AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   General Audio Discussion (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   E Visits MasterLu in Cape Cod (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=32364)

-E- 07-14-2015 11:39 PM

E Visits MasterLu in Cape Cod

The Cape Cod Experience

So, as everybody has already figured out, I’ve spent the past few days visiting an old friend (some old friend – he JUST bought a Silenzio, sheesh!) and his family up in the Cape. Some threads on it would be Ivan’s Experience , Ivan’s Grandioso Thread (start at around post #149), and Silenzio’s Journey.

This trip… did not suck.

Some folks may first think – wow that is the worst possible thing you can say/write. Well, let me give you my rating scale (from worst to best possible):
- Meh
- Garbage
- Fine/average/forgettable
- Not bad
- Impressive
- Suberb/tres magnifique
-It does not suck.

(As scirica pointed out in one of the above threads.)

As anyone who has visited already knows (or who just, like me, drools over the pictures) – Ivan’s attention to detail is really second to none. He makes me look like an utter slob in comparison. And that’s fine.

What people may not know is that Ivan, Donna, Rich, and Shanna are a spectacular family. I was humbled to have an open invitation to the Cape (or Florida) for many years, but timing, economics, and other ventures always kept me not in either of those two locales. Well, I finally had to make the trek – one for my friend, but two because Ivan made me an offer I just could not refuse. To say that the Legend Family are the most gracious of hosts is an understatement. To have them open their home to me was an incredible feeling and honor. Not to mention I got the guest bedroom in the cave – where all the 3 main systems lie. HELLO! (No, I did not exceed my authority in usage when let off the leash in case you were thinking I got crazy). I’ve stayed in some swanky places before, but this guest bathroom shower was the equivalent of the Aida rig… anyhow I digress…

Where to start and what to say? Well, first off, we all know that Legend and AA are essentially one and the same. And while Rich is not the most active of posters here on AA, I can assure you that his behind the scenes for Legend is the reason everybody has such an amazing opinion of Ivan and how his service is so prompt and gear is delivered as promised (and even you naysayers who quipped about his slouchiness with me consuming his attention – I jest – everybody gets a good cluckle). Even with all the time devoted to my visit, and learning Silenzio, all of us just knew when to take a quick break, catch up on e-mails, orders, PMs, whatever. And when that part was done – game on. It really is a team effort, and how they pull it off is just brilliant (of course having some of the most spectacular rigs in an actual home/usable setting just makes this a world-class experience).

I’ll also add that, at first, Ivan was… timid (yes, not often would one associate that word to him) in relinquishing control of his gear-babies. However, after Silenzio started to produce – I quickly got the volume control (and he took the iPad for track selection). By the time I was ready to depart, Ivan had ripped quite a few CDs and was well on his way to expert-mode (and he also had his A-Ha moment as described in his Silenzio thread).

The Gear…
It is nearly impossible to rank these systems; I couldn’t even try. I enjoyed each one I listened to, but certainly some deserve special mention…

The surprise of the visit was up in the loft, where Ivan keeps a small Accuphase rig powering Aerial 7Ts, JBL speakers from the 1970s, and the TAD Monitors, along with an Esoteric Rig powering the last of the Aerial 20Ts (which some AA’er is very lucky to be getting soon). Why the surprise? The Aerial 20T’s with the VPI TT was probably my tied second-favorite two-channel rig. There was something about this setup that was incredibly engaging, non-fatiguing, and deep. Even with two active Aerial subs next to each 20T, it wasn’t boomy or overblown, just… deep (insert “that’s what she said” comment here).

I’ll press on to the McTheatre – and have very little to say except this: we threw on the DVD (yes I know lossy, bite me) of Hell Freezes Over and rang up Hotel California. To say I know every format of this track is an understatement. I know how it should sound where it should sound when it should sound. Period. When that first bass note hit after the guitar intro, I just laughed – quite audibly, like a simpleton giggling. 21 12” (or larger) drivers in a room does something to you. Something that digs to your core, your soul, your being. Something I can never reproduce myself. The SPL this room can achieve with nil distortion is mindboggling. There is no doubt that if they ever needed to repaint the Cape home, all the family would need to do is get something up to Power Guard level and just let it rip – it would peel paint off (and sound good all the way to Manhattan).

