AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   The little green music making boxes are home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9139)

PHC1 07-21-2011 06:33 PM

The little green music making boxes are home

I am a proud new owner of Shindo gear! :banana:

The gently preowned Monbrison preamp and Cortese SET amp are now residing in my system and making sweet, sweet music. I'll share my findings a bit later on and believe me, I have a lot to say. :yes:

Here are some pics in the mean time. :thumbsup:

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...o/IMG_1501.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...o/IMG_1497.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...o/IMG_1490.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...o/IMG_1492.jpg

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...7/IMG_1508.jpg

chessman 07-21-2011 06:35 PM

congratulations!!

Doug Lax 07-21-2011 06:36 PM

Congrats Serge !

TommyC 07-21-2011 06:51 PM

Congrats! Looking forward to your comments.

jwhite613 07-21-2011 07:12 PM

Congratulations Serge! Looks good. Love the pics.

Masterlu 07-21-2011 07:13 PM

Good for you Serge... look forward to impressions once you settle in with them. :thumbsup:

jdandy 07-21-2011 07:18 PM

Serge.......Very attractive photos. Can't wait to hear "The Rest Of The Story", as Paul Harvey might say.

howiebrou 07-21-2011 08:03 PM

Congrats Serge. Great looking gear. It must sound wonderful through the Tannoys :thumbsup:

howie

Doug Lax 07-21-2011 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 182954)
Serge.......Very attractive photos. Can't wait to hear "The Rest Of The Story", as Paul Harvey might say.

I sure miss hearing him:sigh:

Alberto 07-21-2011 08:28 PM

Beautiful Serge,

It's great for the two of us to be in sync with our gear once again :-).

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I have very few worries about you loving the sound, my only concern is how the 10W+10W drive those beautiful Kensingtons in your room.

So far, the only negative thing I can say about my Shindo+Tannoy setup is that it has made me more sedentary than I'd like - I've gained 3lbs since acquiring them.

I love hiking, but 3 hours hike vs. a 3 hours listening session is a much tougher choice these days.

Alberto

cmalak 07-21-2011 08:44 PM

Congrats Serge! Looking forward to hear more :thumbsup:

two dot 07-21-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 182967)
Beautiful Serge,

Can't wait to hear your impressions. I have very few worries about you loving the sound, my only concern is how the 10W+10W drive those beautiful Kensingtons in your room.

So far, the only negative thing I can say about my Shindo+Tannoy setup is that it has made me more sedentary than I'd like - I've gained 3lbs since acquiring them.

I love hiking, but 3 hours hike vs. a 3 hours listening session is a much tougher choice these days.

Alberto

Listening to mine right now and I SHOULD BE OUT HIKING...

Congrats Serge...

Welcome to the GREEN side!!!

f1 fan 07-21-2011 10:23 PM

Serge...beautiful equipment and wonderful sounds await you. Congrats and looking forward to your impressions & more pix.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone using A.Aficionado

'cisco 07-22-2011 01:19 AM

Congrats Serge...nice pics too :drool:

omodo 07-22-2011 01:42 AM

congrats :thumbsup:

Jerome W 07-22-2011 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 182954)

+1 !
Congratulations Serge !

dpod4 07-22-2011 02:48 AM

stunning. love the photos. they should hire you to take pictures of their gear! best I've seen to date. would love to hear comparisons to other amps you have listened to.

Puma Cat 07-22-2011 03:04 AM

Wow! That's some beautiful gear, Serge! Congratulations!

Let us know what you think once you get some listening impressions.

What was your previous system? I can't remember the components, specifically.

audiot servant 07-22-2011 05:27 AM

Congratulations.... some really beautiful green you've got there... :yes:

cheers
Graham

Main Music:Meridian Transport>Wireworld silver starlight USB>Pure Music>Mac Air with 256GB SSD>Wireworld silver eclipse 6 IC >Calyx DAC>Shindo Aurieges L>Sanders Magtech>Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 SC>Magnepan 3.7
Head Music: Audeze LCD2 and AKG 702>Violectric V200 headphone amp
AV: Oppo 95 (coming soon)>Straightwire ICs>Peachtree Nova>Quicksilver GE 8417 monos>biwired Kimber 8tc>Proac Response 2

1KW 07-22-2011 07:13 AM

Good to see the passion coming back for your 2 channel room. Very nice looking in a cool retro / minimalist sort of way. Looking forward to reading your impression .

