AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Streaming & Television Shows (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=171)
-   -   ROKU or? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45426)

DonBattles 03-24-2019 02:53 PM

ROKU or?

I have a older Smart TV and would like a more expansive streaming experience. My TV is only 1080P capable but I’m think that something that will support 4K would be good for the future. I was originally looking at Apple TV but it seems overpriced for what you get. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Yamaki 03-24-2019 03:00 PM

Since my old Oppo only supports certain services I've looked into several boxes, their features, user convenience and what streaming services they support.

It looks to me like the Roku Ultra is right up my alley and that's what I ordered last week.

Good luck with your choice!

nicoff 03-24-2019 05:45 PM

ROKU or?

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 958386)
I have a older Smart TV and would like a more expansive streaming experience. My TV is only 1080P capable but I’m think that something that will support 4K would be good for the future. I was originally looking at Apple TV but it seems overpriced for what you get. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have used Roku, Apple, and Amazon Fire Stick. The Apple is the most expensive option. If you are heavily invested in Apple products, then it might make sense to stay in the family. Roku, Amazon and Google have products that allow you to stream and cost much less.

The GUI is a factor to consider. Apple and Roku come with remotes. But Apple allows you to do search using your iPhone (and Siri) which can save time when searching. Google Chromecast works well with other Google devices. The Amazon product works with Alexa. So as you can see, whatever other products you are using now can lead you toward a streaming solution.

And yes, for the future you want a product that can do 4k (I thought that they all do by now but not certain). Even if your current TV cannot do 4k.

t3chnobrat 03-24-2019 06:21 PM

I'm looking around to replace a Roku non 4k in the bedroom. After about 6 months the remote stopped connecting to the roku box consistently. After looking around online, it seems others have had that issue. The GUI is really nice and the phone app works nicely, but I'm probably leaning towards a Firestick.

stollen 03-25-2019 09:59 AM

I currently have a Roku box and an Nvidia Shield box in different systems. The Roku box does have a very nice interface, but I ran into problems streaming some MKV files that I have stored on my local network, something about a codec not being supported. Also I was getting various pops/clicks when listening to anything with surround sound audio (this was about a year ago). I moved it to a TV only system and it has been fine.

The Nvidia Shield went in to my home theater system and has also been very good, came with a gaming controller as well and you can get some games from the Google play store so it has a little more functionality than the others. However I just found out that the Hulu app on that device is outdated and they have no plans to update it. Since I am going from DirecTV to Hulu that won't work any longer. It also had the same issues with codecs that the Roku did with the native media player, but I was able to get a different media player app to solve the issue.

I currently plan on replacing the Shield with an AppleTV 4K. Yes it is more than the Roku or Fire TV devices, but I also have iPhones, iPads and a Mac laptop so I figure it will fit right in with my current devices.

I assume Roku have the pop/click audio issue resolved by now, but I just don't want to bother with it any more. I want something that just works and from what I have read the AppleTV will do just that in my current setup.

Antonmb 03-25-2019 10:12 AM

I have two Apple TV 4K, they work flawlessly and deliver a great picture.

edward3132 03-25-2019 10:26 AM

May want to see what Apple announces today before deciding.

tigerhonaker 03-25-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonBattles (Post 958386)

Hi Don,

Below is what I went with after considering the other options buddy.
It works exactly as it should with No-Issues buddy. :thumbsup:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...l#post57168298

Terry

krustycat 03-25-2019 06:05 PM

Apple TV, overpriced but the best IMHO.

PMCH 03-25-2019 08:18 PM

I have a Roku Ultra that I connected to my Oppo 205 to stream Netflix. It was a huge disappointment for me for sound and picture quality. I had to remove it so now I use an Oppo 105D connected to my 205 to stream Netflix which I do like.
I do use the Roku Ultra in a bedroom TV only system and it works fine but I am not trying to get the best picture and sound quality out of that TV.