AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   Mcintosh to Pass Lab (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35692)

jerry1404 05-03-2016 02:26 PM

Mcintosh to Pass Lab

Has anyone experienced going from Mcintosh amps to Pass Lab amps? What were the differences in sound quality, sound stage and detail. Think of making a change.
Thanks

JONERVI 05-04-2016 02:13 AM

Jerry

not sure how large (power output) a Pass amp you are contemplating...but here is my very recent experience.

purchased a used Pass INT-30A (integrated) to get my first ever taste of class A power without investing to much cash. The Pass integrated (once warmed up) provided much more detail better midrange plus a wider soundstage with both my Elipsa's and Tannoy's (vs) my previous McIntosh C50/C2300 to MC 1.2kw's to Elipsa's or Tannoy's set-up. The Pass integrated is impressive (class A power is remarkable) made both my Elipsa's and Tannoy's come alive, however, the low-end provided by the Pass integrated was somewhat lacking (not surprisingly), as this confirmed exactly what I read about the Pass integrated, since it only outputs 30/60watts class A.

Then tried the INT-30A preamp outs into my McIntosh MC 1.2kw's and :music: "WOW" :music: now that's the sound I've been chasing for quite some time, really happy with what I was hearing, the MC 1.2kw's provided better low-end without compromising the new found details, midrange and bigger soundstage provided by the preamp section of the Pass integrated. I now listen to my system much more with the Pass + McIntosh combination vs my full McIntosh set-up.

I'm now thinking how do I get more of that beautiful sound (sounds familiar ?) The preamp section of the INT-30A is = to the Pass XP-10, so I plan to trade the Pass INT-30A towards a Pass Labs XP-20 to feed my McIntosh 1.2kw's. Based on what I have read here and elsewhere regarding the Pass XP-20 that unit should give me the "little bit more" I'm in search of.

I did also think about getting a more powerful Pass class A amp, but along with those come the additional heat/power consumption, that I do not want -- ya gotta love those cool-running MC 1.2kw's (right Jerry :thumbsup: )

BTW........the Pass INT-30A (discontinued and replaced by the INT-60) is a great unit I could easily live with - and the heat output is minimal.

Interesting thing is I originally purchased the Pass INT-30A with the hopes of downsizing my system to a one box solution - oh well, I guess I'm still in the game.

Hope this helps.

mati1979 05-07-2016 12:17 PM

Hi, i have had MA7000, MC302 , MC452+C2300 (3 years) with Gold Lion and now Int 30A Pass.

Pass have more detail, + refined sound + realistic sound with little warm sound.

Im waiting Int 60.

Pass need min 30`min. for warmup.

This 30 watts in Class A looks like 200w of MC

JONERVI 05-07-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mati1979 (Post 778536)
This 30 watts in Class A looks like 200w of MC

mati,

I agree, what speakers do you have ?

mati1979 05-09-2016 07:58 AM

Hi, Wilson Sophia 2. (4 ohms)

paul1 05-11-2016 07:22 AM

Had c2300 mc452 now pas xa30.8 and just put deposit on xp10 pre faster more accurate better lower listing volume
It's a class A thing I think

paul1 05-11-2016 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1 (Post 779187)
Had c2300 mc452 now pas xa30.8 and just put deposit on xp10 pre faster more accurate better lower listing volume It's a class A thing I think

Hope the pre is good I just keep thinking about the xp20 hope I made right decision

JONERVI 05-12-2016 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mati1979 (Post 778827)

very nice :thumbsup:

Accumac 05-15-2016 01:52 PM

Hello
Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality.
For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps.
In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing:
- Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise?
- How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P?
- I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8.
- Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp?

Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem.
Thanks a lot for your insights.

paul1 05-15-2016 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accumac (Post 779937)
Hello Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality. For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps. In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing: - Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise? - How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P? - I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8. - Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp? Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot for your insights.

Low listening is something very well done by pass class a bottom end is still there great tone.

Accumac 05-16-2016 03:42 AM

Thanks for the info Paul

JONERVI 05-17-2016 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1 (Post 780025)
Low listening is something very well done by pass class a bottom end is still there great tone.