-E- 07-14-2015 11:40 PM

Next (can you see I am toying with you all now?) – the TAD R1s – aka Minions. This system, at first, sort of underwhelmed. Then… I got Silenzio up and running on it (shameless plug) via the K01x. And then I started to realize that both the Aida’s and R1’s are very genre specific beasts. So much so that certain tracks the R1’s just owned the Aida rig and then the exact opposite on a different genre. And now we get to A/B with a rather simple Mute+Swivel, which made for a rather amusing (read: simpleton giggle) evening. These speakers need monster amps that can produce the lowest octaves with aplomb. And you have to like EDM and R&B; if you only do classical, orchestral, and jazz, these probably aren’t for you. The mid-bass and bass of these monsters was impressive.

Oh fine – you’ve waited long enough… The Aida/Burmester/Grandioso/Silenzio rig…

It did not suck. I really have no other way to possibly put it. The look of it, the grandeur of it… even if you never played the rig, it would still be suitable as an exhibit in the Guggenheim. But, should you get the itch to let it rip – prepare to be rewarded (and those visiting in September shall be). It is impossible to quantify what the both analogue and digital ends can do with this system. It exemplifies brilliance and insanity simultaneously. Precision and disorder. Yin and yang. It is an affront and complement to your senses and sensibility.

AND THIS IS COMING FROM SOMEONE WHO HAS ALWAYS BEEN CRITICAL OF SONUS FABER.

Synergy matters. Knowledge in this hobby matters. When one helps benefit the other (knowledge creating synergy), clients, customers, friends, family – YOU… benefit. Holy crap, get me another drink…

-E- 07-14-2015 11:40 PM

As I start to wrap this up, sitting here on a plane, beverage in hand, I am still grinning like a moron. Aside from that… Ivan, Rich and I had a lot of time to catch up (it had been years since we all have seen each other face-to-face yet it only seemed like yesterday) – and one of the most astonishing things I learned is the lack of use these systems endure. Ivan mentioned “you are the only one to ever get me up to actually play all 3 turntables in a single day.” Whiskey-tango-foxtrot! But… when in Rome…

This is Audio Mecca. The Jerusalem of Sound. The Holy Land for Ears.

(For more information on Silenzio please see the sticky on AA HERE .

The two pics that didn’t show what Ivan already posted elsewhere:
http://i.imgur.com/OoDFYcO.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zK4KQaU.jpg

A shot of the Aerial Rig which will be on demo in September (and sop it all up – as those 20Ts are going bye bye), and of course the Master himself listening to the R1’s via Silenzio+K01x, with only a little iPad in the way…

Masterlu 07-15-2015 03:43 PM

^^^ I think I was deep in thought here; "what took me so long" ;)

bart 07-15-2015 03:51 PM

Excellent description of Ivan, his family and his systems E! :thumbsup:

Vintage Pete 07-15-2015 03:55 PM

What a great write up....and what a great time that would surely be! :yes:

Thanks for sharing Emile!

Still-One 07-15-2015 04:48 PM

Emile
Thanks for taking the time to put all of this down for us. It is hard to keep up with Ivan's Cape systems. One would have to make the trip a couple of times each summer to see all of the new gear he teases us with. So it is good to use these first hand write ups to keep us abreast.

Now Slappy 07-17-2015 01:32 PM

Emile,
What a brilliant write up. You hit the nail on the head with the way you described Ivan, his family and their hospitality. :thumbsup::D

Masterlu 07-17-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Now Slappy (Post 714189)
Emile,
What a brilliant write up. You hit the nail on the head with the way you described Ivan, his family and their hospitality. :thumbsup::D

Keith... did you get your plane ticket yet? :naughty:

o0OBillO0o 07-17-2015 05:12 PM

So no group hug shot?