AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Audio Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Thoughts on gsepre versus gsi75 upgrade (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38565)

akfaulkner 02-10-2017 02:25 AM

Thoughts on gsepre versus gsi75 upgrade

Hi all!

I am starting to explore the world of vinyl and I need some opinions on good phono and preamps. I am also using the opportunity to possibly upgrade to an arc based system or preamp.

My current system:
Mac mini + roon
Classe sigma SSP (DAC)
Classe ca2300 amp
Wilson audio duette 2

I am most likely getting a Linn majik lp12 TT, I love the classic look.

I am thinking about three options for phono:

1. Linn uphorik and pass through analog through sigma SSP. Cheaper option but Classe prob won't sound as good.

2. Sell the Classe stuff and get a gsi75. I am a little scared I might want to upgrade again so hesitant on this unless it's awesome and worth it

3. Get a gsepre as phono and preamp and use the Classe sigma SSP as a DAC only.

I am leaning towards #3. Any one listened to gsepre? How does it do with a solid state amp? How is it in phono stage? Does it help with digital sources?

Any one think the gsi75 is a better bet?

Unfortunately it doesn't look like I can demo any of these on my home system so just reading and advice!

Alan

2fastdriving 02-10-2017 02:43 AM

Why do you want to change all that, just to add a turntable? Get a decent phono pre and feed it into your existing preamp. You can always go a different route later, but I think it will sound fine, and won't cost a fortune. Classe is pretty good stuff, I wouldn't toss it all out because I'm adding a turntable.

akfaulkner 02-10-2017 03:00 AM

Good point, however I am eager to try arc preamp or tubes so it's an opportunity to use wife approval for another component at the same time :)

If the gsepre is not worth the money then I don't mind waiting for something or a better option.

akfaulkner 02-10-2017 09:44 AM

I edited the post a little but to sum up, I am using this opportunity to possibly also get a good preamp and since I would need a phono stage, the gsepre seemed like a good fit.

Just curious how many people use the gsepre or gsi75 (which is a more drastic change as you mentioned)

docdan50 02-10-2017 03:58 PM

I use an arc sp20 and find it serves very well for all the functions you mentioned. I stream roon through a direct stream dac to it. I use the mc input for my turntable. I use the home theatre pass through to integrate it into 5.1 system when I play multichannel.

Dsholl1 02-10-2017 04:11 PM

I have heard the Gspre with the GS150 being fed a LP12 Majik TT with Adikt cartridge at a dealers a while back.
It was one of the best demos I had ever heard.
The synergy was amazing!!!!