+1 :thumbsup:

RichW 06-27-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Accumac (Post 779937)
Hello Just came across this thread. Very interesting subject. Already for quite some time I'm also considering changing my set up to something 'I could retire with' stepping finally into Class'A' territory at the same time. At first I thought of Accuphase, but budget and especially the outrageous pricing and service policy of the company in Europe is not very appealing. In search for alternatives, Pass came up and from what I could find on the Internet, could well be the match I am looking for. Amp wise I prefer staying with monos, ideally either a XA60.8 or XA100.8 (bigger - no budget, lousy waf) but not sure whether the XP100.8 brings much more in sound quality. For better synergies I think replacing my C500/P with a XP 10 or 20 as well when changing amps. In order to be able to listen to a Pass combo I need to travel relatively far, so beforehand I have some questions. If anybody has already some experience or thoughts I would be very grateful for sharing: - Comparing a C500P (SS) vs a Pass XP 10 or 20, would this be an upgrade sound wise? - How do the Pass phono stages compare to the built-in phono stages of the C500P? - I have always the feeling that the C500/MC 501 combo comes to life at higher volumes only and therefore some tone controls (as on my old C48)/loudness button would have been helpful. The Pass preamps don't have a loudness button either. So, how are the Pass amps at low level? As said before my preferred amps would be a 60.8 or 100.8. - Any experience with the reliability of Pass gear? As they should always stay on, is there a need of service after some time, especially if I buy a second hand preamp? Btw, the amps should drive a pair of SF Amati Futuras, which shouldn't be a problem. Thanks a lot for your insights.

I'm coming to the discussion a bit late, but... I talked to the guys at pass about leaving my 30.5 on all the time. They told me they've had Alephs out in the field for 20 years being left on 100% of the time without issue. They also said the XA series is not run nearly as hard as those early amps...

paul1 06-28-2016 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichW (Post 788559)
I'm coming to the discussion a bit late, but... I talked to the guys at pass about leaving my 30.5 on all the time. They told me they've had Alephs out in the field for 20 years being left on 100% of the time without issue. They also said the XA series is not run nearly as hard as those early amps...

Well I don't leave my xa30.8 on all the time I find that it doesn't take long to come on song.
Also by the time I turn on sit down pounder the day and start to relax its sounds fine and as I have always said, a glass of red into it and I am happy.
These class a amps never seem to sound harsh they are just so easy on the ear but quick when they need.
The new .8 series is something very different from the .5 and the point five was great I have read!!
And I had Mac had accuphase and leema acoustic

Bung99 06-29-2016 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul1 (Post 788604)
Well I don't leave my xa30.8 on all the time I find that it doesn't take long to come on song.
Also by the time I turn on sit down pounder the day and start to relax its sounds fine and as I have always said, a glass of red into it and I am happy.
These class a amps never seem to sound harsh they are just so easy on the ear but quick when they need.
The new .8 series is something very different from the .5 and the point five was great I have read!!
And I had Mac had accuphase and leema acoustic

Could not agree more. Went to the 30.8 from the 30.5 and about 30 mins it is on song.:thumbsup:

bruno2009 07-10-2017 11:36 AM

I've actually not moved from one to the other but use both. Currently a McIntosh C52 with MC452 and the phono sections runs with the exceptional Pass XP-15. I love this combination and it brings phantastic sound!!!

raidho 01-05-2019 04:17 PM

Hi,

i now i have a Xp20 with Xa100.8. before Xa100.5

I'm very sadisfait with the "sound Pass class A and AB too .(first Pass was X250.5)

Used with B&W802d2/802d3..., Raidho C3.1, Wilson Sahsa 2, PMC.

I had the possibility to change the "Pass combo" with a 2600 and 462. I think Sonus Faber is the a grest combo with Mc.

