AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Focal Speakers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=159)
-   -   Sopra No3 room size and listening distance (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=44642)

dvir 12-18-2018 06:11 PM

Sopra No3 room size and listening distance

Hi,

I'm considering the Sopra3 No3 and have a question about room dimensions.
My listening room is around 430 ft2.
Listening distance is 9'4", focal doesn't mention a minimum listening distance.

Quoting from Focal's site about No3: "it will reveal its full potential in rooms measuring up to 860 ft2".

So I wonder, is my room size and listening distance good enough for the No3's?

Thanks

Projectman 12-18-2018 06:27 PM

They will sound great. Nothing to be concerned about

Superfrg 12-18-2018 06:33 PM

Thats around 40 m2, I had my Sopra 2's in a similiar room with no issues and they also work fine in a much bigger room now.
Listening distance looks around normal, so I dont think there anything to worry about.
Distance to walls would be a bigger consideration.

Personally, If buying new I would skip the Sopra line and grab a second hand set of Maestros. Im going to exchange my Sopras to the Maestros.
They are really good value second hand here in Europe anyway.

dvir 12-18-2018 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superfrg (Post 945239)
Thats around 40 m2, I had my Sopra 2's in a similiar room with no issues and they also work fine in a much bigger room now.

Thanks for the reply. I'm asking about the 3's, not 2's though :)

Also, regarding distance to walls. Is that measured from the back or the front? i have about 25cm from the back of the speaker to the wall and the speaker cabinet is another 40 so that makes 65 to front? also, port is down right so that helps as well?

Thanks

knecht 12-18-2018 08:12 PM

You should measure from the front of the speaker to the wall. Focal includes a optimization calculation in the Sopra manual that I used and it worked well. You will definitely want space around the speaker and the bottom port will help. I’ve heard the 3’s can be hard to dial in when in a smaller room. If you are concerned, why not look at look at the 2’s they are good for up to 750ft2?

mcpaf76 12-20-2018 10:40 PM

In my opinion, your room size or listening distance isn't a problem. Mine are in a 300SQ Ft room with about 9 feet distance and sound amazing. 25cm is much too close to the back wall. Mine are 40 inches from the rear of the speaker to the back wall with even more than that to the side walls. They didn't even sound remotely as good until they had some breathing room.

dvir 12-27-2018 12:03 PM

So after having the Sopra 2's for only two weeks I ended up replacing them with No.3 and WoW, such a huge difference!! Granted my room size (~55m2) is rather large and indeed helps bringing out the difference between them. Couldn't be happier with this decision.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Antonmb 12-27-2018 12:52 PM

Wow, big step up, congratulations!

mulveling 12-27-2018 07:05 PM

Missed this thread earlier but was going to mention that yeah - my dealer had them in a room very similar in size to what you mention, and it's no surprise you love your new set. They're really outstanding speakers! Upgrades don't always work out (especially with speakers), but looks like you nailed it. Enjoy!!

Fred_B 01-16-2019 10:50 AM

I may have the opportunity to design a listening room for my Sopra 3's. We will be building a new house in the future, and I want to have a dedicated listening room.

Some preliminary calculations with Focal's optimization formula from the user's manual and playing with room mode online calculators gives one possible room size of 16 x 20 feet, with a 10 foot ceiling as a starting point. Speakers placed 8 feet apart and listening position about 10 feet from the speakers.

Any other suggestions? Am I on the right track?

I am trying to determine a room size that is realistic given that it would need to fit into a 3000-3200 sq ft house (1 story).