AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

Coltrane1 10-10-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 643116)
Thanks for the cool pictures! You're a better photographer than I. My iPhone 5S pics always seem to come out so grainy. Probably a lighting issue?

Your 274B's appear to be the rigid plate, right? They have the mesh plate (can see filament through the plate) and the rigid plate version. The rigid plate version is more affordable than the mesh.

Ha, maybe that's why they were so cheap?

I use an iPhone 4S...I bought a Nikon D7000, and hated the indoor lighting issue....one day I tried the iPhone on a whim, and viola...I sold the Nikon on feebay...the iPhone has a narrow frame, but it does an okay job for indoor lighting with no flash.

pstrisik 10-10-2014 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 643119)
I *really* like mine. They seem to go an octave lower in bass than with the 6V6GT, any Chinese/Russian KT-xx I've tried, 6V6G's (least bass of all, probably, but super sweet mids).

They're tough to find in good condition matching pairs where the getters don't look like a dried up water spot. Finding shiny thick mirror-clear getters on these big old tubes is a challenge. The bigger the tube the more difficult to seal and prevent air from getting in, at least that's my guess. I offered $300 for a pair on eBay (big gamble) for a pair he'd offered a BuyItNow at $399. I was a little surprised he came down that much. Mine are branded as GE, which might have a little less cache than a Type I (no holes in the plate) branded as TungSol, but it's essentially the same tube otherwise. Mine are probably 70's vintage. What I liked was that they were matching cosmetically and those minimalistic tests that sellers offer. How would we challenge the results? I doubt there's a tube tester within 100 miles of me! Peter could probably beat that diameter by a wide margin! So, no buyer's remorse for me. They have a powerful sound, deep rich bass that just lays on the ground like fog. My Zu Omens are rated for 35-25kHz frequency range, fwiw.

Got a new 1964 Amperex 6DJ8 in the mail today - in it goes to listen to Bill Frisell's new release tonight which also happened to come in the mail today.

I actually have a friend in town with a tube tester. I haven't gone over to use it yet though. I may at some point. It would be fun to play with and see where some of my tubes are.

So, I took a chance on a matched pair of TS6550 - three hole plates. Used tested good on eBay. Seller with good feedback. The flash looks good in the photos from what I can tell. One is labeled Tung-Sol, the other GE. Ready?.... He was asking $150. I offered $120 and he took it! Even they are not ideal, they will give me a chance to see if a big bucks pair is worth it for me.

Tried to read up on these. It seems that the later ones, the one with three hole plates are preferred. I read comments that the earlier "smooth plates" have some better tone, but the three holes have better stage and image.

Coltrane.... regarding the Sophias... they charge $160 for the mesh plate and $130 for the solid plate, so still a good deal.

Alright, who's going to be brave and try the new Sophia KT88 or EL34? I am very curious, but not about to spend $300-$400/pair for new production KT88's with no track record. I'm more curious about their EL34's (coke bottle!). No price on those that I can find yet. Maybe we should chip in and put them on tour!

Aercool 10-10-2014 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 643330)
So, I took a chance on a matched pair of TS6550 - three hole plates. Used tested good on eBay. Seller with good feedback. The flash looks good in the photos from what I can tell. One is labeled Tung-Sol, the other GE. Ready?.... He was asking $150. I offered $120 and he took it! Even they are not ideal, they will give me a chance to see if a big bucks pair is worth it for me.

Tried to read up on these. It seems that the later ones, the one with three hole plates are preferred. I read comments that the earlier "smooth plates" have some better tone, but the three holes have better stage and image.

That's a great deal! I'll be interested to hear if you like them as much as I do. Let me know how they compare with a Sophia 274B vs. a 5AR4 in the rectifier position. You guys all have me intrigued on the Sophia mesh plate.

Dennis told me the smooth plate TS 6550's were intended for voltage regulators in B+ DC voltage power supplies, and the three hole version was designed/intended for audio.

I was thinking about a rotating tube collection too! I've got a bunch of cool vintage 6V6G's I could pass around if anyone wanted to try them.

pstrisik 10-10-2014 08:44 PM

Here's a video of Dennis introducing a new top shelf headphone amp. Done in that wonderful copper.......

Just as enthusiastic as he is in his emails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BieKVnwc49c

I'm noticing that this thread has more views and almost five times the number of posts as the next busiest thread in this section!

Not too enthusiastic either, are we?!!

pstrisik 10-10-2014 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aercool (Post 643359)
That's a great deal! I'll be interested to hear if you like them as much as I do. Let me know how they compare with a Sophia 274B vs. a 5AR4 in the rectifier position. You guys all have me intrigued on the Sophia mesh plate.

Dennis told me the smooth plate TS 6550's were intended for voltage regulators in B+ DC voltage power supplies, and the three hole version was designed/intended for audio.

I was thinking about a rotating tube collection too! I've got a bunch of cool vintage 6V6G's I could pass around if anyone wanted to try them.

Ok, I'll see how the rectifier does in comparison. The Sophia is one tube I haven't had the urge to switch back from, but I should here and there. The 6550's I just bought are probably ok, but the initial price seemed low and I was surprised he grabbed the offer. We'll see.

I like the idea of sending tubes around. As I think about the reality, I'm a bit nervous about sending rare tubes around. Somehow feels more ok if we all wanted to try a particular tube or two and all shared the risk.

Simonatsea 10-11-2014 01:40 AM

I am glad the Sophia tubes are treating you well. They are produced by TJ Full music. Currently their 6SL7 is my favourite driver tube in my amp. I have revisited my Gold lion 6v6 tubes and gold lion rectifier. Seemed like I hadn't given them enough time to settle in before. I have been enjoying them quite a bit. The combo has a lot of drive. To be honest every tube has really had its own charm when rolled into this amp. My previous amplifiers did not react so readily to tube rolling. A testament to these great little power amps. The one tube that has not impressed however was my EML 5u4 mesh plate, I look forward to trying it in a future preamp. But it is a little soft around the edges for the money I am a little disappointed as my sovtek 5y3 bested it in every way. On your review of the sophia rectifiers they might be on my radar soon.

Happy rolling!

Coltrane1 10-11-2014 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 643330)
Coltrane.... regarding the Sophias... they charge $160 for the mesh plate and $130 for the solid plate, so still a good deal.

Thank you....only a $30 difference between the plates? Kewl...I'm running this setup driving a pair of Cain & Cain Abby's w/a Bailey sub...which on their own are fairly revealing....If I get brave later on I'll biamp a pair of hybrid electrostats using the FB 88 on the 'stat panels...s/b fun.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...psef066626.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps37b8225a.jpg

Coltrane1 10-11-2014 03:06 PM

There's no shortage of new Inspire products of late...a headphone amp, mono-blocks, etc.

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...pscfe700f5.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0d3df270.jpg

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/...ps43ede4e6.jpg

Simonatsea 10-12-2014 12:38 AM

For those on the hunt for different tubes EL34 in particular. Parts connection has a quad of fuller music el34 for $199. They look pretty nice however they are made by shuguang in china. I am hoping to luck into some full music/sophia KT88. Anyone had a chance to compare the sophia solid plates vs the mesh plates? I am a little weary after my EML mesh plate experience.

Simonatsea 10-12-2014 11:59 AM

Well I shouldn't have gone looking at parts connection.... Just pulled
The trigger on a pair of Psvane KT88-T for $99 and a pair of Psvane 6CA7-T for $75. I figure they will compliment my Shuguang treasures CV181-Z nicely..... And the tube collection continues to grow.....