What do you think? pull the trigger? or my Pass is better? (i had the Sahsa2 sold... Isophon or Magico A3/Focal -> tweeter hard with Xa100.8 or Amati/Serafino Tradition if I stay with Pass?

thank you for reply.

greatings
style

MMBL622 01-14-2019 05:32 AM

I think Pass amp can work with many other brand’s pre-amp, I’m using ARC Ref 6 pre-amp and Pass X-360.8 amp and I love the sound very much (CDP is Esoteric K-03X and speaker is WA Sophia).

https://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e...psuzc8t3v2.jpg[/URL]

Mikado463 01-14-2019 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raidho (Post 947910)
Hi,

i now i have a Xp20 with Xa100.8. before Xa100.5

I'm very sadisfait with the "sound Pass class A and AB too .(first Pass was X250.5)

Used with B&W802d2/802d3..., Raidho C3.1, Wilson Sahsa 2, PMC.

I had the possibility to change the "Pass combo" with a 2600 and 462. I think Sonus Faber is the a grest combo with Mc.

What do you think? pull the trigger? or my Pass is better? (i had the Sahsa2 sold... Isophon or Magico A3/Focal -> tweeter hard with Xa100.8 or Amati/Serafino Tradition if I stay with Pass?

thank you for reply.

greatings
style

Ok, I hope you change your underwear as often ....... :D

keep what you've got and enjoy your music !

raidho 01-17-2019 05:26 PM

Ok, I hope you change your underwear as often .......

keep what you've got and enjoy your music !

thank you.

(> you too! anyway your opinion?

You have to listen a Grandinote system with Pre Genesi, mono Demone (60watt class A) and the Volta music player!

the monoblock Demone with the 60 watt class A is a killer mono ampli! the Pass Xa160.8 have no change..... the Mc 611 too.

Soeaker? Grantinote Match 9 (better as Magico Smk2) but no berylium twweter...

Go see on te web.:D

Jdsmoke 01-17-2019 09:59 PM

I have been considering going in this direction w a X260.8 vs a mc462. I love the ARC Ref 6 pre-amp w the pass. Great combo.

raidho 01-27-2019 04:16 PM

mmhhhh,

i had Pass x250.5, xa100.5, va100.8 with tube praampli /REF5, Octave hp700,...) but Pass work great with Pass pre.

REI 02-13-2022 01:08 PM

Mcintosh MC601's or Pass Labs X260.8 with Mcintosh C500 pre amp for Wilson Audio Sasha's 1?? All cables are Transparent Audio.
Any comments will be appreciate it.

Formerly YB-2 02-13-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mati1979 (Post 778827)

The Sophia 2 is noted for its ability to perform so well with lower power amps. Something that was lost with the Sophia 3.

Waiting delivery of my INT-25, rated at 25/50wpc (though testing shows it easily doubles that) and will be upgrading my speakers once it has arrived. The Sophia 2 is on my radar for same.

JoeN 02-13-2022 01:49 PM

I’ve the Pass 260.8s. I use to own a Pass XP-27. I now own the EMM Pre. While they sound great with both Pre amps, I enjoy the EMM more. But as with any component this is system specific.

To make sure I’m not missing anything, I’m going to audition some EMM monos later this month, but the Pass may be here to stay. They are tube-like. They produce some of the most wonderful sound that I’ve ever heard. Mellow, liquid and very pleasing. A great engaging sound stage! I wish the XAs didn’t run so hot or I’d own those.

But as with every other amp, they may sound differently in your specific system. I suggest trying them in your home first. I don’t think you will be disappointed.

Macs are good too - I heard them with various Martin Logan’s years ago This said I don’t have much experience with them. My father owned earlier tube Macs, and they were excellent. But IMO the sound of Mac has changed some over time …

Let us know what you finally select and how they sound …

snwghst 03-28-2023 02:14 PM

I started with a Mc 2700 pre to a 257 amp. Even tube rolling didn’t have the sound I was looking for

Today my 2ch is a Pass XP-32, XP-27 phono to a 350.5. Feeding Sopra 3’s. I find the 32 to have a sound that sits between tubes and super detailed solid state while still taming the beryllium tweeters

I’m currently dialing the whole system in with cabling (I do believe modern metallurgy can make a subtle difference).

I destroyed my budget initially so it’s taking a bit longer than anticipated. Lol