AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   New NR series power cords compared to the older Alpha and Sigma series. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39623)

sander 06-10-2017 11:11 AM

New NR series power cords compared to the older Alpha and Sigma series.

Hi Caelin and Grant,

I was looking at the specs of the New NR series and i wondered if, for example, the new Alpa NR could be considered (performance wise) as a combined version of the older Sigma Analog and Sigma Digital?
And the new Sigma NR could be considered as a refined version of the older Sigma HC?

If that's the case, i think that would be a good reason for a celebration!

I hope you can give us an idea and a fair expectation of the performance of the new NR series in comparison with the older Alpha and Sigma series.

Thanks in advance for your time and responds.

Sander.

CGabriel 06-10-2017 11:19 AM

Start celebrating my friend. :banana:
You hit it straight on. :music:

As you know, we are constantly researching new technologies and materials in a quest to push the boundaries of performance. But more importantly we seek to improve manufacturing efficiencies and parts quality to drive down costs while improving performance.

We are confident we have achieved that with the new NR (Noise Reduction) and EF (Extreme Flexibility) power cables. And we have improved the noise reduction circuits to reduce the number of SKUs.

sander 06-10-2017 12:23 PM

That is wonderful news!
Except of course for your competition in the field, haha!

Other than that, i would like to say that this maybe a small step for the mp3/iPod listener, but a giant leap for us audiophiles!

GerardJ 07-28-2017 11:23 AM

Hello Caelin and Grant
For my Bryston BDP-2 music player I have planned an upgrade from a Alpha Digital to a Sigma Digital. But now you have introduced an new line of PC's I am wondering what to buy. A Sigma Digital or the new Alpha NR. Because the Sigma is a demo cord the prices are therefor almost the same. What would you advise?

Also, I need a power cord replacement for my Mark Levinson 37 CD-drive (currently with NBS mon1 PC). What Shunyata PC is the best choice for the ML?

Thanks again for your help.
Regards, Gerard

GrantS 07-29-2017 09:50 PM

Hi Gerard,

I would say the two power cords you have to choose from are comparable for that application. The same would be true for your 37 CD drive. If the 37 is used as a transport only, the Delta NR could be a lower cost consideration as well.

CD players, DAC's and pre-amps are sensitive to better DTCD (Dynamic Transient Current Delivery), so larger gauge in a power cord matters in terms of performance. For read-only, streaming, digital-signal output devices, gauge matters less and noise reduction matters more. The NR series have broader-band filtration and are pre-conditioned with the KPIP process, which are advances that allow less expensive NR models like Delta and Alpha to outperform their price-point. You can't go wrong with the Sigma Digital either though, so in terms of performance for your listed applications, you have two exceptional options.

Best regards,

Grant

GerardJ 07-30-2017 07:45 AM

Thanks Grant for your clear answer, as always! Regards, Gerard

goone 08-13-2017 10:49 PM

So which one to replace sigma digital? I need to use for my EMM dac
thnx

GrantS 08-14-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goone (Post 861601)
So which one to replace sigma digital? I need to use for my EMM dac
thnx

For the EMM gear, I would recommend either the Alpha NR or Sigma NR, however if you already have a Sigma Digital, that would suffice as well. The NR Series offer a nice improvement over the previous generation at their respective price-points, but I wouldn't advise selling a Sigma Digital to replace with a Sigma or Alpha NR without an audition first.

Regards,

Grant

prepress 08-28-2017 11:07 AM

Hello,

I scored a Venom HC extension cord and was going to get a regular 20A Venom HC to go with it, but wanted to check into the new Delta NR/WF cords first. What gauge are they? Haven't been able to find that info. Thanks!

CGabriel 08-28-2017 11:18 AM

Check the website. The new site has just gone live.

prepress 08-28-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 864192)
Check the website. The new site has just gone live.

I'd been looking at the EF version, which didn't list the gauge in the initial copy. But, it pays to scroll down all the way, as the specs are definitely there. I'd missed it before. Thanks! In too much of a hurry, I guess.

So same gauge as the Venom HC (perfect), but would there be a significant advantage with either Delta? The Venom HC extension plus whichever cord I get will be connecting a voltage regulator to the wall, which supports some of my gear plus another line conditioner (which has gear plugged into it as well).

Thanks again for your patience with a semi-audiophile such as myself and my pretty basic questions. I'm still learning.

CGabriel 08-28-2017 03:18 PM

The Delta conductors are superior because they are VTX. Which means they are constructed as a 'virtual tube'. This construction reduces any skin effects and reduces the inductance of the wire for an equivalent gauge.