Volks 07-22-2011 11:05 PM

Very,very nice! :)

PHC1 07-22-2011 11:43 PM

Sorry guys, I'm having a really hard time pulling myself away from listening to write anything meaningful.. These green boxes have a way with music unlike any other gear I've owned. I'll try to elaborate tomorrow or the day after if I can pull myself away from the listening sessions. :music:

jwhite613 07-22-2011 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 183353)
Sorry guys, I'm having a really hard time pulling myself away from listening to write anything meaningful.. These green boxes have a way with music unlike any other gear I've owned. I'll try to elaborate tomorrow or the day after if I can pull myself away from the listening sessions. :music:

Seems like Alberto had the same problem. Music on this gear makes you kind of not wanting to do anything else, but listen. :yes: That in itself gives the little green boxes an exceptional review. :thumbsup: Glad you are enjoying your new gear. :music:

PHC1 07-22-2011 11:56 PM

I really should answer a few questions in the mean time. :yes:

PHC1 07-22-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by howiebrou (Post 182959)
Congrats Serge. Great looking gear. It must sound wonderful through the Tannoys :thumbsup:

howie

Howie, the Tannoys I have right now are pretty finicky. Finicky in terms of placement, finicky and picky with gear. I've tried 4 different amps so far, solid state, push pull tube, Ayon SET and now Shindo. They love tube power but sound their best with SET. :yes: Now, Shindo really makes them happy, or should I say we are both happy? No, actually ecstatic is more like it. :music:

two dot 07-23-2011 12:38 AM

Glad that Alberto and now Serge are hearing what I'm hearing....

I was starting to think that I was crazy....:D

There REALLY IS nothing like it....

PHC1 07-23-2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alberto (Post 182967)
Beautiful Serge,

Alberto

Alberto my friend, I owe you. :yes: It is great to be in sync and this time I think we both have systems that we have been searching for a long time. :thumbsup:

The 10w with Kensingtons is not a problem at all. I was rocking out today and reaching peaks of 98dB with dynamic room to spare. It is plenty for me. I usually listen in the 80-90dB range tops.

The Cortese locked in with Kensingtons like two characters from some romance novel... I don't know, Romeo and Juliet perhaps, except with a good ending. :D The synergy is undeniable. They love each other. :yes:

How about that Monbrison? I tried the EAR 324 today just to compare. Once again, you were right, the Monbrison is a great phono stage with a preamp thrown in. :D It politely walks all over the 324. Simply awesome, both MM and MC.

How about that bass? That full, round, wet, analog bass. Man does it sound right. :thumbsup: Amazing what a 10w SET can do with the right speakers. :thumbsup:

I'll share more when I can tear away from those trance inducing listening sessions... :drool:

PHC1 07-23-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 183369)
Glad that Alberto and now Serge are hearing what I'm hearing....

I was starting to think that I was crazy....:D

There REALLY IS nothing like it....

You are right Stephen, not that I've heard so far. :no: I thought that Lamm was spectacular which it was but Shindo takes it to a different musical level all together. I've heard and owned many different systems, Shindo is like the Goldilocks and three bears story, not too hot, not too cold, not too hard, not too soft but juuuust RIGHT! :D

Shindo does remind me of my ex Lamm system a lot but it has even more magic than Class A hybrid could give me. It has real SET magic with balls to boot. :yes: Bass is just the way I like it, very Lamm like. :thumbsup:

PHC1 07-23-2011 12:54 AM

I have a good feeling this Shindo stuff is going to cost me big time. How will I be able to resist moving up the line??? :sigh:

TommyC 07-23-2011 12:58 AM

Sounds like you're enjoying the system big time Serge!
Are you using Shindo's cables and power conditioner?

two dot 07-23-2011 01:01 AM

Hold on... it's a slippery ride.... but, you WILL LOVE every step!

