AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Tuners (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   FM antenna for MR85 (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=38175)

Douglas 01-08-2017 02:08 AM

Hmmmm! This is getting me interested. I have a beautiful vintage Marantz Model 105B tuner gathering dust. Maybe it is time to put it into service.

Randy Myers 01-08-2017 02:12 AM

Do it Douglass! :)

Douglas 01-08-2017 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 824945)
Do it Douglass! :)

Randy...It should be a nice project. :thumbsup:

edkoz 01-08-2017 08:52 AM

Well I have the MR85 all connected and it sounds great. The ST2 antenna works better than expected. I was
happy to see how many stations i was able to pick up. I'm glad I made the move to include a "radio" to my system.
Ed

Randy Myers 01-08-2017 10:21 AM

Excellent Ed.... I to am glad to have added the MR85! Waiting for the ST-2 myself.... have tried several antennas and definitely know that it makes a difference.

Amazon just got some ST-2's, so I decided to get one since I have no confirmation that the company with the Metz actually has them in stock. If they both arrive I can return either one :)...

Well I confirmed that the Ham Radio Outlet did not have any Metz in any of their locations so I am very happy that I had ordered the ST-2 from Amazon when they got them back in stock!

Randy Myers 01-14-2017 05:23 PM

The SR-2 arrived. Besides getting it out of the dam tube, installation is easy. I had to play around to find the best location. Laying on the windowsill worked fine for most stations, but the NPR stations would not come in at all.

Finally found best bet for now, clear taped the mounting bracket to the window with the whip up. After finding best spot seems to work very well. The Mc never sounded better.

edkoz 01-14-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Myers (Post 826392)
The SR-2 arrived. Besides getting it out of the dam tube, installation is easy. I had to play around to find the best location. Laying on the windowsill worked fine for most stations, but the NPR stations would not come in at all.

Finally found best bet for now, clear taped the mounting bracket to the window with the whip up. After finding best spot seems to work very well. The Mc never sounded better.

I laughed with your comment about getting the antenna out of the tube. I spent more time opening that darn tube than I spent installing the antenna!!!!! I have access to the attic of my house so I was able to mount it inside the attic. The antenna is about 25 feet above ground level. I have been enjoying the FM stations a great deal. Happy I made the move.
Ed

jdandy 01-14-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edkoz (Post 824967)
Well I have the MR85 all connected and it sounds great. The ST2 antenna works better than expected. I was
happy to see how many stations i was able to pick up. I'm glad I made the move to include a "radio" to my system.
Ed

Ed.......Congratulations on putting FM radio back into your system. It is a wonderful source component that many choose to ignore. Too bad for them. FM radio is entertaining, spontaneous, and just plain fun to go looking for new music and distant stations. Don't overlook the AM band on your MR85. Install that external RAA1 AM antenna up in the attic. There's a lot of cool stuff on AM, and at night you can pull in stations from all around the country. A sound system without a tuner is incomplete in my opinion.

Glad to hear the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna is doing its job well. Installing it in the attic at that elevation definitely improves it's ability to receive signals. My ST-2 is mounted at 28 feet from the ground to the bottom of the antenna on a second story eave outside. Even in this rural north Florida location and acres of oak and pine all around my home, the ST-2 does an excellent job with my McIntosh MR88 tuner.

http://www.sdxa.org/wp-content/uploa...8077288994.jpg

edkoz 01-14-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdandy (Post 826424)
Ed.......Congratulations on putting FM radio back into your system. It is a wonderful source component that many choose to ignore. Too bad for them. FM radio is entertaining, spontaneous, and just plain fun to go looking for new music and distant stations. Don't overlook the AM band on your MR85. Install that external RAA1 AM antenna up in the attic. There's a lot of cool stuff on AM, and at night you can pull in stations from all around the country. A sound system without a tuner is incomplete in my opinion.

Glad to hear the Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna is doing its job well. Installing it in the attic at that elevation definitely improves it's ability to receive signals. My ST-2 is mounted at 28 feet from the ground to the bottom of the antenna on a second story eave outside. Even in this rural north Florida location and acres of oak and pine all around my home, the ST-2 does an excellent job with my McIntosh MR88 tuner.

http://www.sdxa.org/wp-content/uploa...8077288994.jpg

Honestly, I didn't give AM a second thought. I have NO idea what AM stations have to offer. But, It will not take much more than a half hour to set it up and give it a try. Heck, I may be pleasantly surprised.
Ed

Weirdcuba 01-14-2017 09:56 PM

Wow. I can't listen to it on the big rig, but AM 1690 here in Atlanta is awesome. They play everything from the waylin jennys, to Sam Cooke, to reading Shakespeare (and lots of other stuff), to great stand up comedy, routinely, all the time. If they just had an fm signal, it would be too good to believe.