AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shindo Laboratory (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   The little green music making boxes are home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=9139)

jwhite613 07-27-2011 06:39 PM

Hi Cyril. Will do. Waiting for Jonathan Halpern to send complete contact info. Earlier he stated there was a dealer in NYC and Westford, MA but no further details. I emailed back for Westford contact info. I will PM as soon as I receive it.

Hello Jeff,

Thanks for your email. I have a dealer in NYC and a small dealer in Westford, MA. These would be the closest to you. Let me know if you have a preference and I'd be glad to send you contact info.

Best regards,
Jonathan Halpern
Tone Imports LLC

chessman 07-27-2011 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by two dot (Post 184517)
One in Ohio also... but we all know that Matt is the BEST!!!

Where?

cmalak 07-27-2011 11:54 PM

Don Better Audio I believe (Shaker Heights, east of Cleveland): Don Better Audio Products - High Quality Home Audio Products in Cleveland Ohio

chessman 07-27-2011 11:56 PM

Cyril, thanks!

adhesiv 07-28-2011 01:35 PM

Newbie wanting to try Shindo

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but looking at trying Shindo in my system. I've been researching a bit and one of the things I've read is to splurge more on the preamp vs. the amp in the Shindo line. I'm not in the position to do both at the same time so assuming my understanding is correct and based on my current system, what would you recommend as a starting point?

Current System:
Source/DAC/Pre: Logitech Transporter
Amps: Bel Canto REF500M
Speakers: Sonus Faber Cremona

I eventually plan to add a dedicated DAC and possibly jump into vinyl at some point (I have a huge collection from my Dad but no rig at the moment). I may also consider dropping the amps/spkrs and moving towards the lower power camp as I hear that where the Shindo magic really shines.

Thanks in advance!

TommyC 07-28-2011 06:44 PM

Welcome to AA adhesiv.

Shindo believes Preamp is the heart of a system. I would recommend getting the best preamp you can afford. Having a dedicated preamp will do wonders in your system. Then, when more funds are available, get the amp.

jwhite613 07-28-2011 06:47 PM

Welcome to AA adhesiv! :wave:

Alberto 07-28-2011 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhesiv (Post 185087)
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but looking at trying Shindo in my system. I've been researching a bit and one of the things I've read is to splurge more on the preamp vs. the amp in the Shindo line. I'm not in the position to do both at the same time so assuming my understanding is correct and based on my current system, what would you recommend as a starting point?

It really depends, in my case the biggest contributor to the delicious sound was the Cortese amplifier. Nothing like an SET amp IMO, but it may not work well with your Cremonas.

In either case, it's hard to go wrong with Shindo IMO.

Alberto

adhesiv 07-28-2011 08:18 PM

Thanks guys. I've been considering the purchase of a used Monbrison but the price is rather steep and want to make sure I'm not overvaluing a used piece of gear so wanted to bounce off some folks with more familiarity...I haven't read the terms of this board yet (I will I promise!) but is it acceptable to ask if something is a good deal or is price talk strictly prohibited?

I don't have access to PM yet either since under 10 replies so cannot discuss privately either.

Alberto 07-28-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adhesiv (Post 185253)
Thanks guys. I've been considering the purchase of a used Monbrison but the price is rather steep and want to make sure I'm not overvaluing a used piece of gear so wanted to bounce off some folks with more familiarity...I haven't read the terms of this board yet (I will I promise!) but is it acceptable to ask if something is a good deal or is price talk strictly prohibited?

I don't have access to PM yet either since under 10 replies so cannot discuss privately either.

0) You sure are a polite and considerate person - excellent, you'll be fine here :-).

1) The $25 fee to become a member may be your best investment in audio yet.

2) If you are wondering about the Monbrison on Audiogon now, it's a good deal. Of course, I would (and have) paid a bit more for the peace of mind of buying from an authorized dealer ... e.g., if Matt at Pitch Perfect had a trade in on hand.

Alberto