AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   McIntosh Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   MAC6700 issues again (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43599)

miner 08-19-2018 03:23 PM

MAC6700 issues again

Last March 2017 I had to send my MAC6700 in for service - software was corrupted. I was not able to power the unit on. Yesterday I was not able to power it down. I reached for the remote to turn it off but no response when using the remote, was not able to switch inputs with remote either. I can change inputs from the input knob on the front panel. Volume control works, too. Just not able to turn off. The unit will power off on its own after 30 minutes. Frustrating to say the least. There is a service center 23 miles away but the weight of unit is enough to cause an issue for me. I have to say this one piece has given me more issues than any other Mc piece I own. I am not able to reset microprocessors since unit won’t shut down while depressing the Standby red button. Any other owners experience similar gremlins?

I have whole-house surge protection at the box and MAC is plugged into an APC20S.

stereo_5 08-19-2018 10:28 PM

You can also reset by unplugging the iec plug, wait a minute and plug back in. It should work. It worked for my MA6600 and C2500 preamp.

miner 08-19-2018 11:08 PM

Thanks. Did that and did not solve the issue

miner 08-19-2018 11:11 PM

Did it one more time and it work! Yeehaw, no need to replace with a Devaliet

SomeGeoffGuy 09-03-2018 03:45 PM

I noticed my display acting up a little bit lately. I reconfigured the CD1 input to the balanced cables running from my Oppo and it seems like it is trying to find a bit rate to show in the display. Sometimes it says "silent" but not always. Are these units known for software issues? I hope not!

-Geoff

miner 09-04-2018 09:42 AM

Reach out to Chuck Hinton (by phone; slow to respond via email) at McIntosh and he will be able to tell you their latest sw available for the 6700.

ejr1953 09-04-2018 11:47 AM

I had the same problem when I had a MAC6700, had the local McIntosh dealer come out to my house and install the then latest version of the firmware.

I too had a whole house surge protector, and had the MAC6700 plugged into a Furman conditioner. After getting the McIntosh back working again, I purchased an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G), plugged that into the wall and the Furman into it, and did not have a problem after that.

SomeGeoffGuy 09-07-2018 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miner (Post 929989)
Reach out to Chuck Hinton (by phone; slow to respond via email) at McIntosh and he will be able to tell you their latest sw available for the 6700.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejr1953 (Post 930014)
I had the same problem when I had a MAC6700, had the local McIntosh dealer come out to my house and install the then latest version of the firmware.

I too had a whole house surge protector, and had the MAC6700 plugged into a Furman conditioner. After getting the McIntosh back working again, I purchased an APC Back-UPS Pro 1500VA UPS Battery Backup & Surge Protector (BR1500G), plugged that into the wall and the Furman into it, and did not have a problem after that.

Thank you for the firmware tip. I had been avoiding messing with it as long as everything was working. It sounds like that might be changing though.

Interesting about the power. I am plugged into a power strip plugged into a circuit that covers the whole living room. I have been trying for six months to get an electrician to my house and put a bunch of dedicated circuits for audio in, but it is almost impossible to get a good contractor right now (and I don't want to just start thumbing through the yellow pages).

-Geoff

limbast 08-15-2022 04:58 AM

I recently had a problem, my MA6700 just stopped turning on. The red LED on the front panel is on, there is no reaction to either the front panel buttons or the remote control. Unplugging the power cable does nothing.

I have read on several forums that this problem sometimes occurs on some devices, this problem is caused by firmware corruption and needs to be updated.
I contacted Chuck Hinton, but he said that I need to contact the regional service center. The nearest Macintosh service center is 1,200 kilometers away. Chuck used to willingly restore 6700 remotely, but now everything has changed, unfortunately.
I have instructions for the firmware, but there is no firmware itself. According to the instructions, you need to press the TST button inside the device. When I press it, my MA6700 is put into programming mode, a new unknown device appears, but there is no firmware.
Does anyone have firmware for MA6700?

Masterlu 08-15-2022 11:22 AM

limbast… Welcome to AA! :wave: