AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Klipsch Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Trachorns (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=2675)

deafbykhorns 11-18-2009 09:30 PM

Trachorns

I am pondering over a pair of Trachorns by Martinelli (ALK) sound for my Khorns. I've read these things outperform the original K-400 horns. Any opinions or experiences would be helpful. I already have the ALK universal xovers which made a huge difference in the imaging. Ready to take the next step or buy a new pair of speakers.

jdandy 11-18-2009 09:33 PM

John......Can you spell PMC? :D

deafbykhorns 11-18-2009 09:35 PM

I was going to, but didn't want to hijack my own thread
My fingers wanted to type PMC :D

Whatever 11-28-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deafbykhorns (Post 48588)
I was going to, but didn't want to hijack my own thread
My fingers wanted to type PMC :D

I installed a pair ( along with Beyma tweeters) in my Belles and the difference was night and day. Best money I ever spent

Vintage Pete 11-28-2009 11:45 PM

Whatever1....welcome to AA. This is a great forum, with a lot of great people. Welcome!

Pete

wpines 11-29-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatever1 (Post 50353)
I installed a pair ( along with Beyma tweeters) in my Belles and the difference was night and day. Best money I ever spent

Welcome to the forum whatever. I've got a pair of Belle's coming my way and I've always been curious about ALK's upgrades. I've read nothing but raves about the trachorn/beyma upgrade. Where are you buying your parts? How much do they cost? Are you buying a Beyma or Crites tweeter too?

Still-One 11-29-2009 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whatever1 (Post 50353)

Welcome Whatever1. :wave:

two dot 11-29-2009 03:54 PM

Many here have made the switch from Klipsch to PMC...

Most seem to be staying with the PMC's...

But, I will add, that with the right room the mighty K Horns are almost impossible to beat!!!

deafbykhorns 11-30-2009 02:51 PM

I feel like I need to complete my due diligence by making that next step with the Trachorns before moving on, like Jim did with the Sonus Fabers. I would do each upgrade separately to make a fair analysis of the change.
The ALK universal crossovers kept me interested in the Khorns for the last 5 years as they made a night and day difference over the stock xovers.
PMC is still not out of the question, I need to get some input using these in a larger room (sounds like another thread in PMC).

Welcome Whatever1, thanks for the input!

jwc 12-04-2009 05:16 PM

Whatever....nice to see you here.

I've listened to several of the tractrix horns. This would include the V-trac 260, The Tractrix 223, and fast tracs. Basically the same designs as the Trachorn but with different cutoff Fc, Throat size changes, and different mouth dimensions to fulfill their application.

These pure tractrix horns walk all over the K400/401.....easily. I wouldn't hesitate at all to make the change. I would say the horn change with give a bigger plus than the network changes (which I'm a fan of as well).

jc