AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   ARC is freakin expensive. (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42016)

Mouse 01-27-2018 05:06 PM

ARC is freakin expensive.

ARC is very expensive.
I love the sound, at least the few times I've heard an Audio Research system.
I even contemplate buying a setup for my office. Then I saw the prices, roughly triple the cost of Mc!

Can you name some brands that have a similar realistic life-like sound?

I could get the integrated, but it seems rather limited at 75 watts.

Mikado463 01-27-2018 05:16 PM

Mouse, very expensive ? , triple the cost ?? you have not given us any examples ......myself I think their 'Foundation' series offers great value.

Mouse 01-27-2018 05:34 PM

Audio Research Reference Phono 10 Phono Preamplifier=30K

Mc MP1100=10K
Mc MP100=2K

GSI75 Integrated amp (75w)=16K?
Mc MA252 (100w)=3,500

REFERENCE 150SE (150w)=15K
Mc MC152 (150w)= 4,500
May god forbid I want something greater than 150 watts, because it seems like ARC goes to monoblocks at 15K-30K for each monoblock.

ARC doesn't seem to publish a price list, so it's hard to find pricing and a full product line. But when I look around the preamps and amps seem to be double to triple the price.

Mouse 01-27-2018 05:40 PM

Also ARC is hard to demo.
I have a great dealer nearby that has one ARC rig. I don't remember which one it is, but it sounds lively with even small stand mounted speakers.
I also heard an ARC setup at RMAF with SF O3 speakers and it sounds amazing. I still don't remember what system it is.
I've only heard ARC twice, but each time I remembered music being more exciting, more emotional, more moving. The sound curve seems to be more pleasant to my ears. The bass and mids seems to be stronger than my Mc, but without A/B testing with the same speakers I really don't know for sure how Mc and ARC compare in sound. All I know is I heard some really high end stuff from moon and focal speakers and all I heard was meh; flat and lifeless. It could be the room, it could be that the speakers weren't placed right or broken in, but I've really liked focal at RMAF.

I'm not able to hear all the ARC systems and choose for myself. I get to "special order" with no refunds.

mulveling 01-27-2018 05:59 PM

First you're looking at ARC's top-of-the-line preamp (very tip-top of the Reference line), a statement piece, when ARC is known for preamps. Whereas Mc only really builds statement-level amps and speakers (check out some of THOSE Mc prices). Not a good point of comparison.

Then you compare 2 moderate-power SS Mc amps to a moderate and a high power ARC tube amp, the latter being from the Reference line. The tube amp will *always* be significantly more expensive per watt, even if from the same maker.

But yeah, they both make some expensive (and really nice!) gear!

Mikado463 01-27-2018 06:00 PM

The ref10 preamp is amongst the 'the' top tier of all preamps in the world, as good as the Mac 1100 is (and that's damn good) I have never heard it mentioned in the same breath, so take that for what's it worth.

As far as I'm concerned I'll put (for the money) Rogue up against either Mac or ARC

metaphacts 01-27-2018 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 895546)
Also ARC is hard to demo.
I have a great dealer nearby that has one ARC rig. I don't remember which one it is, but it sounds lively with even small stand mounted speakers.
I also heard an ARC setup at RMAF with SF O3 speakers and it sounds amazing. I still don't remember what system it is.
I've only heard ARC twice, but each time I remembered music being more exciting, more emotional, more moving. The sound curve seems to be more pleasant to my ears. The bass and mids seems to be stronger than my Mc, but without A/B testing with the same speakers I really don't know for sure how Mc and ARC compare in sound. All I know is I heard some really high end stuff from moon and focal speakers and all I heard was meh; flat and lifeless. It could be the room, it could be that the speakers weren't placed right or broken in, but I've really liked focal at RMAF.

I'm not able to hear all the ARC systems and choose for myself. I get to "special order" with no refunds.

Great dealer? With one system on display? And no guidance on what you should be considering for your needs? Have you tried to discuss the ARC line with him? And his guidance was "special order" with no refunds? If you are not leaving out some important details of your experience, this is hardly a great dealer.

Where are you located? There are many dealers around the world who have multiple ARC systems on display. Given the relationship ARC have with Sonus faber, some dealers would likely be able to play the Olympica 3 with ARC for you.

audioguy3107 01-27-2018 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 895531)
ARC is very expensive.

Mouse - well, you are on Audio Aficionado!! Not sure how much sympathy you'll get here for ARC prices! :D :D

- Buck

Antonmb 01-27-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mouse (Post 895544)
ARC doesn't seem to publish a price list, so it's hard to find pricing and a full product line.

Mouse, check this site for specs and prices on ARC gear. http://www.arcdb.ws

jdandy 01-27-2018 08:08 PM

Mouse.......It is just a matter of perspective. ARC sells for peanuts if you compare it to Goldmund. Their Telos 360 mono amps go for $40K a pair. A pair of darTZeel NHB-458 monoblock amplifiers will set you back $145K. That's nearly 10 times what the ARC Ref 150SE sells for. Even the darTZeel CTH-8550 integrated amplifier retails at $25K. There are plenty more examples to be found, but you get my point. If you have a budget, shop for gear within its limits. Avoid looking at gear beyond your comfort level. Otherwise be prepared to go bankrupt quick.