression is much closer in sound to the Momentum than the Master Power as it shares some of the ideas trickled down from the Momentum amplifier. The Master Power is the "entry level" (gateway drug)!

murphyb74 02-22-2021 04:04 PM

On the D’Agostino web site, the Classic 2 and Classic 3 are now listed as discontinued.