AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   New speaker cables? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43613)

joe schmoe 08-21-2018 03:25 PM

New speaker cables for the Bryston Mini-Ts?

I am currently using some “home made” Blue Jean Cables for my Mini-Ts they are configured for Bi-wire and are 10ga.

A very good friend just gave me a pair of Audioquest Jaguar 24V speaker cables.

I have run in wall cables same BJC wire from my amp to the speaker locations.

Would I be better off doing away with the bi-wire set up using my home made cables and use the audioquest cables without the bi-wire??

Or, could I use one set of my homemade cables for 1 of the Mini-t s and the audioquest jaguars for the other Mini-T??

Still-One 08-21-2018 03:45 PM

Why don't you A/B your options and see if you come up with a preferred set-up. That is usually what I do to see what stays and what goes.

Formerly YB-2 08-21-2018 05:00 PM

Hmmmm................ can't imagine using different cables for each speaker.

Yamaki 08-21-2018 05:02 PM

Try the speakers with the BJC, then try the speakers with the AQ cables.

If your speakers can be bi-wired then with the AQ cables it may sound a bit thin compared to the bi-wire BJC cables.

My thought is that a bi-wired pair of AQ would sound better than the BJC bi-wired pair. And a bi-wired pair of Wireworld cables would blow the BJC's and the AQ's right out of the water.

As soon as I bi-wired my Aerial Acoustic Model 8s they came alive. The change was amazing.

joe schmoe 08-21-2018 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 (Post 928005)
Hmmmm................ can't imagine using different cables for each speaker.

That's why I'm asking...This is all new to me... I just started this journey and I'm a poor guy who can barely afford the electricity to drive all my gear! :yikes:

Seriously, I am really new to high end audio and even auditioning different cables blows my mind.

All this time, I thought electrons were electrons?

Formerly YB-2 08-21-2018 08:19 PM

Would stick with whichever set sounds best to your ears. However, suggest you stick with a matched set.

crwilli 08-21-2018 08:23 PM

“What he said”

Masterlu 08-21-2018 08:48 PM

Matched set and equal lengths.

mulveling 08-22-2018 04:21 AM

Definitely, matched set and equal lengths per side. Bi-wire is usually better, all else being equal. But you might as well try the single-wire AQ cables and see what you think - they use very good quality copper and solid core conductors, which many audiophiles consider to be of significant advantage over stranded copper (like the Blue Jeans, I believe).

You're probably confusing the AQ model name - the "Jaguar" was one of their copper interconnects from 2 lines ago (more than 10 years ago now). This model did feature 24V bias at one time, but it was never a speaker cable. The "similar" cable in the speaker lineup of that time would probably be the "Pike's Peak". It too was copper, also featured an emerald green / black braid, and probably had 24V at one time too. You can always send the cables back to Audioquest's Irvine facility for re-termination to biwire, but that particular cable's geometry is not well suited for it. In fact the succeeding line (Tree series) rectified that shortcoming.

joe schmoe 08-22-2018 12:52 PM

mulveling you are absolutely correct. I got the cable names confused, as my friend gave me a box FULL of cables, mostly AQs but some other brands commingled in with them. You nailed both correctly. The Jaguars are interconnects.

Thanks to everyone’s input; I was unaware of mixing cables. Interesting.
Will try and experiment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 928055)
Definitely, matched set and equal lengths per side. Bi-wire is usually better, all else being equal. But you might as well try the single-wire AQ cables and see what you think - they use very good quality copper and solid core conductors, which many audiophiles consider to be of significant advantage over stranded copper (like the Blue Jeans, I believe).

You're probably confusing the AQ model name - the "Jaguar" was one of their copper interconnects from 2 lines ago (more than 10 years ago now). This model did feature 24V bias at one time, but it was never a speaker cable. The "similar" cable in the speaker lineup of that time would probably be the "Pike's Peak". It too was copper, also featured an emerald green / black braid, and probably had 24V at one time too. You can always send the cables back to Audioquest's Irvine facility for re-termination to biwire, but that particular cable's geometry is not well suited for it. In fact the succeeding line (Tree series) rectified that shortcoming.