AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Power Conditioners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Torus AVR 20 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=39115)

Slimbo 04-15-2017 11:06 PM

Torus AVR 20

1 Attachment(s)
Just brought this home today. What a beast weighs about 100 pounds.
This is one of the greatest improvements of any component I've ever added.
Lots of great reviews about it.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/atta...2&d=1492311990

Attachment 50022

JemHadar 04-16-2017 03:34 AM

Congratulations

I own an AVR 16 and TOT Max, both are the European version. They are heavy indeed ;-)

audioextreme 07-28-2017 09:11 PM

Slimbo, what kind of improvements did you notice? Was it huge? Do you have a ton of voltage variation in your house? Mine varies from 115-124 V.

I have a niagara unit right now and was considering shifting it to my other, smaller system and getting this for my reference room. Would love to hear you thoughts.

Mahalo 07-28-2017 10:29 PM

I've also heard only good about the Torus. I'm planning on trying one out in September.

audioextreme 07-28-2017 11:41 PM

In particular, would like to know if everyone has heard the Torus AVR 20 in comparison to the Shunyata Denali unit.

Slimbo 07-29-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioextreme (Post 858542)
Slimbo, what kind of improvements did you notice? Was it huge? Do you have a ton of voltage variation in your house? Mine varies from 115-124 V.

I have a niagara unit right now and was considering shifting it to my other, smaller system and getting this for my reference room. Would love to hear you thoughts.

The improvement is spectacular I would never consider living without this beast. Even my totally non audiophile wife has noticed the difference and she is the ultimate sceptic about our obsession.
I had good steady voltage and a dedicated 20 amp line to my Shunyata PS 8 and defender.
The torus is a huge improvement over this. It is not a small increment but instantly noticeable.

audioextreme 07-29-2017 01:16 PM

wow. did you look at the RM20 also?

Right now i'm auditioning a shunyata denali with shunyata power cords and i haven't noticed a significant difference when just using stock power cords and plugging everything into the wall (call me crazy, but i just didn't).

i have the Furutech GTX-d-r outlets with cover plates, with 20 amp lines.

What power cords are you using for your equipment? I'm looking at wireworld and nordost at the moment. Wireworld seems cost effective, but nordost seems to have the best sound, but you need to fork out the cash. Thanks!

Daniel

Slimbo 07-29-2017 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioextreme (Post 858625)
wow. did you look at the RM20 also?

Right now i'm auditioning a shunyata denali with shunyata power cords and i haven't noticed a significant difference when just using stock power cords and plugging everything into the wall (call me crazy, but i just didn't).

i have the Furutech GTX-d-r outlets with cover plates, with 20 amp lines.

What power cords are you using for your equipment? I'm looking at wireworld and nordost at the moment. Wireworld seems cost effective, but nordost seems to have the best sound, but you need to fork out the cash. Thanks!

Daniel

I originally heard a Torus at the home of a Tone magazine reviewer in Portland. He recommended it highly. I brought my AVR 20 home for a demo and no way was it going back.
I use power cables made by my dealer in Vancouver. They work great and improved the sound even before the Torus.
All of my other cabling is Nordost Frey 2 and Audioquest Vodka Ethernet cables.
All have made improvements over what was there previously. I was sceptical about the Ethernet cables but they are something else that won't be leaving my system.Attachment 51404

Ricjor1 07-31-2017 09:06 PM

I had the Torus RM-15 and now the RM-20. I recall installing the RM-15 for the first time and how it improved the sound. In particular the RM-15 provide a slightly more detailed sound. Going from the RM-15 to RM-20 had much more impact...cleaner, easier to hear details deeper in the soundstage, much tighter/articulate bass. All that being said, I'm still curious to try the Shunyata Denali.

GWNG8 12-08-2017 11:28 AM

Is there a break-in period with these things?