AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Rosco65 08-31-2019 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 977948)
I few, maybe as many as 10, pages back I recall Straitwire posting a list of available amps. The PSE - pentode would be the highest power I figure but he could elaborate and maybe give some numbers as well. What you say Tony?

I own a PSE. The max power with KT88 or 6550 is 24 watts. Dennis also sold the QMB-25 monoblocos: a 25-watt 4x6v6 PSE amp. I’ve never heard them but I would wager the power difference is negligible. The IIPS PSE can use just about any output pentode or beam power tube. One of my favorites is the KT77, which puts out about 22wpc in my amp.

straitwire 08-31-2019 05:55 PM

Hey bearcity, here's a picture of a beautiful gas regulated 45 PSE in Red Illusion.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/IEnUTpy.jpg[/IMG]

I'm cutting a pair of QMB-25 chassis's this week, they'll be powder coated Copper.

As I see it, it's like Roscoe65 said, the power difference is so small it doesn't really matter.
It's more a matter of monobloc versus stereo amp,(and all that that implies) and how many different tube types you can run.
That's my 2 cents...for what it's worth...I love 'em both...:scratch2:

bearcity 08-31-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosco65 (Post 977958)
I own a PSE. The max power with KT88 or 6550 is 24 watts. Dennis also sold the QMB-25 monoblocos: a 25-watt 4x6v6 PSE amp. I’ve never heard them but I would wager the power difference is negligible. The IIPS PSE can use just about any output pentode or beam power tube. One of my favorites is the KT77, which puts out about 22wpc in my amp.


Rosco,

I have the same amp. Those kt-77s are a great tube in that amp. Have you tried metal 6L6s. Currently my favorites.

Scott

bearcity 08-31-2019 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 978016)
Hey bearcity, here's a picture of a beautiful gas regulated 45 PSE in Red Illusion.



[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/IEnUTpy.jpg[/IMG]



I'm cutting a pair of QMB-25 chassis's this week, they'll be powder coated Copper.



As I see it, it's like Roscoe65 said, the power difference is so small it doesn't really matter.

It's more a matter of monobloc versus stereo amp,(and all that that implies) and how many different tube types you can run.

That's my 2 cents...for what it's worth...I love 'em both...:scratch2:



That 45 PSE I just cannot wait to hear. Also the new 6FLV (I assume 6f6, 6l6, 6v6). Maybe my three favorite tubes. You have any picts of that one yet. Or better yet sound impressions? The lineup seems to be expanding. [emoji3][emoji28][emoji23]🤣🤪

straitwire 08-31-2019 10:32 PM

I haven't heard the 45 PSE or the 6FLV...:(
I do have a couple of pics though.
The 6FLV is wired in Pentode.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/M2rFYRa.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/JjX9muc.jpg[/IMG]

decooney 09-01-2019 12:32 PM

Re: Interconnects between preamp-to-amp

I have a sidebar question (understanding it's all system/other electronics/speaker dependent), I'll ask anyhow. With my former Inspire there really was no chance to try difference ICs, just a few types. Wish I had tried more. I'm curious to know what some of you are using for ICs between your Inspire Pre and Inspire 6V6 based amps, (copper, silver, silver over-copper) and length (1M, 1.5M, 2M) etc. And characteristic of "clear" or "rolled off" type of cables you prefer with the Inspire and 6V6 family tubes - if you can share.



Why Ask?
Recently, I've gone back to experimenting with other tube Monoblocks and found a bit more resolution and sound stage I was looking for trying some different ICs I did not try on the Inspire. Not only has transparency changed but so has output level detail and musicality at very low volumes levels.

pechelman 09-01-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearcity (Post 977947)
I do not own the 3.1 but do the 27a and 3a. I can say that neither is dead silent. As I understand, as Dennis revised his preamp circuit beyond the lp-2, the improvements in dynamics and soundstage also came with a hum and that was my experience. As the efficiency gets toward 100db/... this hum starts to become actually bothersome IMO. I had a ~99db/ efficient setup in a bedroom which I ended up abandoning and using the equipment elsewhere. Anyway, Dennis can confirm but, the hum is inherent as I understand it so tube and cap swaps l doubt will have much effect.

I am sure some may see this as a flaw in the design and maybe they are right, but as I have read and listened to interviews with Dennis over the years I can appreciate that he refines by ear and not by test bench readings. That being said his reference speakers are in the low 90s efficiency and therefore the 120hz hum is barely noticeable. I recall he has had a couple khorn owners that have had issues.