Also, the NR version has built-in 'noise reduction' via our CCI filters.

The Delta cables are 'noticeably' superior to the Venom-HC from the feedback we have received from customers worldwide.

prepress 08-30-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 864218)
The Delta conductors are superior because they are VTX. Which means means they are constructed as a 'virtual tube'. This construction reduces any skin effects and reduces the inductance of the wire for an equivalent gauge.

Also, the NR version has built-in 'noise reduction' via our CCI filters.

The Delta cables are 'noticeably' superior to the Venom-HC from the feedback we have received from customers worldwide.

Thanks for that info!

pursuitofnow 09-08-2017 11:32 AM

I've been really impressed with the VENOM PS8 I picked up about a year ago and have been looking to upgrade the cable going to the wall. I had originally thought I'd go with the Alpha HC. I'm using the VENOM DEFENDER and am now wondering if there is any issue with using the NR Alpha with it. Would the NR Alpha be a worthy upgrade? Or should I look for last years Alpha HC?

GrantS 09-08-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pursuitofnow (Post 865989)
I've been really impressed with the VENOM PS8 I picked up about a year ago and have been looking to upgrade the cable going to the wall. I had originally thought I'd go with the Alpha HC. I'm using the VENOM DEFENDER and am now wondering if there is any issue with using the NR Alpha with it. Would the NR Alpha be a worthy upgrade? Or should I look for last years Alpha HC?

You would do well with either power cord as an upgrade from the wall to the Venom PS 8. The new NR Alpha is a measurably better at noise-reduction and has similar gauge to the HC with the VTX conductor set, but if you can find an Alpha HC at a great price on the used market, that should also work very well. I would follow your budget. If you choose the HC, perhaps the savings allows for an upgrade elsewhere.

Best regards,

Grant

pursuitofnow 09-08-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantS (Post 866017)
You would do well with either power cord as an upgrade from the wall to the Venom PS 8. The new NR Alpha is a measurably better at noise-reduction and has similar gauge to the HC with the VTX conductor set, but if you can find an Alpha HC at a great price on the used market, that should also work very well. I would follow your budget. If you choose the HC, perhaps the savings allows for an upgrade elsewhere.

Best regards,

Grant

Thank you, Grant. That is useful advice.

Richard D. George 09-08-2017 10:00 PM

I recently purchased another PS8 for a small system in a different room (with modest amplifier wattage) Rather than getting the Venom HC I bought a Delta NR power cord instead. Sounds great and looks good. Pleased so far.

pursuitofnow 09-09-2017 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard D. George (Post 866097)
I recently purchased another PS8 for a small system in a different room (with modest amplifier wattage) Rather than getting the Venom HC I bought a Delta NR power cord instead. Sounds great and looks good. Pleased so far.

Do you have a Venom HC from your first PS8? If so, how does it compare to the Delta NR? Delta seem like an upgrade?

Richard D. George 09-10-2017 06:40 PM

Pursuiteofnow:

No. MY first PS8 is in a system that does both home theater (5.1) and 2 channel audio. The main power conditioner is a Hydra Talos with Ztron Cobra power cords to the wall (which is a dedicated 20 amp circuit) and to the Classe Sigma SSP processor and the Sigma Amp5. The 4K Sony disc player and the LG OLED 4K TV set also go into the Hydra. The PS8 was added for overflow items including 3 wall warts, a SONOS connect, and a Bluesound Vault2.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Terrycwk 11-26-2018 12:40 AM

Hello Carlin and Grant,

May I ask when using Denali 6000T, is sigma nr significantly better than sigma ef? I’m asking because in the website, pairing sigma ef with 6000t is recommended as one of the possible applications.

Many thanks!

CGabriel 11-26-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrycwk (Post 942198)
Hello Carlin and Grant,

May I ask when using Denali 6000T, is sigma nr significantly better than sigma ef? I’m asking because in the website, pairing sigma ef with 6000t is recommended as one of the possible applications.

Many thanks!

The Denali has such a high level of noise reduction built-in that the NR in the power cables provides little to no additional benefit. We usually recommend the Delta EF, Alpha EF or Sigma EF for use as an input cable to the Denali or Triton power conditioners.

Terrycwk 11-26-2018 01:54 PM

Hi Caelin, thank you so much!

