AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   JL Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   F113 problem--high pitch buzz started this morning (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=13515)

thebeatles67 04-13-2012 09:45 AM

F113 problem--high pitch buzz started this morning

So it's 5am in my home this morning and I'm sound asleep. All of a sudden I hear this high pitch piercing signal--I had no idea what it was. After a minute to come to my senses I realize its one of my F113 subs. I switched it off and unplugged. When I woke up I plugged it back in--same high pitch buzzing sound. The unit was sitting in the "on" position as it normally is at night with nothing playing and no signal being sent to it.

I waited to call JL at 9am --after hanging on for 10 minutes I gave up and called back. They have my name and are to call me back. Any idea as to what this could be?:sigh:

jfray 04-13-2012 09:52 AM

A high pitched sound? So it is not a ground loop..... Did you try and disconnect the input cables.

thebeatles67 04-13-2012 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfray (Post 297094)
A high pitched sound? So it is not a ground loop..... Did you try and disconnect the input cables.

Hi Josh--no not a ground loop--Unit has been operating perfectly since Day 1 on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and its has nothing else on the line--keep in mind I have 2 side by side. I was actually asleep in the room when the sound came from out of nowhere--5am--just started--the system was in idle mode--I unplugged the XLR from my Mc C2300--and unplugged the ac hoping for a miracle--however same loud piercing tone came right back--doesnt look good for a quick fix Im afraid. At least its under warranty but what a pain after only a few months of ownership.

Still-One 04-13-2012 10:34 AM

Did you swap cables to see if the sound switches to the other amp?

Jim

thebeatles67 04-13-2012 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 297116)
Did you swap cables to see if the sound switches to the other amp?

Jim

Hi Jim,

I have removed the XLR cord completely and the loud buzz comes on immediatley--I have not tried a different outlet or power cord yet. Just seems weird that it began in the middle of the night for no reason- no storm or surge that I can detect or point to--the sub has not been driven hard at all either. Could be just one of them things---still waiting on JL to call me back.

mike

Face 04-13-2012 11:46 AM

I had something similar happen with a different sub, scared the hell out of me. The amp had to be replaced.

tsv_1 04-13-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Face (Post 297158)
I had something similar happen with a different sub, scared the hell out of me. The amp had to be replaced.

Yes... sounds like a component failure either in the internal amp of within the power supply (most likely the latter, though it may all be one module).

thebeatles67 04-13-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsv_1 (Post 297161)
Yes... sounds like a component failure either in the internal amp of within the power supply (most likely the latter, though it may all be one module).

Yeah-- I would hate to have to ship the whole sub back--man that thing is a monster.:tears:

Masterlu 04-13-2012 12:36 PM

PM sent.

tsv_1 04-13-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebeatles67 (Post 297169)
Yeah-- I would hate to have to ship the whole sub back--man that thing is a monster.:tears:

I can only imagine... I had a couple of JL112s in my system at one point and they were back-wrenching enough.

Hope things get resolved soon and with zero risk to your muscular/skeletal system.

Pls keep us posted and Good Luck!