As before best to contact the man himself and discuss.

Thanks for that reply. It's really a very minor buzz. Mostly I wanted to make sure it wasnt something on my end. If it's inherent to the design, then cool, because I do notice a good improvement in staging and dynamics compared to what i had before (nothing). With a little tube swapping, the hum is definitely a little less and not as distracting between tracks. Pretty happy right now. I think the biggest change was from the rectifier. Maybe a slight improvement from the buffer. Will leave well enough alone. Thanks!


Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 978127)
Re: Interconnects between preamp-to-amp

I have a sidebar question (understanding it's all system/other electronics/speaker dependent), I'll ask anyhow. With my former Inspire there really was no chance to try difference ICs, just a few types. Wish I had tried more. I'm curious to know what some of you are using for ICs between your Inspire Pre and Inspire 6V6 based amps, (copper, silver, silver over-copper) and length (1M, 1.5M, 2M) etc. And characteristic of "clear" or "rolled off" type of cables you prefer with the Inspire and 6V6 family tubes - if you can share.



Why Ask?
Recently, I've gone back to experimenting with other tube Monoblocks and found a bit more resolution and sound stage I was looking for trying some different ICs I did not try on the Inspire. Not only has transparency changed but so has output level detail and musicality at very low volumes levels.

Can really only answer your question about cables between dennis' pre and power amp as I have a 45 firebottole. I'd love to be able to spend hours and thousands on cables to find the "best" but I neither have that time nor the money. After a lot of reading, I decided to go with cables made with Magomi 2549 (non-plated OFC) and terminated in neutrik gold rca's. Seemed like I kept seeing those 2 popup in the discussions about neutral sounding cables of good quality and from people who spent a lot of time making their own cables. Ended up going with them premade from the "worlds best cable" guy on amazon who also came recommended. He also makes them directional by only terminating the cable shielding on the source side. No idea if that makes any difference, but whatever. Seem to sound good to me. Would love to try out more expensive, better?, cables, but not going to buy any.

decooney 09-01-2019 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pechelman (Post 978148)
Can really only answer your question about cables between dennis' pre and power amp as I have a 45 firebottole. I'd love to be able to spend hours and thousands on cables to find the "best" but I neither have that time nor the money. After a lot of reading, I decided to go with cables made with Magomi 2549 (non-plated OFC) and terminated in neutrik gold rca's. Seemed like I kept seeing those 2 popup in the discussions about neutral sounding cables of good quality and from people who spent a lot of time making their own cables. Ended up going with them premade from the "worlds best cable" guy on amazon who also came recommended. He also makes them directional by only terminating the cable shielding on the source side. No idea if that makes any difference, but whatever. Seem to sound good to me. Would love to try out more expensive, better?, cables, but not going to buy any.

.

TheCableCo Lending Library https://www.thecableco.com/lending-library



https://pics.awwmemes.com/let-me-get...r-47087943.png

.
.

Bombadil 09-01-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pechelman (Post 978148)
Can really only answer your question about cables between dennis' pre and power amp as I have a 45 firebottole. I'd love to be able to spend hours and thousands on cables to find the "best" but I neither have that time nor the money. After a lot of reading, I decided to go with cables made with Magomi [Mogami] 2549 (non-plated OFC) and terminated in neutrik gold rca's. Seemed like I kept seeing those 2 popup in the discussions about neutral sounding cables of good quality and from people who spent a lot of time making their own cables.

Those are good quality, neutral/accurate-sounding cables. I would have no qualms about using them in my system. I own a pair of XLR cables with that same combination.

x3workshop 09-21-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straitwire (Post 978016)
Hey bearcity, here's a picture of a beautiful gas regulated 45 PSE in Red Illusion.

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/IEnUTpy.jpg[/IMG]

I'm cutting a pair of QMB-25 chassis's this week, they'll be powder coated Copper.

As I see it, it's like Roscoe65 said, the power difference is so small it doesn't really matter.
It's more a matter of monobloc versus stereo amp,(and all that that implies) and how many different tube types you can run.
That's my 2 cents...for what it's worth...I love 'em both...:scratch2:

I'm pretty certain this is a pic of my amp which I ordered up about 5 months ago! The power switch is the tell! I've been out of the US for that time and am finally back and wanting to get my hands on it.

Emailed Dennis last night and I'm hoping to have it this week! He says it's been his reference amp for the last month or so. Can. Not. Wait!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2022 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.