AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   MBL, dCS, Goldmund, Gryphon etc (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   MSB Select II DAC (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43072)

docmd2010 07-05-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 918686)
I truly understand your feelings. I love the fact that us guys with small rooms have access to a world class speaker designed just for us. Or at least that's the way it seems to me.

Eric

Eric

I am pondering the idea of an MSB select II as well. We will see if it's in my future. As of now, leaving towards Constellation Centaur II monos to pair it with. I will be curious to hear your comments down the line as to how your system sound once the DAC is broken in.

Cincy2 07-05-2018 03:49 PM

I've got 100 plus hours on it now and all my initial impressions remain. Liquid sound unlike anything I've ever heard. Solid precise imaging. Surreal percussion instrument reproduction (marimbas, cymbals, bones). Startlingly realistic voices. Great dynamics even DAC to amp direct. Bad recordings are better than they were on my dCS Vivaldi but they are still bad compared to a really well recorded disk like Chesky, Mapleshade, Opus3, Telarc, Harmonia Mundi, RCA Living Stereo, et al.

Eric

Cincy2 10-01-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by docmd2010 (Post 921930)
Eric

I am pondering the idea of an MSB select II as well. We will see if it's in my future. As of now, leaving towards Constellation Centaur II monos to pair it with. I will be curious to hear your comments down the line as to how your system sound once the DAC is broken in.

I now have enough time on the DAC to declare it broken in. With my best files (Mapleshade primarily), the sound is beyond description. My dCS Vivaldi was an engineering tour de force but the Select II has taken it to a different level. The biggest improvement is in the saturation of the sound. It is full bodied and smooth like analog. The details stand out in three dimensions more definitively than with the Vivaldi. As I have said before, the effect I hear is what I would expect from a Reference level pre-amp in the system. I currently am going direct to the mono blocks from the Select II. When you consider what you are getting for the price, it's a little less eye watering (to me, not my wife). Because the number of interconnects required is less than for the Vivaldi, I'm going to upgrade both the XLRs and Speaker cables to Transparent Magnum Opus in the next year. At that point, I'll be done (or divorced).

Cincy

docmd2010 10-04-2018 08:58 PM

Magnum Opus eh?

that's quite the system you have built. incredible sounding i bet. Looks like your Momentum Amp's are now the weakest link in your system, especially when you get Magnum Opus to cable it through. Maybe it's time to step up to the relentless?

HookEm 01-07-2019 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 933861)
I currently am going direct to the mono blocks from the Select II. When you consider what you are getting for the price, it's a little less eye watering (to me, not my wife). Because the number of interconnects required is less than for the Vivaldi, I'm going to upgrade both the XLRs and Speaker cables to Transparent Magnum Opus in the next year. At that point, I'll be done (or divorced).

Cincy

Just curious if you have tried a pre-amp on your system?
I don't know what the best pre-amp match would be for the M400, compared to driving it direct for the MSB, but I'd be curious to hear about your impressions (before adding Magnum Opus into the mix).
Thanks.

Cincy2 01-08-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HookEm (Post 948277)
Just curious if you have tried a pre-amp on your system?
I don't know what the best pre-amp match would be for the M400, compared to driving it direct for the MSB, but I'd be curious to hear about your impressions (before adding Magnum Opus into the mix).
Thanks.

I have not tried my current system with a pre-amp in the loop. If I were going to do that, I would use the D'Agostino model.

Eric

PlanarSpeakerFan 01-08-2019 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 948366)
I have not tried my current system with a pre-amp in the loop. If I were going to do that, I would use the D'Agostino model.

Eric

Hi Eric,

My experience is that adding the preamp degrades the sound quality of the Select II DAC. That’s why I sold my wonderful ARC Reference 10. Have never regretted it though.

Best,
Ken

SuperD 01-08-2019 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 948381)
Hi Eric,

My experience is that adding the preamp degrades the sound quality of the Select II DAC. That’s why I sold my wonderful ARC Reference 10. Have never regretted it though.

Best,
Ken

Hi Ken,
Did the pre degrade the sound quality in all aspects? I ask because I would trade some resolution for better flow and musicality that I feel my pre added after installation. If I add the select ii, I'll try it both ways. Kingsrule and I have the same amps and he chose the select ii without his HD pre. It would be nice to recoup some of the cost!!

Dave

HookEm 01-08-2019 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cincy2 (Post 948366)

Eric

Ummh... OK, I'll keep an eye on this thread in case you get a chance to try that.
Thanks.

HookEm 01-08-2019 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlanarSpeakerFan (Post 948381)
Hi Eric,

Best,
Ken

I suppose something like this would be system dependent.
Thanks for sharing your experience.