AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   CD Players, Digital Music & Servers (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   dCS Network Bridge or Auralic Aries G2 ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=45930)

JemHadar 05-30-2019 04:40 AM

dCS Network Bridge or Auralic Aries G2 ?

I’m game for a wireless Roon Ready streamer with AES/EBU output.
Today only two streamers made the shortlist. In Belgium they are pretty much similar in price. Before making a choice I would love to learn from fellow members who have experience with one or both of these devices. Thank You.

bart 05-30-2019 05:40 AM

Jacques, I know you have the Roon Nucleus +.
You now prefer going wireless?

JemHadar 05-30-2019 06:43 AM

The Roon Nucleus+ runs the Roon Server software. It can also be used as a Roon Endpoint through the USB port, which I do in the big system downstairs.

However, for the Man Cave upstairs, I’m looking for a wireless Roon Endpoint. I brought the magnificent McIntosh MDA1000 DAC back into service. The MDA does not have an USB input, hence the need for an Endpoint with AES/EBU output.

The wireless Dynaudio Link (connected to MDA through optical), currently in use upstairs (Dynaudio Hub on the remaining Nucleus+ USB port) works fine in the Roon ecosystem. Although the sound quality of the Dynaudio Link is adequate for casual listening it is not the best. Also the Dynaudio Link has trouble locking on to the wireless stream, requiring a hard reboot by disconnecting the power supply...mildly annoying...so time for a new box.

The Roon Nucleus+ is still required as the brains...but the Dynaudio Link will be replaced at some point in time. Both the dCS and Auralic seem like fine choices to serve as wireless Roon Endpoint.

Testimonials, I have read thus far, rate both the Network Bridge and the Aries G2 as top in the same class...but there can only be one “King of the Hill” [emoji869][emoji41]

bart 05-30-2019 09:15 AM

I heard both recently.
Not in a direct comparison, so I can't name a 'king".
What I liked about the Auralic was the screen that indicates the track you're playing.
Added value for me.

JemHadar 05-31-2019 03:43 AM

I enquired about the wireless capabilities of the dCS Network Bridge on the dCS website. The next day I received a reply.

“At present, we are yet to implement the Wi-Fi feature on the Network Bridge.

It is something we will consider in the future, but it is very much dependent upon how much demand there is for this to be implemented.

If and when we were to implement this feature, it will be via the means of an internet software update - available to download from our Mosaic platform.”

I guess that makes the Auralic Aries G2 the wireless “King of the Hill” for now.

ATC2 06-08-2019 10:53 PM

Jem I just got my G1 yesterday, in many ways it is similar to the G2.
I was using a MacBook Air previous to this. All I can say is that I’m in streaming heaven, it has exceeded all my expectations. If you decide to go with Auralic I think you’ll be happy.

Puma Cat 06-09-2019 02:31 AM

You also might consider the Zen Innuous...

JemHadar 06-09-2019 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puma Cat (Post 968008)
You also might consider the Zen Innuous...

Don’t know if the Zen has wifi out of the box. Anyway I need a XLR AES/EBU output as the MDA1000 does not have USB, and the Zen is USB only.

JemHadar 06-09-2019 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATC2 (Post 968000)
Jem I just got my G1 yesterday, in many ways it is similar to the G2.

I was using a MacBook Air previous to this. All I can say is that I’m in streaming heaven, it has exceeded all my expectations. If you decide to go with Auralic I think you’ll be happy.

Thx...good to hear. Enjoy the G1.

1KW 06-09-2019 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jem666 (Post 966606)
The Roon Nucleus+ runs the Roon Server software. It can also be used as a Roon Endpoint through the USB port, which I do in the big system downstairs.

However, for the Man Cave upstairs, I’m looking for a wireless Roon Endpoint. I brought the magnificent McIntosh MDA1000 DAC back into service. The MDA does not have an USB input, hence the need for an Endpoint with AES/EBU output.

The wireless Dynaudio Link (connected to MDA through optical), currently in use upstairs (Dynaudio Hub on the remaining Nucleus+ USB port) works fine in the Roon ecosystem. Although the sound quality of the Dynaudio Link is adequate for casual listening it is not the best. Also the Dynaudio Link has trouble locking on to the wireless stream, requiring a hard reboot by disconnecting the power supply...mildly annoying...so time for a new box.

The Roon Nucleus+ is still required as the brains...but the Dynaudio Link will be replaced at some point in time. Both the dCS and Auralic seem like fine choices to serve as wireless Roon Endpoint.

Testimonials, I have read thus far, rate both the Network Bridge and the Aries G2 as top in the same class...but there can only be one “King of the Hill” [emoji869][emoji41]

If you want a excellent wireless dac for your man cave with full MQA as a roon endpoint, buy a PS Audio Directstream DAC with the bridge II installed