AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Holy SLAMitude, Cremona's do have Bass (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=1935)

1KW 08-20-2009 09:18 PM

Holy SLAMitude, Cremona's do have Bass

I decided enough babying my 501's and decided to turn the pre amp over 37 and yes I also turned the bass control on the C220 up a tad to 2 o'clock. I know some purist will say that I am adding distortion but you know what it sounds great :banana:

I knew they were great for classical and Jazz.... but they are also really great rock n roll speakers. :thumbsup:

US Blues 08-20-2009 09:45 PM

:banana::banana:

The lesson here is this: let your Mac amp breathe deeply for best effect.

jdandy 08-20-2009 09:49 PM

David.......Never above 37......you've got to be kidding. Turn that C220 up to about 58 or 60, leave the tone controls flat, and see what she sounds like. Stop pussy footing around. Get down! :guitar:

1KW 08-20-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 33989)
David.......Never above 37......you've got to be kidding. Turn that C220 up to about 58 or 60, leave the tone controls flat, and see what she sounds like. Stop pussy footing around. Get down! :guitar:

OMG :eek2: at 52 my ears started to bleed, .... just kidding. My MC501's really make these speakers sing above 50 :music: Unbelievable, I will need a hearing test for sure after this. :D

PHC1 08-20-2009 10:12 PM

I guess you forgot how we made your room rattle with bass test tones and that was with the MC252..... :D

jdandy 08-20-2009 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 33992)
Unbelievable, I will need a hearing test for sure after this. :D

What? :lmao:

1KW 08-20-2009 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 33995)
I guess you forgot how we made your room rattle with bass test tones and that was with the MC252..... :D

I think that problem is much improved now :yes:

1KW 11-22-2009 11:01 AM

http://www.google.com/product_url?q=...hl=en&sa=image
The filaments in the light bulbs that are in the ceiling are vibrating. I am going to replace them with the flourescent ones and hope that cures the problem.

jdandy 11-22-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 49246)
The filaments in the light bulbs that are in the ceiling are vibrating. I am going to replace them with the flourescent ones and hope that cures the problem.

David.......Are your present incandescent bulbs on dimmers? Compact fluorescent light bulbs cannot be dimmed. Something to consider. The also give of a different color light which you may or may not find attractive. And for all the talk about energy star ratings, over the five year life span of a compact fluorescent bulb you will save approximately $30.00 in energy cost, but you will spend half of that on the bulb itself. The remainder, $15.00 is your five year savings, or about $0.25 a month. Wow!

Another thing to consider is most fluorescent bulbs have mercury and other harmful chemicals inside the lamp. When they ultimately find there way to a landfill, fluorescent lamps are big polluters. Fluorescent is not as Green as manufacturers would have you believe.

Still-One 11-22-2009 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 49253)
David.......Are your present incandescent bulbs on dimmers? Compact fluorescent light bulbs cannot be dimmed. Something to consider. The also give of a different color light which you may or may not find attractive. And for all the talk about energy star ratings, over the five year life span of a compact fluorescent bulb you will save approximately $30.00 in energy cost, but you will spend half of that on the bulb itself. The remainder, $15.00 is your five year savings, or about $0.25 a month. Wow!

Another thing to consider is most fluorescent bulbs have mercury and other harmful chemicals inside the lamp. When they ultimately find there way to a landfill, fluorescent lamps are big polluters. Fluorescent is not as Green as manufacturers would have you believe.

I was thinking about switching to LED downlights to replace the ones in the cans in my house. I counted the number of cans I have inside the house I was surprised to find I would need 111 replacement lights not including the 3 on the front porch. :yikes:

At Home Depot I read the carton which says they are not supposed to be used with dimmers. The majority of the down lights are on dimmers even though they are seldom used, so I guess it is a no go. At about $14 a piece that saved me a chunk of change. :)