AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Magico (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   A new Magico in 2Q 2015 - S7 ? (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=30876)

CKKeung 03-27-2015 02:08 AM

A new Magico in 2Q 2015 - S7 ?

http://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/data...a8unbin3ud.jpg
  • Enclosure looks similar to S Series
  • Driver arrangement similar to Project M and Q7.
  • The woofers seem to be a new variety with shiny surface.
  • The feet are similar to Project M's.

Is this the new S7 ? :banana:

imprezap2 03-27-2015 05:20 AM

nice

PlanarSpeakerFan 03-28-2015 12:34 AM

Looks like this new speaker is coming out in April 2015. Definitely looks like an upgraded S5.

Ken

frequentflyer 03-30-2015 11:38 AM

It could be the new Q5. No reason to have a speaker higher than S5

Number95 03-30-2015 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frequentflyer (Post 687834)
It could be the new Q5. No reason to have a speaker higher than S5

Not very likely if you look at current Q5 and S5 front baffles.

PLK 03-30-2015 09:11 PM

Looks like a computer generated image to me.

WillydeWoofer 04-01-2015 09:20 AM

Magico till now sounds for me to much into the face and not natural.
So for my opinion they are a way to expensive.

imprezap2 04-01-2015 03:48 PM

Too much into the face, that's a new one for me

WillydeWoofer 04-01-2015 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imprezap2 (Post 688490)
Too much into the face, that's a new one for me

More not natural than into the face.

I mean in comparison with the acoustic instruments I work everyday with as a teacher and conductor. I like speakers that sound average as close to live as possible. But that are very difficult things. I know. Every brand instrument sounds different, every musician has his own sound, how is it recorded, what did the sound ingeneer do? I am just talking about an average. That's the best one can do.

Number95 04-02-2015 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillydeWoofer (Post 688379)
Magico till now sounds for me to much into the face and not natural.
So for my opinion they are a way to expensive.

My experiences with Magico imply they are mostly very transparent and neutral such that mostly reflect the rest of the gear behind them. That being said, I also get the idea that we all hear different, what we are looking from an audio system varies a lot, that is why there is not a unique, single speaker for everyone, that is very true for any other audio gear including amps, cables, source gear too.

cmarin 04-02-2015 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number95 (Post 688666)
My experiences with Magico imply they are mostly very transparent and neutral such that mostly reflect the rest of the gear behind them. That being said, I also get the idea that we all hear different, what we are looking from an audio system varies a lot, that is why there is not a unique, single speaker for everyone, that is very true for any other audio gear including amps, cables, source gear too.

+1

WillydeWoofer 04-02-2015 04:29 PM

Of course it's always the combination (and acoustics) you are listening to. It's impossible to listen to speakers only.
Maybe I was at the wrong place at the wrong time.

Myles B. Astor 04-02-2015 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillydeWoofer (Post 688535)
More not natural than into the face. I mean in comparison with the acoustic instruments I work everyday with as a teacher and conductor. I like speakers that sound average as close to live as possible. But that are very difficult things. I know. Every brand instrument sounds different, every musician has his own sound, how is it recorded, what did the sound ingeneer do? I am just talking about an average. That's the best one can do.

Willy you need to hear them under better circumstances. Believe me they are not as you described. There was something else seriously wrong when you heard them.

Myles B. Astor 04-02-2015 04:47 PM

I might be all wet but I don't see it as a S series model because the speaker in the picture like the four way Q series design rather than three way associated with the S. Or it could be a new series altogether based on the M-series technology.

bvdiman 04-02-2015 05:01 PM

My guess it is new S series with improved driver arrangement as in Q, which perhaps they found superior in more recent developments - at least for larger speakers.

Myles B. Astor 04-02-2015 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bvdiman (Post 688766)
My guess it is new S series with improved driver arrangement as in Q, which perhaps they found superior in more recent developments - at least for larger speakers.

Alon always admitted having the mid-bass driver as in the Q series was superior. Just it was harder to build a four way design.

WillydeWoofer 04-02-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 688760)
Willy you need to hear them under better circumstances. Believe me they are not as you described. There was something else seriously wrong when you heard them.

It is very difficult to judge about one part of a chain. Maybe my conclusion has been taken to early. It's a complex thing. The most important is that one is happy with his own audio system. It's only a tool to enjoy music. I hope all Magico owners will sleep wel tonight :D

PlanarSpeakerFan 04-02-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CKKeung (Post 686893)
  • Enclosure looks similar to S Series
  • Driver arrangement similar to Project M and Q7.
  • The woofers seem to be a new variety with shiny surface.
  • The feet are similar to Project M's.

Is this the new S7 ? :banana:

I agree with your reasoning. I think it is going to be the new S7.

Ken

Still-One 04-02-2015 06:26 PM

I had to hear several different amps driving Magico speakers before I heard a combination that could justify its inclusion in any discussion of top speakers. I now believe anyone starting from scratch and ooking for a great speaker should include this brand in their search.

S1chen 04-02-2015 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 688800)
I had to hear several different amps driving Magico speakers before I heard a combination that could justify its inclusion in any discussion of top speakers. I now believe anyone starting from scratch and ooking for a great speaker should include this brand in their search.

