AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Shunyata Research (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Shunyata Venom USB cable - Another absolute killer Shunyata product (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45478)

Puma Cat 04-01-2019 12:28 AM

Shunyata Venom USB cable - Another absolute killer Shunyata product

An audio buddy came over yesterday to do some listening to the new and amazing Shunyata Alpha USB cable, and he brought with him his recently acquired Shunyata Venom USB cable. This cable has an MSRP of $200, but I've recently seen if on sale at various retailers.

I've known about the Shunyata Venom USB for some time now, but I hadn't considered buying it because I presumed, at its price point, that it wouldn't be better than my (highly-acclaimed) AudioQuest Diamond USB cable, which presently sells for $600/0.75M. The AudioQuest Diamond USB has received numerous excellent reviews over the last 4-5 years.

That presumption on my part, as it turns out, would have been a mistake.

Until a few weeks ago, the AudioQuest Diamond was the best-sounding USB cable that I had heard, and I was using it between my Sonore microRendu and Schiit Gungnir Multibit DAC Gen 5 USB.

I should point out that Sonore has rather strongly recommended using a very short plastic-molded USB male A to male B "hard coupler" adapter in place of a USB cable. Back when I got my Sonore at the end of 2016, I made the assumption that the USB hard coupler couldn't be better than the AQ Diamond, so I never installed it until a few weeks ago when I was in one of my scientist-type experimental moods. I installed the USB hard coupler in place of the AQ Diamond, and lo and behold, d*mned if it didn't sound quite a bit better than the AQ Diamond USB cable. Transparency was improved, there was less noise, and overall, the sound quality across the board and musical presentation was superior. The AQ Diamond was relegated to the cables plastic storage container (which I am sure all of you have! :p)

That lasted until the Shunyata Alpha USB arrived, and y'all know how that turned out! ;) :thumbsup:

Anyway, as we were going to do a proper demo of the Shunayta Venom USB, I went back to the "reference" setup (aka the datum) and re-installed the short USB male A/B hard coupler (which I should I point out, is a PITA to use, as it requires putting supports under the microRendu as it just stick out and "floats" in Gumby's USB receiver port. I used a stack of Herbie's silicone cups on top of some business cards to support the microRendu at just the right height).

We listened for a bit to 3-4 songs, including Lisboa, Impossible Love and Se Voce Ama on Melody Gardot's The Absence and and, sure enough, the system sounded quite good. We then swapped out the short USB hard coupler for the Shunyata Venom USB cable.

Wow. BIG improvement. :thumbsup: All of a sudden, the soundstage opened up considerably, there was more spaciousness, more precise imaging and soundstage depth, the bass was tighter and more finely articulated, the top end was more extended, airy and silky, and there was "breath" and palpability from the singers' voice, as if the sound, texture, vocal quality was actually coming from an actual flesh & blood singer than than a simple electronic "avatar" of a singer (if that makes sense). Very subtle and delicate percussion and instrumental tones, notes and details were now discernable and created a textural auditory "frisson" of instrumental melodies.

Just as importantly, like all Shunyata products I've used, the presentation was very quiet, natural-sounding, and "sweet" in the best possible way. I hate to use the over-used and generic term "musical", but in essence, that's what is was...the presentation was very much like all the other Shunyata products I've heard: they impart a quietness, naturalness and "trueness" to musicality that creates a sense of "listening ease" and leads to an engaging and involving musical experience, and that was most certainly the case here. :music:

And I know some of you are curious: how is the Shunyata Venom USB compared to my AudioQuest Diamond USB cable? Well, in my opinon and experience, the Shunyata Venom USB blows the Diamond into the weeds, its not even close.

In summary, if you're looking for a quality USB cable for your DAC or network streamer and your budget doesn't presently stretch to the incredible and amazing Shunyata Alpha USB, do yourself a favor, and pick up a Shunyata Venom USB. This USB cable is an absolutely massive value proposition for the performance and most importantly, the musical experience you get for the money.

I should have bought this cable years ago...:d'oh:

John Jordan 04-01-2019 08:34 AM

Stephen-

Thanks for your detailed comparisons and impressions. I found the Venom USB an improvement over other albeit more modest cables.

Now the Alpha gears are turning round, round, round!

jzzmusician 04-01-2019 05:59 PM

Stephen,

Thank you for posting your impressions. I read your review on your Alpha cable and thought hard about it. I'm sort of new to the streaming thing. I just use my iMac connected via the mighty Belkin USB to my dac. I found a 1.5 meter Venom used for 99 bucks. It should be here next week. I kind of hope it's not any better, because if it is, I'm probably going to have to go with a dedicated streamer as it would probably be better still. And that's another deep, dark money pit.

- Bob

Puma Cat 04-01-2019 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 959536)
Stephen,

Thank you for posting your impressions. I read your review on your Alpha cable and thought hard about it. I'm sort of new to the streaming thing. I just use my iMac connected via the mighty Belkin USB to my dac. I found a 1.5 meter Venom used for 99 bucks. It should be here next week. I kind of hope it's not any better, because if it is, I'm probably going to have to go with a dedicated streamer as it would probably be better still. And that's another deep, dark money pit.

