AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Aerial Acoustics (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Aerial 7Ts with Subwoofer (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=31674)

Ricjor1 05-21-2015 04:42 PM

Aerial 7Ts with Subwoofer

I understand every room is different, but for those that have subs with their Aerial 7Ts, where do you have it crossing over?

Masterlu 05-22-2015 11:11 AM

I recently added a JL F212 mine is x/o at 45Hz

scirica 05-22-2015 01:18 PM

Ivan: Are the Aerials running full range and this is just supplemental low bass?

Masterlu 05-22-2015 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scirica (Post 701381)
Ivan: Are the Aerials running full range and this is just supplemental low bass?

Steve... yes, the Sub can also be used with my TAD CR1's since they are in the same Accuphase system.

scirica 05-22-2015 02:39 PM

Nice!

Ricjor1 05-22-2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 701361)
I recently added a JL F212 mine is x/o at 45Hz

Ivan,

Thanks for the response. Now that I've added dual subs, I know Ill keep the
7Ts for a long time. If there is anyone on the fence regarding running subs with 7ts, do yourself a favor and purchase some. I submit you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.

clpetersen 11-03-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricjor1 (Post 701397)
Ivan,

Now that I've added dual subs, I know Ill keep the
7Ts for a long time. If there is anyone on the fence regarding running subs with 7ts, do yourself a favor and purchase some. I submit you'll be pleasantly surprised by what you hear.

Agree with this. In our case, we have the Aerial 6T's, so not as low as the 7T's (35 vs 28 Hz at -1.5 dB). We added dual subs, and kept the Aerials running full range (tried both ways). Subs I tried were Paradigm, JL Audio, and REL. Kept the RELs. The REL's (in my opinion) just blended better, and in fact REL uses a 12 dB/octave filter rather than the more common 24 dB filters. I think this worked very well in a music only set-up. Used the 'Sound Doctor' test CD and a few 'sub crawls' to get everything balanced.

Sunshyne 11-03-2015 06:35 PM

Clpetersen, what model JL's and REL's did you use? Did you use an active crossover or just subs to amp or preamp?

clpetersen 11-04-2015 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunshyne (Post 738229)
Clpetersen, what model JL's and REL's did you use? Did you use an active crossover or just subs to amp or preamp?

I tried the JL Audio E110. This was the most versatile sub I tried with active 24 dB/octave crossovers, hi-pass feed thru back to amplifier, etc. I felt two subs worked better in our set-up and ended up with REL T-7's (30 Hz lower -6dB). With the REL I found it easier to blend in with the Aerial's, which I run full range. I did like the REL-preferred high level connections via a simple Neutrik connector - this also simplified our wiring as I simply connected to the extra terminals on the backs of the Aerials. Since I run pretty heavy gauge to the Aerials, any tiny signal drop over the short length of speaker cable was deemed (by me) to be inconsequential. Many people would run the REL cable back to the main amp.

Both are excellent; I just preferred the sound of REL in our setup (music only in this room).

Sunshyne 11-04-2015 06:51 PM

Thanks Clpetersen! It's not often that you can talk to someone who has used both products being considered. I was looking into both of those exact model subs for music and only have experience with the REL which I enjoy a lot.