Many a time, it is not only the amp that count. Most people neglected the source and use a source that only cost 20% of the amp. Rubbish in rubbish out.

Myles B. Astor 04-02-2015 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S1chen (Post 688805)
Many a time, it is not only the amp that count. Most people neglected the source and use a source that only cost 20% of the amp. Rubbish in rubbish out.

+1

The Magicos sound magical with 15 ips tape.

bvdiman 04-02-2015 08:37 PM

Quote:

At this level playing field, every single little things matter.
My most recent experience being one single wrong fuse (highly regarded audiophile ones btw.), disrupted the whole system (skewed the tonal balance, akin to mild v-slope applied on eQ). Many grating listening sessions and sleepless nights waiting for it to supposedly break, peace only returned after the original was re-inserted.
This is only but one example, there are myriad of others. So I'd only pass judgement on speakers/equipments which I own or had long term exposure to ~ yet, then again are still subjective opinions. Man, this hobby is complicated, more so for an ocd like me. :D

Still-One 04-03-2015 12:02 AM

Quote:

I disagree. Few sources sound bad today. There are some great ones but anyone who is playing in the Magico sandbox isn't pairing it with a $99 CD player.

WillydeWoofer 04-03-2015 06:57 AM

I think the higher the level, the more the match becomes important.
Here in Holland there are only a few persons who have the experience to create an amazing natural sound. Just to be clear: I'm not one of them, I can only listen.

My reviewer-friend is one of them, but he can't always help me. Why not?
He is always playing so loud that one almost has to protect his ears. And he wants to hear the music more into the face. Like you are sitting very close to the musicians. Wat a problems we have all :D

Some of you have great equipment. Are there only millionairs here? :D

Myles B. Astor 04-03-2015 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 688940)
I disagree. Few sources sound bad today. There are some great ones but anyone who is playing in the Magico sandbox isn't pairing it with a $99 CD player.

Are you saying all sources sound the same?

imprezap2 04-03-2015 08:20 AM

it must be S-series, all the screws are visible, Q series have the curved baffle and the units are mounted from the backside of the baffle.

Thinking about it, it amazes me that Magico will introduce a speaker larger than the S5 in their entry series. The price must be getting very close to the Q series (Q3)

JimmyS 04-03-2015 09:21 AM

Quote:

I recently upgraded to Magico S3's from Avalon Eidolon's. This upgrade is costing me WAY more than I bargained for as the Magico's really reveal what the sources are feeding them.

So far the damage is a new Phono Pre, and the pre amp and DAC are up next....

The Sandman 04-03-2015 10:09 AM

Quote:

Just to amplify this, the Transguard TG3 80 makes a much bigger improvement than I thought it would - it adds quite a bit of detail while making the mids and highs sound smoother and more natural. The tweeters really do appreciate the "rubbish removal".

Still-One 04-03-2015 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 689006)
Are you saying all sources sound the same?

Myles
No. I am saying that in general there are really no bad sources. There are no garbage in.

The Sandman 04-03-2015 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 689057)
Myles
No. I am saying that in general there are really no bad sources. There are no garbage in.

The Magicos are particularly sensitive to any harshness or glare in the high frequencies - any digital sources with this tendency can be considered bad matches for them IMO.

BlueFox 04-03-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Myles

Agreed. At this level, people are just splitting hairs trying to differentiate sound when comparing gear, and then pronouncing one thing is better than another. While it might be true for them, someone else might prefer Plan B.

BlueFox 04-03-2015 02:27 PM

It is the S7, which is what it looked like.

Magico Technology

Myles B. Astor 04-03-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Myles No. I am saying that in general there are really no bad sources. There are no garbage in.

Well we'll have to disagree on that.

gaboudreaux 04-03-2015 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFox (Post 689106)

Magico Technology

Hmmm... Wonder what MSRP is and when it will be available?

Still-One 04-03-2015 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myles B. Astor (Post 689128)
Well we'll have to disagree on that.

That sources is the important link was just a marketing tool initiated by Ivor Tifenbrun to sell his turntables which was the only product he produced at the time.

The Sandman 04-03-2015 07:32 PM

Quote:

Myles

So, go cheap on the front end to conserve resources for amps and speakers ?

cmarin 04-03-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 689199)
That sources is the important link was just a marketing tool initiated by Ivor Tifenbrun to sell his turntables which was the only product he produced at the time.

I would suggest that the important link is the weakest one you can control.

CLEE 04-03-2015 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFox (Post 689106)

Magico Technology

It seems to be constructed like the S5, rather than the monocoque of the S1 and S3.

Myles B. Astor 04-03-2015 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still-One (Post 689199)

You are kidding right? You listen to one medium while I have three in here. And that's a valid conclusion?

So if that's the case and the importance of the source is a myth, then why even bring your own software when auditioning equipment?

Digital (and yes that includes 4X DSD), LP and tape are all quite different sounding, believe me.

Myles B. Astor 04-03-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueFox (Post 689063)
Agreed. At this level, people are just splitting hairs trying to differentiate sound when comparing gear, and then pronouncing one thing is better than another. While it might be true for them, someone else might prefer Plan B.

How about providing some examples for us.