AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tape Machines (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Cassette - Everything old is new again (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=34868)

jdandy 02-21-2016 11:51 PM

Cassette - Everything old is new again

Cassettes follow vinyl with huge boost in sales after acts release albums on tape | Daily Mail Online

djwhog 02-22-2016 12:16 AM

GOD help us on 8 Tracks if that is next.. thanks Dan!

o0OBillO0o 02-22-2016 09:44 PM

It's a wonderful world we live in.. the music world.

You can listen to your favorite bands whatever way you want. Further that the Artist drives the train!

vinod_david 02-26-2016 05:44 AM

Old is NOT new again... Clicky

eljr 02-26-2016 09:31 AM

niche nonsense

audioguy3107 02-26-2016 09:50 AM

Hipsters strike again!

Golucid 02-26-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audioguy3107 (Post 762686)
Hipsters strike again!

+1

PHC1 02-26-2016 01:45 PM

Well, the cassette would be hardly an exciting add on for the high end audio crowd but... It would be nice to see a resurgence of reel to reel for that analog lover in all of us.. (most of us? :D) Probably not going to happen but would be nice to have an analog playback format other than vinyl. Investing into a high quality playback head and the rest of the mechanics would follow. I'm sure it would not be too cost prohibitive to even start manufacturing either similar format or a new one when it comes to reel2reel tapes themselves? It's probably not going to happen because no one would invest first but there certainly would be a niche market for it. The business model worked for LPs, we have witnessed the resurgence, it could work for R2R. :scratch2:

cleeds 02-26-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 762706)
... It would be nice to see a resurgence of reel to reel for that analog lover in all of us.. (most of us? :D) Probably not going to happen but would be nice to have an analog playback format other than vinyl. Investing into a high quality playback head and the rest of the mechanics would follow. I'm sure it would not be too cost prohibitive to even start manufacturing either similar format or a new one when it comes to reel2reel tapes themselves? It's probably not going to happen because no one would invest first but there certainly would be a niche market for it. The business model worked for LPs, we have witnessed the resurgence, it could work for R2R. :scratch2:

It looks like Horch House is planning a new reel to reel venture. See this.

Golucid 02-26-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHC1 (Post 762706)
... It would be nice to see a resurgence of reel to reel for that analog lover in all of us

there's another guy on another form by the name of Steve that his been trying to influence me to consider buying a Studer real to real. I think the model is an A810.

I have never seen in person a real to real machine and heck barely know what a cassette is.

I was told that if I transferred my vinyl over to reel to reel that the sound or should I say the analog sound will showcase better.

I like my vinyl and I like my digital stuff too but I'm really skeptical about tape - seems so old and antiquated.

I am open-minded to try new things and even very old things. Should I consider a cassette and a real to real?