AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   Turntable/Cartridge ideas for Shindo system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13562)

gortnipper 05-09-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindoug (Post 308012)
Mikeyc / Sibelius

Are there any particular mats that your guys are using which seems to obviate the need for a record weight?

Also, those of you who have Garrard turntables, do you use the little rubber washers between the actual turntable and your various plinths ? (I'm currently building a plywood plinth - and not sure if I mount the 401 directly to the wood or use the rubber washers inbetween)

A lot of debate on this over time. General consensus is use the washers.

My rubber washers were perished when I got the decks, and Perfect Sounds washers were a bit pricey for, errr...washers. I ended up using fibre plumbing washers, to good effect.

A lot of debate over mats as well, since the aluminium platters are somewhat bell-like at times. I have found that a 3mm cork under-mat (found at a crafts store) with a sorbethane mat works very well. Much better than with the stock mat wiht/without cork. Didnt bust the bank either!

adhesiv 05-10-2012 02:43 AM

all the subtle little tweaks add up to the final outcome. For the mats has anyone ever tried damping material like dynamat or 3M?

gortnipper 05-10-2012 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhesiv (Post 308143)
all the subtle little tweaks add up to the final outcome. For the mats has anyone ever tried damping material like dynamat or 3M?

I think I recall that being discussed either on VA or VE Garrard forum, with not so good results. You may want do do a search cuz I could be way off base.

I know it is a popular tweak for under certain Thorens' chassis.

I have also heard the honeycomb like foam throw-carpet non-slip underlay works, but have not tried that!

jaspert 05-11-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gortnipper (Post 308042)
Cool, Jaspert. How do you like your Apparition? I have one on my 401, and am quite fond of it.

Big fan of Apparition. Bargain!

Mikeyc 05-14-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shindoug (Post 308012)
Mikeyc / Sibelius

Are there any particular mats that your guys are using which seems to obviate the need for a record weight?

Also, those of you who have Garrard turntables, do you use the little rubber washers between the actual turntable and your various plinths ? (I'm currently building a plywood plinth - and not sure if I mount the 401 directly to the wood or use the rubber washers inbetween)

Yes, like Sebelius I've tried probably half a dozen weights, including some very expensive ones made out of ebony and aluminum and they never did make any noticeable improvement in the sound. It may have something to do with my mat, which is by Oracle. Its quite heavy and dense, made out of methacrylate which resembles a very dense acrylic. Its permanently glued to the platter and works quite well in my system.

adhesiv 05-14-2012 02:40 PM

Interesting difference of opinion on the weights. I'm sure i can find someone to lend me one and then see for myself if any difference or not. Since I'm still learning about all of this, can someone explain the difference between a suspended and non-suspended turntable design and which camp the Garrard 301 falls into?

gortnipper 05-15-2012 12:02 AM

Suspended has springs, air or some sort of compliant "suspension" the deck rides on - like a LP12, SME 20/12, VPI HRX, etc.

Strictly speaking, the Garrard is not a supsended deck design, since the motor unit itself is not wedded to specifice plinth design which use a suspension, as the decks mentioned above are. Generally, Garrards preform better on a high-mass and solid plinth design, so non-suspended.

Historically, Garrards were recommended to be used on a spring mounted platform by Garrard, since that was the design of the day back when. However, this caused a lot of the rumble issues that became part of the basis around the negative perception of idler decks. A modern exception to what I state is the Loricraft style plinth, which has a mounting platform which rests on squash balls as isolation and that you could argue is truly a suspended design and has a good reputation for working well.

Again, however, these are plinth designs and not the Garrard itself.

Capiche? ;-)

Jerome W 05-15-2012 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot
Anyone want to buy a Shindo/Garrard301???

Contact me; say66@mac.com

Stephen,
Are you serious ?
You're fond of this table. What's happening ?

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

TommyC 05-15-2012 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot
Anyone want to buy a Shindo/Garrard301???

Contact me; say66@mac.com

I thought you're done with upgrading? What's happening?

adhesiv 05-17-2012 01:11 AM

talk about a cliffhanger...what's with the change in direction on the Shindo 301 Stephen?