AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Home Theater (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Any Experience with the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45712)

mtroo 04-29-2019 08:32 AM

Any Experience with the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500?

I have a home theater that has not had any upgrades since we moved in 13 years ago. The TV is a rear projection model; the furnace room sits on the other side of the wall but this will need to rectified.
I did purchase a new LG OLED65E8PUA for the family room which is very nice but now I need source material. I am looking at the Pioneer UDP-LX500 and am soliciting feedback from any owners. As I start down the path of upgrading the HT I have discovered how out of date I am with HT technology. I figure improving the source material in the family room first to dip my toe in the pool is a good place to start.

prepress 04-29-2019 10:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No experience, but I'm looking at it too. I attached the brochure, if that'll help any.

mtroo 04-29-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 963140)
No experience, but I'm looking at it too. I attached the brochure, if that'll help any.

Thank you. I had seen in another post that you were considering this, but I wonder if we are jumping on a sinking ship. Oppo and Samsung have both withdrawn from making Blue-Ray players. I just wonder if I would be better off with something like a Kleidescape. Hmm...

streetspirit 04-29-2019 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 963146)
Thank you. I had seen in another post that you were considering this, but I wonder if we are jumping on a sinking ship. Oppo and Samsung have both withdrawn from making Blue-Ray players. I just wonder if I would be better off with something like a Kleidescape. Hmm...

I have a kaleidescape server and I’m smitten... so smooth and user interface is super slick. Movies start up with no menus or warnings, just right at the beginning! Ivan is a dealer...!

Mitch

mtroo 04-29-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by streetspirit (Post 963207)
I have a kaleidescape server and I’m smitten... so smooth and user interface is super slick. Movies start up with no menus or warnings, just right at the beginning! Ivan is a dealer...!

Mitch

Yes I knew that. The stratos seems like quite a unit

Masterlu 04-30-2019 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 963209)
Yes I knew that. The stratos seems like quite a unit

I never thought we would really use our Kaleidescape that much. I was so wrong, we use it every night!

Search by genre, actor, director, animation, no problem. Only have 90 mins for a movie, just search by time. Getting tired; pause it in your Theater, resume it in your bedroom. Have children, just employ parental controls. New movies added daily, currently over 12,000 movies available. Finally storage and selection is no longer an issue. The entire system will work with any all in one remote.

Amazing interface, zero learning curve, output is HDMI. All you need is an Ethernet jack to download your movies. Create your own special scenes, and favorite demos. Bulletproof RAID configured hard drives, for the ultimate reliability. Buy a movie once from the K-Scape store, and you can download it up to 5 times. For those that have multiple homes, boats, or aircraft. If you have gigabit internet service, you can download an entire BR in 10 minutes flat; 4K version 12 minutes.

Endless possibilities, tons of 4K content, get your movies long before they’re released on Blu Ray. Limitless expansion, and flawless image & sound. Color me impressed. :yes:

mtroo 04-30-2019 04:04 PM

Ivan,
The ethernet needs to be plugged into the Kaleidescape?

prepress 05-04-2019 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtroo (Post 963146)

For me, a large collection of DVDs and BDs precludes dumping the format. And since the bulk of them are music/concert and special interest-type stuff, I don't see streaming as my future. I'm not into movies enough to go for Kaleidescape or anything similar. I don't have time to watch what I have now, really. I'd like that to change.

If, unlike me, you're really into movies, Kaleidescape sounds like something to check out. If you have a sizeable collection of discs, however, then unless you rip them to a server you'll still need something to play them on so it may as well be decent.

prepress 10-12-2020 03:31 PM

I have read some reviews of both the Pioneer LX500 and Panasonic's UB9000. Both are praised highly, but the consesus seems to be that the UB9000 is better with video and the LX500 with audio. The Panasonic doesn't play SACD or DVD-A due to a limitation in its chipset. Sound-wise, the Pioneer is better at capturing rhythm; it's more focused and precise, whereas the Panasonic is fuller and richer.

Both have their merits, but I'd still take the Pioneer because it's a true universal player, and I like the styling. What I haven't found is what DAC the Panasonic uses. I'd like to know.

TommyC 10-12-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prepress (Post 1017398)
I have read some reviews of both the Pioneer LX500 and Panasonic's UB9000. Both are praised highly, but the consesus seems to be that the UB9000 is better with video and the LX500 with audio. The Panasonic doesn't play SACD or DVD-A due to a limitation in its chipset. Sound-wise, the Pioneer is better at capturing rhythm; it's more focused and precise, whereas the Panasonic is fuller and richer.

Both have their merits, but I'd still take the Pioneer because it's a true universal player, and I like the styling. What I haven't found is what DAC the Panasonic uses. I'd like to know.

AKM AK4493 DAC. The Japanese Limited version uses AK4497.