AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Pass Labs (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=143)
-   -   First Watt (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38847)

Randy Myers 05-13-2017 05:16 PM

Agreed... every First Watt looks the same. Nelson bought a crap load of chassis a few years ago. He will using the same chassis on every First Watt for the foreseeable future :)...

Weirdcuba 05-13-2017 06:30 PM

Living with two baseboard heaters otherwise known as accuphase a200s, I never think about the heat (and I live in Atlanta). In the winter, I turn the heat down and in the summer, I turn the ac up.

Weirdcuba 05-13-2017 06:31 PM

You could probably fry an egg on mine after a long hard session.

Randy Myers 05-14-2017 01:29 AM

I don't worry about heat. The system was playing in the back ground all day today, for hours. I could still hold my hand on the heat sinks, which is what Nelson says is the test if it is getting enough ventilation.

GeAllan70 05-17-2017 06:21 PM

found an F3.... Contemplating if i should pull the trigger.... :scratch2:

Randy Myers 05-18-2017 12:08 AM

Even lower power than my F6; 15 wpc 8 ohm, 10 wpc 4 ohm. I bet it sounds spectacular!

I was sitting here listening to my ARC and I read your post... had to go hook my First Watt back up (easy speaker cable and power cord switch).

lordcloud 07-22-2017 03:19 AM

I have an F7, and I agree, it's a very very nice sounding amp. Nelson knows what he's doing.

Mister Pig 08-24-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lordcloud (Post 857168)
I have an F7, and I agree, it's a very very nice sounding amp. Nelson knows what he's doing.

I have an F7 here also. It is an interesting amp, as its a bit of divergence from what people think a First Watt amp is. Push pull design with negative and feed forward feedback....its really a conventional amplifier in some aspects!

Now as far as the sound, its lovely!

Cheers
Mister Pig

Tyson 09-01-2018 05:03 PM

I have a Burning Amp 3 which is the best I've heard of the First Watt amps. It's a very cool design, because it has a pot on the input board that lets you dial up (or down) the even order harmonic distortion. Turn it one way and it sounds like an F5 (hyper clean/clear) turn it the other way and it sounds like an Aleph (beautiful). I love mine. But honestly after I discovered high efficiency speakers and low watt tube amps, the BA3 mostly sits in storage.

FreddieFerric 02-03-2019 08:47 PM

The new First Watt SIT 3 is reviewed in the current (February) edition of Stereophile. I read Nelson's manual for the SIT 3 on his website. It appears this version will be limited to around 250 units. Not sure if they've sold out the run, but I would believe they probably did. If the low powered pure Class A game is you cup of tea, for the price, I'd jump all over one.