AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Inspire by Dennis Had (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Dennis Had Inspire Amps (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=24170)

decooney 10-10-2018 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 935064)
I just couldn't do it. I had listed the LP-2 and KT150. But the last time I took a look at my ad, I just felt affection for them (I know, I know). I know I would miss them before long and they are irreplaceable.

So there you have it!

I'm kinda in the same boat, on the fence. Listed my Hot Rod KT150 on eBay this week. While I absolutely love it, and know it's a work of functional art, I am having to let it sit (too much) only able to use one system at a time, in one room already full, having to move things around every time. Originally thought I could use it in a den room after remodel, plan now canceled. Seeing your post is poking at my brain to figure out how to change my mind and cancel the ad. Probably should have bought a pair of those QMB25 Monoblocks instead and effectively replaced my big amp on my main system, yet I can't part with that either, sounds too damn good. Trying not to become a collector. Hard to do...:sigh:

pstrisik 10-10-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 935077)
I'm kinda in the same boat, on the fence. Listed my Hot Rod KT150 on eBay this week. While I absolutely love it, and know it's a work of functional art, I am having to let it sit (too much) only able to use one system at a time, in one room already full, having to move things around every time. Originally thought I could use it in a den room after remodel, plan now canceled. Seeing your post is poking at my brain to figure out how to change my mind and cancel the ad. Probably should have bought a pair of those QMB25 Monoblocks instead and effectively replaced my big amp on my main system, yet I can't part with that either, sounds too damn good. Trying not to become a collector. Hard to do...:sigh:

Even if I store them for a while, I'm figuring it will be better than selling now. Once we commit to the new place to live, I'll decide again based on size, storage space, etc. If I can set up with both amps in order to switch back and forth, rather than have to unpack every time I want to run it, it will be easier to keep.

Maybe Dennis will have further upgrades available to notch up the SQ a bit further along the way.

Now, since I'm keeping them, I'll have to try the 6F6's that he and others are raving about (dammit!!).

FloridaBoy 10-10-2018 03:55 PM

Decooney and Peter,

Have you considered trying different coupling capacitors? When you find the right one it can really make a difference and it is/can be less $$ than rolling tubes.

Tyson 10-10-2018 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy (Post 935137)
Decooney and Peter,

Have you considered trying different coupling capacitors? When you find the right one it can really make a difference and it is/can be less $$ than rolling tubes.

I recommend the Jupiter caps. Very clear, very dynamic, with a nice tone.

pstrisik 10-10-2018 05:14 PM

Quote:

Decooney and Peter,

Which are coupling (vs. bypass?) in the amp (bottom one (obviously)). And what have you found that you like? The Jantzens are from Dennis' upgrade a couple of years ago ........

https://i.imgur.com/6YEYxGJ.jpg

Thx

decooney 10-10-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Decooney and Peter,

Caps installed by Dennis in my Hot Rod KT150 amp, are these, know of them?

This photo was with them at purchase time as I recall, but I've never opened mine up to confirm if this is actually what's inside or not. May need to.
I do like the sound of the amp and if I had room for another pair of larger efficient speakers in my main room, I'd keep all of it.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/iE...m=w595-h553-no

pstrisik 10-10-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 935189)
Caps installed by Dennis in my Hot Rod KT150 amp, are these, know of them?

This photo was with them at purchase time as I recall, but I've never opened mine up to confirm if this is actually what's inside or not. May need to.

I'm sure you have what he has in the photo, if that is your amp he took the shot of.

The yellow caps are auracaps. Same as was in mine before the upgrade when he installed the Jantzens. Your Audyns may be a step up from the red barrels I have. Don't know what the red ones are.

Here's a photo before the upgrade:

https://i.imgur.com/KKGllGSl.jpg

decooney 10-10-2018 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrisik (Post 935190)
I'm sure you have what he has in the photo, if that is your amp he took the shot of.

The yellow caps are auracaps. Same as was in mine before the upgrade when he installed the Jantzens. Your Audyns may be a step up from the red barrels I have. Don't know what the red ones are.

Here's a photo before the upgrade:

I see, thanks. So, I need to upgrade my upgraded Hot Rod. Hahah. Nice. When he built the little 10w Inspire Hot Rod amp for me, I asked him to consider putting in my favorite caps I have in my other Cary tube amps. Never happened, stopped asking.

Now running Mundorf EVO Silver Gold coupling caps in my other big amp. That's where I spend my time listening. While the Inspire is nice, my big amp is on any entirely different level of dynamics, sound stage, detail and impact. Fills the entire room with tube sound. 50watts of strapped Triode. The Mundorf EVO Silver Gold caps are real nice in the big amp. Not sure I'd invest in them for my Inspire Hot Rod now, sounds okay for what it is. Nice little den room amp. Thx.

FloridaBoy 10-11-2018 06:32 AM

My amp had Russian K42-y coupling caps. It took some experimenting and I changed them to something that works better for me. I bypassed the electrolytics with Duelund copper and tin foils. There are many different choices and ultimately the choice is system dependent. I put HT Jupiter copper foils in my LP27a but they melted.

FloridaBoy 10-12-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by decooney (Post 935191)
I see, thanks. So, I need to upgrade my upgraded Hot Rod. Hahah. Nice. When he built the little 10w Inspire Hot Rod amp for me, I asked him to consider putting in my favorite caps I have in my other Cary tube amps. Never happened, stopped asking.

Now running Mundorf EVO Silver Gold coupling caps in my other big amp. That's where I spend my time listening. While the Inspire is nice, my big amp is on any entirely different level of dynamics, sound stage, detail and impact. Fills the entire room with tube sound. 50watts of strapped Triode. The Mundorf EVO Silver Gold caps are real nice in the big amp. Not sure I'd invest in them for my Inspire Hot Rod now, sounds okay for what it is. Nice little den room amp. Thx.

Auricaps are well regarded. Upgrade caps? Changing them is an experiment and there is no 'best' cap. Just what sounds best to you. I have no $$$ boutique stuff and often use different brands in different places. It's really about synergy in your system. What works for me may not be optimal for you. If the Mundorf EVO's work in the big amp they may be stellar in the Hot Rod.

Decooney, your speakers may just need 50 watts to come alive and there is nothing wrong with that. :thumbsup: