AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How do you select your cables? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42397)

joe schmoe 03-06-2018 09:14 PM

How do you select your cables?

As I venture further down this rabbit hole, known as high end audio...I am taking the plunge into upgrading my cables.

I'm starting with my power cables, after those are all replaced I will be moving on to the interconnects, then to seal the deal speaker cables.... Figured I would start with power cables, seeing I just purchased a used PS Audio PPP, with that being said,

What do you look for when buying cables?

PHC1 03-06-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe schmoe (Post 903864)
As I venture further down this rabbit hole, known as high end audio...I am taking the plunge into upgrading my cables.

I'm starting with my power cables, after those are all replaced I will be moving on to the interconnects, then to seal the deal speaker cables.... Figured I would start with power cables, seeing I just purchased a used PS Audio PPP, with that being said,

What do you look for when buying cables?

All the technical specs are rather meaningless considering a cable should compliment the system synergy and/or achieve desired effect if it is a realistic expectation and within the scope of what cables can and can not do. Cables are not miraculous system changers but can have enough influence to shift the balance of a system if everything else is in order. If there was a formula to go by, such as all the parameters you listed and their influence on how a cable will sound in your system, it would be an easy choice. Unfortunately, cables are often a trial and error type of approach with some of the brands being more universally accepted and/or liked than some others. Much of it has to do with the opinions of others and the influence/power of suggestion. :smoking:

Best way is to experiment. What is the best way to experiment? Buy a whole bunch and then sell all the ones you didn't like? No. A much better way is to borrow them and try them in your system once you have addressed proper speaker placement, assembled components that jell well together and put the finishing touch on your system with cables. Borrow them from the Cable Company library and once you come across cables that make your system sound great, stick to them and buy those.

PHC1 03-06-2018 09:30 PM

Once the realization sets in that moving a speaker less than a foot in your room can have a much more significant impact on overall tonal balance of the system and imaging than a $3k pair of speaker cables, it puts things into perspective. :D

joe schmoe 03-06-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 903869)
All the technical specs are rather meaningless considering a cable should compliment the system synergy and/or achieve desired effect if it is a realistic expectation and within the scope of what cables can and can not do. Cables are not miraculous system changers but can have enough influence to shift the balance of a system if everything else is in order. If there was a formula to go by, such as all the parameters you listed and their influence on how a cable will sound in your system, it would be an easy choice. Unfortunately, cables are often a trial and error type of approach with some of the brands being more universally accepted and/or liked than some others. Much of it has to do with the opinions of others and the influence/power of suggestion. :smoking:

Best way is to experiment. What is the best way to experiment? Buy a whole bunch and then sell all the ones you didn't like? No. A much better way is to borrow them and try them in your system once you have addressed proper speaker placement, assembled components that jell well together and put the finishing touch on your system with cables. Borrow them from the Cable Company library and once you come across cables that make your system sound great, stick to them and buy those.

Thank you....Now, what is this Cable Company library that you speak of?

joe schmoe 03-06-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 903870)
Once the realization sets in that moving a speaker less than a foot in your room can have a much more significant impact on overall tonal balance of the system and imaging than a $3k pair of speaker cables, it puts things into perspective. :D

Yes Sir, I am working this with Jennifer Warnes -- Ballad of the Runaway Horse... It is amazing that just a simple turn or inch in or out movement of a speaker can have a such HUGE difference in a sound stage...:music:

PHC1 03-06-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe schmoe (Post 903873)
Yes Sir, I am working this with Jennifer Warnes -- Ballad of the Runaway Horse... It is amazing that just a simple turn or inch in or out movement of a speaker can have a such HUGE difference in a sound stage...:music:

Have fun. :thumbsup: https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library

Poppyhome 03-06-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 903869)
All the technical specs are rather meaningless........

I sold all my expensive cable stuff, and would rather apply moneys to better equipment and try not subjecting myself to cable marketing..........
I'm in favor of the Blue Jeans Cable philosophy :thumbsup:

Of course its all up to you and your listening enjoying with whatever you have or do.

Happy Listening! :music:
Ron

godwinaj 03-06-2018 10:48 PM

Sound vs Price

That's how I make all my speaker, equipment, add-on choices.

Mikado463 03-06-2018 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 903870)

how dare you speak in common sense terms Serge ...................

cma29 03-06-2018 11:47 PM

I like The Cable Company's lending library. By paying a 5% fee you can "borrow" any cable and use it in your system for a week. No better way to find out what works well for you in my view.