AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Wilson Audio (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   I'm in love with Sabrina(s), but I love my wife more (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38761)

PeterMusic 03-05-2017 03:37 PM

I'm in love with Sabrina(s), but I love my wife more

I fell in love with a pair of Sabrinas paired with McIntosh C2600/MC275 at my local shop (Natural Sound in Framingham, MA). As others have noted, the musicality and transparency just took me to another world. Sadly, my wife says "they look like coffins" and has vetoed their placement in our colonial style living room.

A bit more background: These would replace B&W CM-1's, powered by an NAD C 326BEE. Schiit Yggdrasil is the source, so I'd probably switch the the C2600 for a C22. I tried B&W 805 D3--figuring their visual closeness to the CM-1 would get the OK--but I was disappointed. Too analytical for my ear, they just didn't move me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for speakers with the same character as the Sabrinas, but in a more conservative enclosure?

Thanks!

80B 03-05-2017 04:26 PM

Welcome to AA! Maybe you can sell her on a custom color that would not be too radical for the decor. Sometimes it takes a while to get the WAF; don't give up - my wife is a big Wilson fan.

Take her to the shop and play music she likes; just make sure she has her eyes closed, LOL!

Coppy 03-05-2017 04:31 PM

Agree the Sabrinas sound great. Make your wife a part of the process. Let her choose the color even if it costs extra. It may be that she just doesn't want to spend money on any speaker. So tell her you really want to get Yvette or Sasha and how much they cost... let her back you back down to the Sabrina.

Good luck... you deserve them so go for it.

metaphacts 03-05-2017 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coppy (Post 835417)
Agree the Sabrinas sound great. Make your wife a part of the process. Let her choose the color even if it costs extra. It may be that she just doesn't want to spend money on any speaker. So tell her you really want to get Yvette or Sasha and how much they cost... let her back you back down to the Sabrina.

Good luck... you deserve them so go for it.

:goodpost:

My guess is that Natural Sound's Sabrinas are in Obsidian Black.

Desert Silver (standard), Biarritz White, and Titan Red look very different.

Of course WMMV

jdandy 03-05-2017 08:18 PM

PeterMusic.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

When I first read your post earlier this afternoon my first thought was let you wife pick the Sabrina color. Since the colors available are nearly infinite there is bound to be a color that would please her eye and allow the speakers to integrate with the living room aesthetics. Getting her invested in the decision making process may remove the objections.

Other than that, there's other fish in the sea. Contact a lawyer.
Just kidding. :D

SCAudiophile 03-05-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 835412)
I fell in love with a pair of Sabrinas paired with McIntosh C2600/MC275 at my local shop (Natural Sound in Framingham, MA). As others have noted, the musicality and transparency just took me to another world. Sadly, my wife says "they look like coffins" and has vetoed their placement in our colonial style living room.

A bit more background: These would replace B&W CM-1's, powered by an NAD C 326BEE. Schiit Yggdrasil is the source, so I'd probably switch the the C2600 for a C22. I tried B&W 805 D3--figuring their visual closeness to the CM-1 would get the OK--but I was disappointed. Too analytical for my ear, they just didn't move me.

Does anyone have a recommendation for speakers with the same character as the Sabrinas, but in a more conservative enclosure?

Thanks!

Welcome!!!

Masterlu 03-05-2017 08:35 PM

Peter... Welcome to AA! :wave:

DesW 03-05-2017 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterMusic (Post 835412)
I fell in love with a pair of Sabrinas. Sadly, my wife says "they look like coffins" and has vetoed their placement in our colonial style living room.

I couldn't agree more--understanding wife you have lucky man!:nono:

D

John49 03-05-2017 11:54 PM

The Sabrina's have grown on me and I now wish I had had the spare cash to order them recently. Still a little hung-up about automotive paint finishes though. Now a pair in blue would match my eyes [emoji838][emoji838]

Dr Tone 03-06-2017 12:08 AM

You should have started at the WAMM, she would have loved the simple little Sabrina. :)

I would start taking her to demos of the ugliest speaker you can find. Don't show her something she might actually like. Eventually the Sabrina has to grow on her.