AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Sonus Faber (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Sonus faber Stradivari's are home (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=42888)

1KW 05-06-2018 04:31 PM

Sonus faber Stradivari's are home

2 Attachment(s)
:banana: My Strads were delivered today. They are just beautiful in the red violin finish, just a spectacular piece of craftsmanship to behold upon entering the room. I never ever thought I would own a pair of these, I have wanted them for many years and today its a reality :banana:

For initial set up I put the Strads where my Elipsa's were set up and then adjusted the listening chair further back about 7- 8 inches as it just felt too close to these speakers. The Elipsa is not exactly a small speaker but the Strads. are much taller and wider. I then moved the Strads a few inches here and there to adjust the center faux imaging a bit. Lastly I adjusted the rake angle which I am still tweaking, I'm about 90 % there. The bass is good, no bloat, very clear and tight. No need for a sub. in my room. I will leave them this way for a day or two and see from there.
My initial impression is very positive. The bass/mid-bass are certainly big and tight with the 2 woofers, tone controls are flat where as before the bass was plus 2 with the Elipsa. The midrange is wonderful for example even while listening to the softest decay of piano notes with associated various other notes the harmonics linger as if someone is performing in front of you. I am still in the exploring stage. Overall very happy with the purchase . These are a special piece, a future classic . These were the last remnant of Franco at Sonus Faber and I am lucky to have them. I will say the Elipsa is a very good speaker and is capable of about 90 % of what the Strads. do. The Strads. however still have something over the Elipsa, just a little more realism in the presentation.
I moved my Elipsa to the HT. I did a similar set up there as well based on how the Guarneri Memento's were placed. I still have to recalibrate the 2 JL audio subs. room perfect again in the HT, change the crossover freq. on the subs., change the crossover settings to full range in the HT processor and crossover settings in the pre amp. processor. While I was packing up the Guarneri Memento, someone texted me that they are interested in the Elipsa and would like to see/hear them next week so I have one GM still attached to its pedestal while the other is tucked away in the box. Sorry for the crappy iPhone pictures

The Lost Bears 05-06-2018 04:50 PM

Congratulations! I envy you with your new strads. Enjoy.

1KW 05-06-2018 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lost Bears (Post 914053)
Congratulations! I envy you with your new strads. Enjoy.

Thank you, your Elipsa SE are wonderful as well

Masterlu 05-06-2018 05:28 PM

David... Congratulations! it won’t take long for you say “why did I wait so long?”

Enjoy them in the very best of health. :)

jdandy 05-06-2018 05:35 PM

David.......This has been a long time coming. I am happy you finally decided to bring a pair of Strad's home. They are beautiful. Congratulations on a very wise move that raises the performance bar on your two channel system.

bart 05-06-2018 05:52 PM

David, congrats!
You purchased an audiophile icon, as well as a jewel to look at.

PMCH 05-06-2018 06:07 PM

Congratulations, I am sure the Strads will be your forever speakers. They look beautiful in your room. I also prefer the base as it comes out of the Strads, as is, without additional subs.

1KW 05-06-2018 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Masterlu (Post 914056)
David... Congratulations! it won’t take long for you say “why did I wait so long?”

Enjoy them in the very best of health. :)

Ivan,

Thank you. Once I saw and heard them in your place at the Cape they have been on my bucket list. :thumbsup:

crwilli 05-06-2018 06:23 PM

David, I suspect I speak for many here and say, whew! I know I have wanted you to get your Strads since I met you and am very happy you were able to score such a pristine pair. Well done and enjoy them in good health! Craig

Masterlu 05-06-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1KW (Post 914069)
Ivan,

Thank you. Once I saw and heard them in your place at the Cape they have been on my bucket list. :thumbsup:

That was a very latent LuFlu attack. :D