AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wireworld Cables (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Wireworld Power Cords and Power Conditioners/Regenerators (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44364)

btn2803 11-16-2018 11:15 AM

Wireworld Power Cords and Power Conditioners/Regenerators

Hi All -

I am interested in WW powercords and also want to eventually add either a Bryston BIT AVR20 or PS P20, and plan to plug in all of my gears to the power conditioner/regenerator (MC611s, Bryston 9BST amps, Marantz pre-amp/surround processor 8805A, Oppo 205, and PS DAC).

My questions are:

- does it make sense to use just one WW powercord and connect it from the power conditioner/or regenerator to the electrical outlet, and use the “regular” power cords provided with my gears and plug them into the Power conditioner/regenerator? Or you would recommend to use multiple WW Powercords and connect each of the audio equipment (amps, preamp, sources) into the Power conditioner/regenerator, and plug the “regular” powercord that comes with the Bit 20 or P20 into the outlet?
- I believe the WW powercord has some sort of “conditioner” built in. So would it have any impact (positive or negative) if you use them with a Powerconditioner or regenerator?
- Which WW powercord you would recommend for amps: MC611s and 9BST? Should I select a more premium WW powercord for amps versus pre-amp and sources? Or it would be better to stay with the same Powercord line for all gears?

Thanks!

rnrmf1971 11-16-2018 12:44 PM

If you're set on Wireworld power cables, I'd probably suggest getting one or two to start.
In my experience, there's no guarantee about what sounds good and where. Try an upgraded power cable on your source, the conditioner, and amps and see what sounds the best. If you get two power cables, it gives you more flexibility to experiment and see what combination sounds best, and if you think that additional cables will sound good on all your components.

Each range of WW power cables have a different character so the choice should be what best matches your equipment. But in place of trying the different varieties of WW power cables, it does hold true that the higher up the line you go, the more "audiophile" they get.

As far as WW having a conditioner built in, I think it refers to the claims of resistance of the design to noise and emf/rmf - not that there is an active device in the cable - at least this is how I understood it in the past.

GBP 11-16-2018 03:15 PM

I had a WireWorld Silver Elektra 7 for my preamplifier.
Recently I replaced it with an Audioquest Hurricane.
This has been a really noticeable upgrade and I don't cry at all after the WW.
And there is also an audioquest Niagara 5000, which is powered by a Tornado from the wall socket. The power amplifier is then also connected to a Hurricane.

Much higher performance than the WireWorld cables, everyone agrees. But it also costs discreetly more. But...

Masterlu 11-16-2018 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 940730)
And there is also an audioquest Niagara 5000, which is powered by a Tornado from the wall socket. The power amplifier is then also connected to a Hurricane.

Much higher performance than the WireWorld cables, everyone agrees. But it also costs discreetly more. But...

Apples & Oranges... compare the Platinum Electra to the Audioquest Hurricane; I have.

btn2803 11-16-2018 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnrmf1971 (Post 940711)
If you're set on Wireworld power cables, I'd probably suggest getting one or two to start.
In my experience, there's no guarantee about what sounds good and where. Try an upgraded power cable on your source, the conditioner, and amps and see what sounds the best. If you get two power cables, it gives you more flexibility to experiment and see what combination sounds best, and if you think that additional cables will sound good on all your components.

Each range of WW power cables have a different character so the choice should be what best matches your equipment. But in place of trying the different varieties of WW power cables, it does hold true that the higher up the line you go, the more "audiophile" they get.

As far as WW having a conditioner built in, I think it refers to the claims of resistance of the design to noise and emf/rmf - not that there is an active device in the cable - at least this is how I understood it in the past.

Christian,
Thanks for the suggestion of starting with couple of power cables and test them across the components. Make sense! Will try that.

I reached out to WW and asked them when they would upgrade their power cords from current serie 7 to 8. Here is their response:

"We do not have any plans to change our power cords, we are can not figure out how to make them better". :D

btn2803 11-16-2018 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 940732)
Apples & Oranges... compare the Platinum Electra to the Audioquest Hurricane; I have.

Hi Ivan,

I notice that WW has Power Cord Connector upgrade ($140 Retail Price). What are the benefits of this upgrade? I am leaning toward the Silver Electra 7.

Masterlu 11-16-2018 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 940749)
Hi Ivan,

I notice that WW has Power Cord Connector upgrade ($140 Retail Price). What are the benefits of this upgrade? I am leaning toward the Silver Electra 7.

The Upgraded Connector plugs is very worthwhile, I have them on all of mine.

They are all Silver; hand terminated plugs that fit very tightly. The standard plugs are a Clad made with molded connectors.

btn2803 11-16-2018 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 940730)

Hi GBP,

Thanks. The Audioquest Hurricane is out of my price range, especially because I want to buy few power cords. I will do some research on Audioquest 5000, and its more recent model 7000.

btn2803 11-16-2018 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 940750)
The Upgraded Connector plugs is very worthwhile, I have them on all of mine.

They are all Silver; hand terminated plugs that fit very tightly. The standard plugs are a Clad made with molded connectors.

Thanks Ivan. :tresbon:

Masterlu 11-16-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btn2803 (Post 940760)
Thanks Ivan. :tresbon:

Have you seen photos of both? if not I can take one and post it.