Masterlu 11-26-2018 04:10 PM

Terrycwk... Welcome to AA! :wave:

Terrycwk 11-26-2018 08:57 PM

Thank you Masterlu! =]

j3brow 11-26-2018 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 942236)
The Denali has such a high level of noise reduction built-in that the NR in the power cables provides little to no additional benefit. We usually recommend the Delta EF, Alpha EF or Sigma EF for use as an input cable to the Denali or Triton power conditioners.

With the Typhon QR in front of Triton v3, would it still be Sigma EF wall to TQR and then the included TQR power cord between TRQ and Tv3?

CGabriel 11-27-2018 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j3brow (Post 942295)
With the Typhon QR in front of Triton v3, would it still be Sigma EF wall to TQR and then the included TQR power cord between TRQ and Tv3?

If you bought the TQR (Typhon) after the Tv3 (Triton), connect the TQR to the wall with the power cord that you used to connect the Tv3 to the wall. It doesn’t matter if the cable was an NR or EF type. The TQR and the Tv3, both require a C19 type power connector at the input. So the cable used for the Tv3 is compatible with what is required for the TQR.

If you purchase the Tv3 and TQR together as the reference stack, I would recommend a Sigma EF to connect the TQR to the wall. Then use the supplied Sigma Typhon umbilical to connect the Tv3 to the TQR.

Terrycwk 11-27-2018 01:35 PM

Hi Caelin,

Actually i’m using an Alpha HC for the Denali 6000T now, will improvement be significant if upgrading to a Sigma EF?

Thanks!

Crumhorn 11-27-2018 10:52 PM

Hi Caelin,

I'm currently using an Alpha NR between my 6000T & the wall. (As my dealer didn't inform me that the Alpha EF would be just as good...)

How much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make? (I have my mono blocks plugged into the HC outlets, & my preamp, phono stage, SACD player, & active bass crossover plugged into the "source" outlets.)

Thanks.

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM

CGabriel 11-29-2018 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terrycwk (Post 942347)
Hi Caelin,

Actually i’m using an Alpha HC for the Denali 6000T now, will improvement be significant if upgrading to a Sigma EF?

Thanks!

The Alpha HC is one of the best high current cables we have produced.

However, the Sigma EF is formidable.

CGabriel 11-29-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 942427)
Hi Caelin,

I'm currently using an Alpha NR between my 6000T & the wall. (As my dealer didn't inform me that the Alpha EF would be just as good...)

How much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make? (I have my mono blocks plugged into the HC outlets, & my preamp, phono stage, SACD player, & active bass crossover plugged into the "source" outlets.)

Just to be clear, the EF is not superior to the NR version. They are the same cable in construction and connectors except the NR version have built-in noise reduction. AAMOF, the NR is usually superior in performance to the EF when used on individual components. It is just that in this very specific application - the wall to Denali cable - that the NR has little to no advantages over the EF version. It is for this reason we recommend the EF version since it costs less.

And to be fair to the dealer, the EF version was released sometime after the NR version. So depending upon when you purchased the cable the dealer may not have been aware of it for this application.

Crumhorn 12-01-2018 02:33 AM

Hi Caelin,

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 942612)
Just to be clear, the EF is not superior to the NR version. They are the same cable in construction and connectors except the NR version have built-in noise reduction. AAMOF, the NR is usually superior in performance to the EF when used on individual components. It is just that in this very specific application - the wall to Denali cable - that the NR has little to no advantages over the EF version. It is for this reason we recommend the EF version since it costs less.

And to be fair to the dealer, the EF version was released sometime after the NR version. So depending upon when you purchased the cable the dealer may not have been aware of it for this application.

So to reiterate the main reason for my post, how much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make, compared to my Alpha NR, given my system?

Thanks.

SOTA Cosmos (vacuum, Electronic Flywheel), SME V, Koetsu Rosewood Signature
Esoteric X-05 SACD player, Alesis ML-9600 mastering CD burner, Nakamichi 700 ZXE Cassette Deck!
Pass Labs XP-15 phono stage
Pass Labs XP-30 (with Revelation Audio Labs 'Passage' CryoSilver Reference DualConduit DB-25 umbilical cables) & Hovland HP-100 preamps
Edge G8+ laser-biased monoblocks & Classé M-700 monoblocks
Rockport Atria & Infinity IRS Beta Speakers
Audience AU24 SX Phono cable, MIT Shotgun ICs & SCs
Shunyata Denali 6000T power conditioner, Shunyata Alpha NR, Delta NR, Viper Ztron, Venom HC & Harmonic Technology PCs, Audio Magic Ultimate SHD Bees Wax Fuse, Synergistic Research Blue & Black fuses, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses
Klaudio LP200 ultrasonic RCM

lostinla 12-01-2018 11:18 AM

I have a 6000S and have been using an Alpha NR. I received a Sigma NR on trial yesterday (didn't know about the Sigma EF). It's settling into the system and I will report back....

btn2803 12-01-2018 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostinla (Post 942904)
I have a 6000S and have been using an Alpha NR. I received a Sigma NR on trial yesterday (didn't know about the Sigma EF). It's settling into the system and I will report back....

