AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Just picked up my REF40 today.... Wow! (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=8468)

SRT-10 Viper 05-23-2011 04:06 PM

Just picked up my REF40 today.... Wow!

I traded my REF5 for an Anniversary REF40 today. It took a couple months to get it but WOW it sure was worth the wait. Right out of the box with 0 hours it sounds better than my REF5. Soundstage deeper/wider, Bass tighter, highs smoother. Instruments startle me at times... I am sure with break-in time it wil only get better. I asked my wife to sit down to see if she could tell the differece. She said she can't explain it but it sounds better (she then described a wider sound stage and smoother sound). The rest of my system is EMM Labs DAC2/TDS1, Lamm 1.2s, Sasha's and REL G1 Sub.

:banana:

Still-One 05-23-2011 04:19 PM

Nice purchase. Nothing but great things are being said about that unit.

Jim

SRT-10 Viper 05-23-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 167809)
Nice purchase. Nothing but great things are being said about that unit.

Jim

Hey Jim; I was surprised out of the box... Larry was telling me it won't be good at fist until you get some hours on it. What I am hearing surprised me for being right out of the box.

On another topic apparently the session with Wilson, ARC and Transparent
at Paragon is now in October.

Chuck

Still-One 05-23-2011 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 167814)
Hey Jim; I was surprised out of the box... Larry was telling me it won't be good at fist until you get some hours on it. What I am hearing surprised me for being right out of the box.

On another topic apparently the session with Wilson, ARC and Transparent
at Paragon is now in October.

Chuck

Chuck
I knew the event was postponed from Spring. I hope it does not coincide with my October vacation now. :mad:

Was Larry back from Vienna and Munich when you picked up your unit?

Jim

SRT-10 Viper 05-23-2011 04:50 PM

Hey Jim; The event is Oct 27th... Hope you can make it. Larry just got back into the office today.

Still-One 05-23-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRT-10 Viper (Post 167820)
Hey Jim; The event is Oct 27th... Hope you can make it. Larry just got back into the office today.

Chuck, that day should work because I usually schedule fall vacations around Michigan's home football games. There is one Saturday the 29th.

If we don't run into each other before that, I will see you then.

cmalak 05-23-2011 07:14 PM

Chuck...congrats on a great preamplifier. I wish I could pull it off right now but I can't, and they are no longer taking orders on new ones. Maybe I will get a chance to buy a used one down the road. Congrats again on a great addition to your already excellent system :thumbsup:

SRT-10 Viper 05-23-2011 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 167847)
Chuck...congrats on a great preamplifier. I wish I could pull it off right now but I can't, and they are no longer taking orders on new ones. Maybe I will get a chance to buy a used one down the road. Congrats again on a great addition to your already excellent system :thumbsup:

Cyril;

Thanks! I went back and forth several times, even after ordering it, but decided to go for it. So far I'm a happy camper.

Jerome W 05-24-2011 02:09 AM

Congratulations Chuck !
What a nice purchase ! I never heard one but technically, this preamp seem to be among the very best.
If I do replace my C1000 one day, that could be with this one.
Enjoy it in good health :thumbsup: !

joeling 05-24-2011 08:22 AM

Congratulations !

Between 100 to 200hrs, it sounds airy & bass is nice. 200 to 300 hrs, lost the air & sounds a little off. 300+ hrs, magic starting to appear...

Regards,
Joe Ling