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...wodot1/301.gif

PHC1 07-23-2011 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyC (Post 183379)
Sounds like you're enjoying the system big time Serge!
Are you using Shindo's cables and power conditioner?

Shindo IC between the preamp and amp so far. No MR.T power conditioner for me yet. :D I do have RGPC 400 filtering the AC in the mean time. Enjoying it would be an understatement. I love it!

PHC1 07-23-2011 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 183380)
Hold on... it's a slippery ride.... but, you WILL LOVE every step!

http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/t...wodot1/301.gif

Stephen, I know... Chances are there will be a Shindo/Garrard in my system someday in the future. Resistance is futile... :D

two dot 07-23-2011 01:09 AM

Told you....

PHC1 07-23-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 183384)
Told you....

Yes Stephen, I owe you a big Thank You as well! :thumbsup: It was a bold step never having heard Shindo before. To commit a decent chunk of money to this project... but I had faith in it since Alberto and you were so happy with the results. :thumbsup:

PHC1 07-23-2011 01:37 AM

I think I really should mention at this point, knowing how our audiophile imagination and passion ignites fires that rage out of control and burns holes in wallets. :D Shindo, may or may not be everyone's cup of tea. Audition is a must!

IMHO, it is a system that has to be thought out well. Speakers that are tube friendly, not necessarily in the 100dB efficiency range but definitely tube friendly impedance wise for best results. :yes:

There are plenty of systems out there that can and will impress in other areas such as transparency and resolution, dynamic prowess and slam. Shindo is just a bit more opaque and a bit warmer than many of the more neutral reference systems out there.

I had a specific goal in mind for my room, speakers and was willing to sacrifice certain traits for musicality and ease of listening. Going after Shindo has exceeded my expectations as I really did not have to give up much after all but I wanted for someone interested to be aware that this is not a typical sound. It is much more to some and perhaps not enough for others, although I can't imagine someone who really enjoys music for the emotional response it evokes not connecting deeply with a well setup Shindo system.

PHC1 07-23-2011 01:48 AM

There, I even changed my Avatar from Ferrari to Shindo. Imagine that.... :D

Jerome W 07-23-2011 01:56 AM

Serge,
I'm happy for you. :banana:
Finding the Audio Nirvana after many years of search and experiments is a unique moment.
I found it with only one component in my system so I'm happy that I don't have to change everything.
Congratulations and have a safe journey when you will move up the line !

PHC1 07-23-2011 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dpod4 (Post 183098)
stunning. love the photos. they should hire you to take pictures of their gear! best I've seen to date. would love to hear comparisons to other amps you have listened to.

Thank you! I do like photography and have a decent Canon setup but there are truly skilled photographers here on AA. :yes:

PHC1 07-23-2011 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 183099)
Wow! That's some beautiful gear, Serge! Congratulations!

Let us know what you think once you get some listening impressions.

What was your previous system? I can't remember the components, specifically.

Previous system? Let's see, for this "analog room" I had Sophia IIIs and tried a few different combo's including REF ARC gear before changing direction all together. I have Bryston/Krell/Sonus Faber in my theater. Sophia 2s followed by Sasha and Lamm gear before I moved. Before that I enjoyed tons of different stuff over the years. Krell, Mark Levinson, CAT, BAT, Rogue Audio, Cary, CJ, tons of ARC, Audible Illusions, Threshold, McCormack, McIntosh. I have auditioned probably just about everything out there back in the day being blessed with some truly great hi end audio dealers in the area but not so much lately. :no: Spectral, Jadis, Pass Labs, Boulder, Accuphase, Chord, Naim, Linn, Atma-sphere, VAC, VTL were often auditioned and enjoyed and I do miss those exciting auditions but just don't have time to go and listen just for fun anymore. :tears: