AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Martin Logan (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=55)
-   -   The CLX Sound (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=17470)

jrsystems 11-25-2012 08:34 AM

The CLX Sound
 
I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!

netroamer 11-25-2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 400410)
I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!

I thought the CLX's were a bit bright, also. I found that working on the position and rearward pitch yielded an improvement. I used a pitch of 2.5 degrees (mine are 18' from the prime listening position) and made sure the angle of each was dead on when using the light method of alignment.

As for the Stage, I am seriously considering replacing my Stage with a Paradigm C5. I have come to the conclusion that the Stage is just not a compatible match for the CLX. The CLX and Stage are driven by MC601's.

I sent the following email to Martin Logan, a couple of weeks ago. I have not yet had a reply.

Today, my wife and I, saw the movie Skyfall in a 4k Ultra Theater. this was the first theater experience I have had in 15 years. The impression I left the with was that the Stage is the weak link in my system. The center channel audio in the theater was full, with a depth that my system sorely lacks.

I am going to experiment with increasing the sub woofer cross-over and even changing the system to a phantom center and letting the CLX carry the weight.

A new high-end center channel design should be a high priority.

jrsystems 11-25-2012 06:08 PM

I should have asked before buying the Stage!

netroamer 11-28-2012 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 400692)
I should have asked before buying the Stage!

As additional information, what taps on the 501's are you using to drive the CLX? If other than 4 ohm, try that tap. I made a difference for me.

peacefulcargo 11-30-2012 04:39 PM

Some info, I have no problems with brightness at all with my CLXs, I play about 1900 lossless cd's. I stream at 44.1 as it sounds more natural to me. Cabling is JPS Aluminata (speaker/interconnect) and Locus Design (digital). I used to have MC 501s myself (I think they are not the problem, I used to use mine on 4ohm taps). I would recommend getting 2 subs (as you can see I use 4) for all the usual reasons to equalize the room, create atmosphere and space with the sound. I listen to TV and movies in 2.1 configuration and prefer not to have a centre. A Stage X is due for release.

redm 11-30-2012 04:48 PM

So is it true the F113 doesn't have an integrated crossover?

chessman 11-30-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redm (Post 403531)
So is it true the F113 doesn't have an integrated crossover?

It has a low pass filter, but no high pass filter. It has an "ELT" adjustment to attenuate or raise the signal at 25 H. It has variable relative phase from 0 to 180. To me, that boils down to "No."

chessman 11-30-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chessman (Post 403535)

It has a low pass filter, but no high pass filter. It has an "ELT" adjustment to attenuate or raise the signal at 25 H. It has variable relative phase from 0 to 180. To me, that boils down to "No."

I meant no integrated cross-over.

patsuh 03-26-2013 09:27 PM

About clx brightness
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrsystems (Post 400410)
I have lived with my CLXes now for over a year. I just got a Stage center to round things out. I have been tweaking my JL f113 sub to better integrate and I am currently seriously considering a second sub and electronic crossover.

As I was warned, one issue with the speakers is that they are particularly unforgiving. Poor recordings just sound terrible. But then great recordings yield some of the best sound I've heard anywhere -the part that I love. It is with what is in between that troubles me. The average recording tends to be on the bright side. This is also true of some television in surround as well. I actually turn down the treble to compensate occasionally. It is the one thing that troubles me about these speakers.

I have all McIntosh gear which is known for its tube-like smoothness and Harmonic Technology cables that are also considered to be on the warmer side. So it is the speakers that appear to be the source of this excessive brightness.

Have others experienced this with CLXes or other Martin Logan speakers? Any suggestions on how I might address this?

Thanks!

I have the following system:
Martin clxs with some mods
Transparent reference xl mm2 loudspeakers cables
Audioresearch ref 150
Transparent reference mm2 balanced interconnects
Audioresearch ref5se preamplifier
Audioresearch ph8 phonostage
Meridian 800'dvd player
Meridian 861v6 surround processor
Meridian mc200
Vpi classic 3 turntable
Transparent mmx power cords and filters
The clxs are in fact bright when you push too hard, but mostly it is the components that you use with them, they are the most neutral and resolving loudspeakers in world

Tonepub 03-27-2013 09:43 PM

I love Mac and I love MartinLogan. Had the CLX as a reference speaker for just over three years. (had #005 and #006) I've never liked CLX's paired with McIntosh. Always a very brittle, un-dynamic relatively flat sound.

Try a big pair of Pass Class A amps, a Burmester 911, the CJ Premier 350 and you'll be floored at what you're hearing.

If you're CLX's sound overly bright, you don't have the right setup. One of the most natural sounding speakers I've ever used.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
ęCopyright 2009-2018 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.