AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Clearaudio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Accu drive (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=26314)

fgchong 04-15-2014 08:58 AM

Accu drive

My latest addition to the family:music::music:

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...psb849cc7b.jpg

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/...ps747de44a.jpg

telematic 04-15-2014 09:08 AM

Nas?

mulveling 05-05-2014 02:53 PM

Interesting! It's pretty! Do they come in black? Any impressions of sonic differences?

Also, I have noticed that the Clearaudio Innovation motors emit a very low-level high frequency whine when running; are you able to note an improvement in this particular area?

jdandy 05-05-2014 04:42 PM

fgchong.......The Clearaudio AccuDrive is an interesting power supply using two lead acid batteries to develop 24 VDC for the turntable motor with a claimed voltage deviation of less than 0.2 mV. That is impressive.

I see you have the Thorens TD 550 on the top shelf. That is also a very substantial turntable.

fgchong 05-05-2014 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 604347)
Interesting! It's pretty! Do they come in black? Any impressions of sonic differences?

Also, I have noticed that the Clearaudio Innovation motors emit a very low-level high frequency whine when running; are you able to note an improvement in this particular area?

Yes, I think they also come in black.

I also noticed the sound from the motor when running; no difference with or without the Accu drive

fgchong 05-05-2014 11:27 PM

Dan, I bought it after a week of home trial, the difference is quite substantial in my system.

I fall in love with the TD550 when I first saw this lovely turntable in one of the local show last year, I bought it almost immediately but have to wait almost 3 months for its arrival. I am now using Koetsu Jade on the Ortofon arm and the combination works pretty well.

jdandy 05-05-2014 11:32 PM

fgchong.......Your system looks fantastic. Two premium turntables offers some exciting choices to spin vinyl. In your opinion, how would you compare the Thorens TD-550 to the Clearaudio Innovation?

mulveling 05-06-2014 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 604498)
fgchong.......Your system looks fantastic. Two premium turntables offers some exciting choices to spin vinyl. In your opinion, how would you compare the Thorens TD-550 to the Clearaudio Innovation?

Seconded, that's a darn good question! That Thorens looks very intersting (and pretty), but I have no chance to hear one over here. Would also love to play with that Ortofon arm. Quite a haul of gear there for 1 column of rack!

Cool that you've also got a Jade -- I've run mine on the Clearaudio/Graham and also a SOTA/Fidelity Research before that. Love that cartridge -- I find it well worth the money over the (very nice) RSP. Also noticed some differences between the Onyx and Jade, but can't be sure whether that's just from unit-to-unit variation. But the stone bodies definitely have cleaner treble and more solid bass than the wood, and mids at least on par.

fgchong 05-06-2014 04:59 AM

Both turntables has their strength and weakness and depending on my mood; I prefer the Innovation when listening to rock, country and instrumentals while the 550 for jazz and vocals. I am using Clearaudio Da Vinci cart on the universal arm for the Innovation.

Carloski 08-10-2014 01:59 PM

Hello Fgchong.
I ACCU DRIVE home. What I have just one week. I down load level to 9% but not loading up. Not as active to load. It remains to 9%.
You know how the batteries can be charged at 100%.

Thanks for your help.

fgchong 08-10-2014 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carloski (Post 629656)
Hello Fgchong.
I ACCU DRIVE home. What I have just one week. I down load level to 9% but not loading up. Not as active to load. It remains to 9%.
You know how the batteries can be charged at 100%.

Thanks for your help.

From my experience, the auto-charging of this accu-drive is not consistent i.e. it can occurred at any level of batteries storage. You can removed the output lead (cable to the turntable) to ensure that there is no load to the accu-drive unit before switching on the unit for charging and this way you should be able to charge the unit to 100%.

Actually the level of the storage doesn't matter as long as the battery is still able to power your turntable motor.

Hope this will help.

ctop 08-12-2014 01:40 PM

+1...exactly the same experience for me

Carloski 01-24-2015 08:49 PM

Thank You very much.
Salute you from Spain.

vaakko 11-03-2015 02:59 PM

I'm thinking about getting the accu drive for my Innovation. What's the main upgrade to the sound using it?

statfi 12-22-2015 12:56 AM

Could you gives more details about how it improved the sound?