AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Speaker Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   Sonos Sound Bar Pleasantly Surprised Me (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=28939)

1KW 11-09-2014 10:08 AM

Sonos Sound Bar Pleasantly Surprised Me

I have had a simple sonos stereo zone set up in my family room for my wife which consists of a pair of in ceiling speakers over one of the sofa's my wife like to read and watch tv from which also has a subwoofer connected. I will post some pictures later. This room is quite large with hard wood and lots to windows so the room tends to sound on the bright side. The sound bar when paired with another zone delivers surprisingly acceptable sound quality :yes: . Yesterday I picked up a sonos playbar for the TV (in the same room) and started to stream music through both zones called family room 1 and 2 . The music sounded so good my wife started to dance. Ok this is a good first impression :D I have to admit I was not expecting what I was hearing . We listened for a good 45 minutes before I even tried to listen to the TV which was it's intended purpose. Eventually I played our TV through the play bar, it was a big improvement over the built in speakers . If you want a stealth all in one sound bar that streams music, that you can not only control with your phone but also lets you stream music from your phone as well as improve the sound of your TV then this is a good option. While this little play bar in no way compares to the sound quality of my home theater room or 2 channel room it does sound surprisingly good for background music and hearing the TV better.

o0OBillO0o 11-09-2014 10:25 AM

Agreed. Its so simple and fun. Glad you are finding enjoyment!

Nuz1 11-10-2014 01:26 AM

I agree, it's great for the TV. But if you don't have one already, add the Sonos Sub. I think it improves the overall sound quality a bunch.

o0OBillO0o 11-10-2014 09:43 PM

For the tragically technical, there is no DTS support. Sonos even had a buy back program for those who were truly upset.

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

chessman 11-11-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o (Post 649807)
For the tragically technical, there is no DTS support. Sonos even had a buy back program for those who were truly upset. Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Aren't we the epitome of "tragically technical?" :D

W9TR 11-15-2014 12:08 PM

I love my Sonos Soundbar. It was amazingly easy to setup and integrate with our TV.
Being tragically technical, it does have some challenges. The Sonos only has one optical input. If you plan on building a Sonos 5.1 system, be aware that you'll need a TV that passes 5.1, or you'll have to do external HDMI or Toslink switching. My Pioneer plasma takes the HDMI 5.1 signal out of the cable box and down mixes to stereo. So I'll need to add an external Toslink switch to handle the audio duties if I want 5.1 out of the Sonos system. Not a big deal, but you should be aware if you're going 5.1.
Tom