Look forward to your report. My understanding is that an NR cable will not add much if you connect it to the Denali 6000 which has NR built-in. Potential savings if you go the EF route.

Do you plan to connect the 6000S to your Dags? If so, how do you like it versus plugging the Dags directly to the wall outlet? Any loss in dynamics or change in SQ?

lostinla 12-03-2018 01:43 AM

Comparing the S250 direct vs. via the 6000s was very subtle. My son (8 yrs) picked the direct to the wall as slightly better. I struggled as with the Denali it sounded smoother

As for the power cord difference - the main difference seemed to be sound stage. The Sigma presenting a deeper bass background on some songs. On others the difference was hard to tell.

This is just my initial impressions - will revisit when have more time.

Terrycwk 12-03-2018 02:51 PM

Hi Caelin,

So in using with a streamer or DAC, my understanding is that the Alpha NR should do a better job than the Alpha HC as digital noises are greater in these components, correct?

alamak 12-07-2018 01:15 PM

Hi Caelin,

Can you please advise which powercord is a better option for AR Ref5SE:

Alpha HC or Alpha NR? And why?

Appreciate your insights. Thank you.

CGabriel 12-07-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alamak (Post 943856)
Hi Caelin,

You are comparing two different generations of power cords. Our NR / EF series power cords are the current generation. The prior generation included the Alpha Digital, Alpha Analog and the Alpha HC power cords. Both generations featured built in noise reduction filters. And both made use of our own CopperConn connectors that feature solid copper contacts.

The differences between the old generation and the new:

1) NR series has a more advanced filter system. This has measurably better noise reduction. It also eliminated the need for 3 different cords built for different applications such as digital, analog and high current.

2) The new NR generation cables are all treated on our proprietary KPIP processor. (Kinetic Phase Inversion Process). This was not available in the prior generation.

CGabriel 12-07-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crumhorn (Post 942854)
Hi Caelin,

So to reiterate the main reason for my post, how much of an improvement would a Sigma EF make, compared to my Alpha NR, given my system?

Thanks.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy in the lab lately.

This is always a difficult question to answer because you are asking for a subjective and perceptual “opinion”. Not everyone’s perceptual equipment is the same and certainly nobody’s system and room acoustics are the same. All of these play a profound role in answering your question.

If you are asking for MY opinion in MY custom built listening room - then I would say the difference is quite substantial. The Sigma will provide a better low frequency foundation for the music. It has a more expansive quality in soundscape along with a slightly less forward presentation. If a musician plucks a string on a guitar the decay of the note is longer with the Sigma - implying that low level resolution is superior. This gives a sense of being immersed in the music to a greater degree.

The Alpha HC was and still is an exceptional cable, especially considering its price. But the Sigma is superior whether it is the EF or NR version.

CGabriel 12-07-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alamak (Post 943856)
Hi Caelin,

Alpha NR.
See other responses please.

Crumhorn 12-07-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGabriel (Post 943876)
Sorry for the late reply. I have been busy in the lab lately.

This is always a difficult question to answer because you are asking for a subjective and perceptual “opinion”. Not everyone’s perceptual equipment is the same and certainly nobody’s system and room acoustics are the same. All of these play a profound role in answering your question.

If you are asking for MY opinion in MY custom built listening room - then I would say the difference is quite substantial. The Sigma will provide a better low frequency foundation for the music. It has a more expansive quality in soundscape along with a slightly less forward presentation. If a musician plucks a string on a guitar the decay of the note is longer with the Sigma - implying that low level resolution is superior. This gives a sense of being immersed in the music to a greater degree.

The Alpha HC was and still is an exceptional cable, especially considering its price. But the Sigma is superior whether it is the EF or NR version.

Sorry to belabor the point, but does your answer above refer to a "Sigma EF vs Alpha HC" or "Sigma EF vs Alpha NR", which it what I have? I ask because in your last paragraph you reference the Alpha HC, rather than the Alpha NR that I have...

Thanks!