- Bob

Boy, are you in for a pleasant surprise!

A dedicated streamer does not have to be a money pit. You can buy an Allo DigiOne Signature for 315 or a refurbished Sonore microRendu B-stock for $429, and you're good to go.

Parabellum 04-01-2019 09:24 PM

Thanks Stephen for sharing your experience with the Venom USB.

I won an Ebay auction in early March for a Kimber Kable KS-2416 USB which I am still waiting to arrive. And frankly it does not smell good as I believe the package has been lost since there is no progress on the tracking engine. That sucks.

Since I may have a 300$ hole in my pocket, I will have to find something suitable for the time being and the Venom seems to be a good option. I am using my Bryston BDP-2 to my BDA-3 using a generic XLR cable (canare with neutrik connectors) and it sounds very good but I know this is the weakest link in the chain. On the BDA-3, only USB inputs allow for DSD so that is why I went with a USB cable. I chose the KS-2416 because all my other cables and interconnects are Kimber Select (copper) so that I keep consistent within the family. If it happens that my KS-2416 was lost in the mail, I think I will go with the Venom USB; I would prefer a straight jump to the Alpha but that is beyond reach for now (preparing the ward for the summer!).

Thanks,

Puma Cat 04-01-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Parabellum (Post 959572)
Thanks Stephen for sharing your experience with the Venom USB.

I won an Ebay auction in early March for a Kimber Kable KS-2416 USB which I am still waiting to arrive. And frankly it does not smell good as I believe the package has been lost since there is no progress on the tracking engine. That sucks.

Since I may have a 300$ hole in my pocket, I will have to find something suitable for the time being and the Venom seems to be a good option. I am using my Bryston BDP-2 to my BDA-3 using a generic XLR cable (canare with neutrik connectors) and it sounds very good but I know this is the weakest link in the chain. On the BDA-3, only USB inputs allow for DSD so that is why I went with a USB cable. I chose the KS-2416 because all my other cables and interconnects are Kimber Select (copper) so that I keep consistent within the family. If it happens that my KS-2416 was lost in the mail, I think I will go with the Venom USB; I would prefer a straight jump to the Alpha but that is beyond reach for now (preparing the ward for the summer!).

Thanks,

Hi Serge,
I would just get the Shunyata Venom USB, to be honest, if I were you. Personally, I'm not a believer in keeping cables "in the family" because different cables classes interact with different components in different ways, so I personally have not found that staying with a single manufacturer will always produce optimal results.

So, I take a very scientist-type empirical approach and just go with what sounds the best with any given component that is in my budget. I haven't heard the Kimber KS-2416. I don't know if its as good as the AudioQuest Diamond, which has been a reference standard for many for a number of years, but the Shunyata Venom USB flat smokes the $600 AQ Diamond.

Anyway, let us know how things turn out and what you end up with...

Parabellum 04-08-2019 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 959588)
Hi Serge,
I would just get the Shunyata Venom USB, to be honest, if I were you. Personally, I'm not a believer in keeping cables "in the family" because different cables classes interact with different components in different ways, so I personally have not found that staying with a single manufacturer will always produce optimal results.

So, I take a very scientist-type empirical approach and just go with what sounds the best with any given component that is in my budget. I haven't heard the Kimber KS-2416. I don't know if its as good as the AudioQuest Diamond, which has been a reference standard for many for a number of years, but the Shunyata Venom USB flat smokes the $600 AQ Diamond.

Anyway, let us know how things turn out and what you end up with...

As unfortunate as it is, I got confirmation today from Ebay that my KS-2416 was "lost", short of any better explanation. :sigh:

At least I will get my money back. In the meantime to acquire an Alpha USB, I purchased a BIS Audio USB (local manufacturer in Quebec) locally as it was readily available and inexpensive. Next step will be to upgrade my power cords.

jzzmusician 04-09-2019 12:18 AM

Quick follow up to my previous post;

I received my Venom USB cable 4 or 5 days ago. I hooked it up, powered up my system and listened.

It sounded the same. Oh well, 99 bucks, I'm good with that.

I left my system on an about an hour later wandered back into my listening room and kinda went, "what?"

Music was sounding more relaxed, more coherent and more like, "I want to hear more." I was a bit surprised. And hoping this was not an anomaly and I hadn't just blown 99 bucks.

I listened for awhile and left the room again. I came back a couple of hours later because even from my office the music sounded better. More listenable. Hell, it sounded happy.

After these past few days I have to agree, the Venom is vastly better than my high end Belkin cable I replaced.

I'm not sure if I have the gear to hear the difference between this and the Alpha, but damn, this improvement is alluring...

Bob

Masterlu 04-09-2019 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jzzmusician (Post 960584)

I'm not sure if I have the gear to hear the difference between this and the Alpha, but damn, this improvement is alluring...

Bob

Bob... you do have the gear, but that’s a different thread and sound quality in another Zip Code entirely.

jzzmusician 04-09-2019 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 960588)
Bob... you do have the gear, but that’s a different thread and sound quality in another Zip Code entirely.

Ivan,

I was afraid you'd say something like that. Damn. I'm kinda getting ready for a new dac and now I've got a $1000 USB cable looking at me.

Double damn!!

- Bob