AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   What are you driving your Focals with? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=22115)

justubes 08-14-2013 03:15 PM

I feel you have hit the nail on the characteristics of these speakers having owned both.

My view mirrors yours and find the mids up superior to the scala and the big sound staging. I did find however that the scala has a triat which gives a snappier hitting upper bass with the maestro more mellow. It could be room and positioning and Scala much easier in placment for it to show its fundamental sonic character. E.g the footer you recommend may have make a shockingly large difference/improvement.

Meastro on the other hand, imho may require much further tweaking in all areas and can attain a much higher sonic score but what seems any flaws in room, placement andassociated gear could make or break it.

justubes 08-14-2013 03:21 PM

To add, does more bass come at any expense of slightly subjectively perceived less spped and pace. I would imagine the stillpoints added more highs and less darker.

The natural clearer highs and mids of the maestro does sound a db or two lower but with tremendous naturalness.

C2300MC275 08-14-2013 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justubes (Post 521391)
To add, does more bass come at any expense of slightly subjectively perceived less spped and pace. I would imagine the stillpoints added more highs and less darker.

The natural clearer highs and mids of the maestro does sound a db or two lower but with tremendous naturalness.

To answer your bass question - yes I think it does sound just slightly more laid back. The only analogy that I can muster - think of the Scala as a sports car tweaked with oversteer and a little fidgety, powered by a tuned flat 6. The maestro has the refinement and v12 of an Aston - remains sure footed even when you hammer it.

In musical terms, the Scala bass can lean a fraction towards the "hifi" sound but you only notice after hearing the maestro.

The Stillpoints are crazy - they actually clear the entire frequency response. You get immediately more resolution across the whole spectrum and things just seem to time even better. It was not a small upgrade at all. Startling - but then I use mine on a heavily carpeted room so maybe that was why.

Also bear in mind that one of the lovely things about these speakers is that they take on the character of what you feed them so profoundly. Hearing these with vtl mb450s sounds nothing like devialet. Under blind conditions you would not believe it.

justubes 08-15-2013 03:13 PM

Seems my posts doesnt get through.

The Scala is a great speaker too, guess the maestro just trumps it to another level. Naturalness is always the case when going the next level up and losing the brightness and artificial sound is always good.

Hope its not just genre related an improvement over time

Jonmartin 11-30-2013 03:57 AM

OP have you thought about upgrading to the Devialet D500?

imprezap2 12-03-2013 05:33 AM

Before I changed to Magico, I owned the Focal Electra 1037Be for 4 years, enjoyed them alot especially with E-550/E-560 from Accuphase.
Accuphase and Focal work well together.

Olaf

C2300MC275 12-03-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonmartin (Post 555962)
OP have you thought about upgrading to the Devialet D500?

Many times :thumbsup:

Just have not the spare cash @ the moment for that upgrade. Instead, I am pursuing the room treatment route. Expecting a gik monster bass trap today in fact.

AMatters 01-15-2014 06:29 PM

Driving Scala Utopia III v1 with a pair of LAMM ML2.1.

Masterlu 01-15-2014 07:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Burmester 909's on a friends system.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/attac...1&d=1389828221

-E- 01-15-2014 10:23 PM

Uhhhhh yeah, that'll do pig; that'll do.