AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   D'Agostino Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Momentum Mono Blocks in Stereophile (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=18446)

mbovaird 01-15-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 426470)
That ~1700lbs of shipping weight is divided into 7 containers. The heaviest two hold the bass modules.

It truly is amazing - the sheer volume for one set of speakers. Amazing engineering (and packaging!) indeed. By the way.....are you getting the itch Jim?

Still-One 01-15-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 426467)
Back to the topic at hand. Jim, your amps are on my very short list for 2013. It's down between them and the REF 250's to try this year.

Mike

Mike
There are about a dozen very, very good amps available today and you have identified two of them. In the end it all depends on the sound you are searching for. At Momentums current pricing some might also consider the Ref 750's.

cmalak 01-15-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 426456)
Cyril
I think he upgraded from the Maxx 3's to the Alexandria XLF's, skipping over my little old X2 Series 2. :lmao:

:D

Still-One 01-15-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 426471)
It truly is amazing - the sheer volume for one set of speakers. Amazing engineering (and packaging!) indeed. By the way.....are you getting the itch Jim?

Mike
At the time there were only three speakers under consideration. The X2's, MBL 101e MKII and Aida's. Each of the three have strengths in certain areas. I am not sure that the other two would have worked as well in my 2-channel room. With all of the adjustability built into the Alexandria's I thought they would work out the best and so far that is proven to be the case.

cmalak 01-15-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turntable (Post 426458)
Jim, I think Cyril is having a premonition of your next upgrade:D

I did the see the aura of a pair of XLFs in Jim's listening room :D

mbovaird 01-15-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 426472)
Mike
There are about a dozen very, very good amps available today and you have identified two of them. In the end it all depends on the sound you are searching for. At Momentums current pricing some might also consider the Ref 750's.

I just couldn't see myself with the 750's. Far too many tubes and I find them hideous looking. Those Momentums are bloody gorgeous. The REF 250's are no slouch either. The problem I'm having is that the Pass/arc/dac2x/Strad combo is so darn good. I listened for hours yesterday and wanted for nothing. So....if I do get something, it will be just to tinker. The only thing I need is a bigger media closet (I've run out of room) and a better cartridge. I need one with a much higher output. Cranking my preamp to 75 is not my cup of tea (when I can't go past 38 with digital).

The Momentums on Strads with the REF 10 and DAC2X would probably be out of this world. You were certainly an early adopter of the Momentums and now must be just sitting back and grinning! :D

cmalak 01-15-2013 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mbovaird (Post 426467)
Back to the topic at hand. Jim, your amps are on my very short list for 2013. It's down between them and the REF 250's to try this year.

Mike

Mike, while there is something to be said about synergy, I know that the Momentum monos have been demoed with an ARC pre (Ref 5Se and Ref 40th Anniv) many times at audio shows to great acclaim. That might be the way to go. The Strads will appreciatethe SS control and extra headroom as the Momentums double down in power as the impedance is halved.

mbovaird 01-15-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmalak (Post 426482)

Mike, while there is something to be said about synergy, I know that the Momentum monos have been demoed with an ARC pre (Ref 5Se and Ref 40th Anniv) many times at audio shows to great acclaim. That might be the way to go. The Strads will appreciatethe SS control and extra headroom as the Momentums double down in power as the impedance is halved.

Thanks. Believe me....they are on the short list. I've been watching carefully. I read a review (and can't find it now) of a demo in Montreal and I believe it was Momentums with a REF 5SE and Strads. People were raving about it.

Erik Tracy 01-15-2013 10:39 AM

Interesting that in the "Manufacturer's Comments" section that there was no reply or explanation as to why one of the units overheated and turned off during JA's benchtests.

mbovaird 01-15-2013 10:46 AM

Jim - my memory is a little fuzzy - but didn't you have an issue with one amp initially?