AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Zu Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45099)

Jdsmoke 02-10-2019 06:25 PM

Zu Audio

Anyone have Zu audio speakers. Saw a review and was thinking it might be something to check out.

Gbob 02-10-2019 07:21 PM

I owned both Union and Omen Bookshelf speakers.
The Union came very close to a pair of Vandy 3a sigs, but lacked something.
The Omen Bookshelves were OK, they were replaced by Vandy VLR's, which despite their size, out performed the Zu's.
Overall, my Zu's were very competent speakers. Most would not find fault with them- especially with more contemporary music (ie. Rock, Hip Hop).
Seeing you have Harbeth speakers, I think would be disappointed. Just a lack of that certain something I can't put my finger on...
Oh, I don't know what.:confused-2:
B

Bob

audio bill 02-10-2019 07:25 PM

While Zu Audio speakers definitely have their share of fans, they have a very different sound compared to most popular high end speakers. They would sound drastically different than your Harbeths for example, with a more direct but a bit raw sound by comparison. They use mostly professional drivers with some tweaks, but still end up having more of a typical pro-sound quality than more common choices in the market. I'd strongly suggest getting an audition preferably in your system or at least with familiar components before making any commitments to their purchase. I've owned some of their cables and they are a solid company and very reputable people to deal with.

Jdsmoke 02-10-2019 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audio bill (Post 952749)
While Zu Audio speakers definitely have their share of fans, they have a very different sound compared to most popular high end speakers. They would sound drastically different than your Harbeths for example, with a more direct but a bit raw sound by comparison. They use mostly professional drivers with some tweaks, but still end up having more of a typical pro-sound quality than more common choices in the market. I'd strongly suggest getting an audition preferably in your system or at least with familiar components before making any commitments to their purchase. I've owned some of their cables and they are a solid company and very reputable people to deal with.

That’s what I have read. Defiantly a unique sound and fan base.

W9TR 02-10-2019 08:56 PM

JD,
Definitely arrange for an extended listen at a dealer or better yet in your home.

A pair of Zu Omens won my “worst speaker of 2017 RMAF” It wasn’t even close.

So like other anachronistic products you really have to hear them for yourself.

My show buddies thought they sounded great.

Tom

Antonmb 02-10-2019 09:12 PM

Zu Audio

I recall in the Pass/Zu/Mofi room at RMAF 2018, they were playing a strange choice of music, with heavily processed vocals. The system had good bass but sounded hard and bright.

Kal Rubinson 02-10-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdsmoke (Post 952757)
Defiantly a unique sound and fan base.

Defiantly, to be sure. :-)

Veloceleste 02-11-2019 09:44 AM

Toccata 02-12-2019 01:07 PM

I've heard them twice at the Cal Audio Show (Omens, I think.) Their very forward presentation seems initially impressive, but I imagine they would be fatiguing (at least for classical/acoustic music) after a while.

For The Love of Music 02-13-2019 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W9TR (Post 952768)
JD,
Definitely arrange for an extended listen at a dealer or better yet in your home.

A pair of Zu Omens won my “worst speaker of 2017 RMAF” It wasn’t even close.

So like other anachronistic products you really have to hear them for yourself.

My show buddies thought they sounded great.

Tom

Not me, I was first to walk out.

I’m sure they are a good speaker, when all the complimenting attributes are in place to make them perform as intended.