AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Best furniture polish for loudspeakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43848)

audioguy3107 09-18-2018 04:00 PM

Best furniture polish for loudspeakers

Do any of you have a good recommendation for a high quality furniture polish or cream for high quality loudspeaker finishes? I’d like to polish the burled walnut cabinet on the Avalons but am afraid to use something that would harm the finish. I’m thinking finishes like those found on speakers such as the Aerials, B&W walnut and rosenut finishes, Audio Physic.......cabinets such as these with rich dark tones. Any recommendations?

- Buck

Mikado463 09-18-2018 04:59 PM

Old English .......

Poppyhome 09-18-2018 07:39 PM

I would first contact the manufacturer asking for their recommendation......

Only use 100% cotton cloths without labels - not microfiber, despite all the hoopla. Microfiber cloths create fine line scratches and swirl marks while 100% (Griots) cotton does not. I have tested this on numerous black colored cars - microfiber cloths SCRATCH and that's my experience.

Since your speakers only need a light dust wiping, I would spray the cloth slightly with Griots Speed Shine, as it is a water based product with light silicone, and lightly buff. I use this weekly on my Black Gloss JL Subs and they look as new, without any swirl or scratch marks. I also use it on my Cremons M's that have a satin finish, and it works beautifully.

I would stay away from any oil or harsh solvent based products. I don't think furniture polish is really needed, as the wood most likely is sealed and you will not be nourishing it..........but that's my opinion, and Speed Shine will give you great results easily so you could listen to your music sooner. :music:

Ron

Masterlu 09-18-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poppyhome (Post 932132)
I would first contact the manufacturer asking for their recommendation......

Only use 100% cotton cloths without labels - not microfiber, despite all the hoopla. Microfiber cloths create fine line scratches and swirl marks while 100% (Griots) cotton does not. I have tested this on numerous black colored cars - microfiber cloths SCRATCH and that's my experience.

Since your speakers only need a light dust wiping, I would spray the cloth slightly with Griots Speed Shine, as it is a water based product with light silicone, and lightly buff. I use this weekly on my Black Gloss JL Subs and they look as new, without any swirl or scratch marks. I also use it on my Cremons M's that have a satin finish, and it works beautifully.

I would stay away from any oil or harsh solvent based products. I don't think furniture polish is really needed, as the wood most likely is sealed and you will not be nourishing it..........but that's my opinion, and Speed Spine will give you great results easily so you could listen to your music sooner. :music:

Ron

I agree, it all comes down to the manufacturer and the type of finish.

crwilli 09-18-2018 08:50 PM

I only use Gerlitz Smudge off and microfibers.

audioguy3107 09-18-2018 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 932133)
I agree, it all comes down to the manufacturer and the type of finish.

Well, that's indeed the case, I contacted Avalon, and while they make excellent speakers, their communication so far.......:icon_thumbsdown:

- Buck

For The Love of Music 09-19-2018 12:05 AM

I recall Tannoy having something for their speakers which are beautiful IMO

PoppyHome is right, start with the manufacture.

I also use Griots Speed shine on everything, very lightly on a micro cloth

W9TR 09-19-2018 06:48 AM

My vote - whatever Ivan uses!
I bought a used JL Audio Gotham sub from him, gloss black, and it is perfect in every way. Not a scratch or swirl mark on it.
Tom

audioguy3107 09-19-2018 07:57 AM

Well of course as soon as I posted this thread I got a call from Avalon letting me know that they can send me the polish included with their speakers......I'll post it here when I get it in case someone else can use the information on their loudspeaker cabinets.

- Buck

Poppyhome 09-19-2018 08:37 AM

Excellent news..........now you are safe......:thumbsup:

Wondering were they are sourcing the polish from. :scratch2:

Ron