AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Cables Galore (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Audioquest Aspen vs Oak (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=43008)

GBP 05-25-2018 02:43 AM

Audioquest Aspen vs Oak

Hi there!

Audioquest Aspen vs Oak.
Everything is similar but the PSC/PSC+ vs fully PSC+.
Of course there must be an audible difference, but... I can't imagine that this difference is more than just a slight one.

Experiences anyone?

(Could get an Aspen for a really good price from a dealer who's quitting with AQ. I could send it to AQ to let them shorten it and doing from Single- to BiWire.)

mcpaf76 05-25-2018 01:11 PM

I own Audioquest Oaks, very pleased with them. I auditioned a few cables around them in price (don't recall exactly which, I believe Comet and Castle Rock were 2 of them) The differences were very subtle, even the difference between the Oaks and the relatively inexpensive DH labs Silver Sonics wasn't much.

joey_v 05-26-2018 12:51 PM

I could probably do a demo, my friend has the Oaks, I have the Aspen (and Wel).

GBP 05-26-2018 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey_v (Post 916343)
I could probably do a demo, my friend has the Oaks, I have the Aspen (and Wel).

Do it please. :)

I'm very curious what happens to the bass and the highs.
The AQ Fire is my connection between Pre and Amp. It's resolution is fantastic. But now i'm missing a bit on the bottom... The overall sound isn't overanalytic, but it tends (!) to be on the lean side on "normal" songs and movies. I mean, it's not really lean, but it could be "fuller".

My dealer lend me the Aspen for some days, so i know the characterics approximately. But it was before i installed the Fire...

Maybe the Oak is remarkable better in everything.
Could get an newly Aspen for a really good price. But have to send it to AQ as it's too long and not BiWire.

tdelahanty 05-26-2018 06:05 PM

I have Aspen in my system and did a direct comparison to Oak. Oak was a bit more pronounced in the mids and highs. Aspen has a slightly warmer character. The
requirements of your system, personal taste and cost out weigh the slight differences between these cables. I have not spent the extra $1000.00 for Oak. :music:

GBP 05-26-2018 06:18 PM

Thank you!
Did you notice anything regarding "speed"?

joey_v 05-26-2018 06:53 PM

This is my way of putting things into perspective:

The Oak compared to standard Home Depot 12g copper wire was a smaller delta than the delta between the oak and the wel. I’d expect the aspen to be pretty close to the oak.

tdelahanty 05-27-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 916383)
Thank you!
Did you notice anything regarding "speed"?

No

GBP 06-04-2018 12:04 PM

I ordered the Oak today. With the Carbon-DBS. Eeexxxccciiittteeeddd. :)

joey_v 06-04-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 917491)
I ordered the Oak today. With the Carbon-DBS. Eeexxxccciiittteeeddd. :)

Congrats! :thumbsup:

GBP 06-20-2018 08:32 AM

Since last friday the Oak is in my System.
Sound: Yeah! Love it.

Today... Oh man... My Dealer lent me the Redwood. (I asked for it one month ago.)
Very quick check. Yes, more details. More Room? Don't know, very quick check. Have to work.

But...
Madonna, Sticky & Sweet Tour. 2nd Track.
With the Oak connected: Yeah, woooooh! Great. Explosive, lots of energy, love it much.

With the Redwood connected: Gooseskin. Almost immediately.

DAMN! :)

Masterlu 06-20-2018 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GBP (Post 919573)
Since last friday the Oak is in my System.
Sound: Yeah! Love it.

Today... Oh man... My Dealer lent me the Redwood. (I asked for it one month ago.)
Very quick check. Yes, more details. More Room? Don't know, very quick check. Have to work.

But...
Madonna, Sticky & Sweet Tour. 2nd Track.
With the Oak connected: Yeah, woooooh! Great. Explosive, lots of energy, love it much.

With the Redwood connected: Gooseskin. Almost immediately.

DAMN! :)

Work?

C’mon get your priorities straight. :D

mulveling 06-20-2018 11:26 PM

Perhaps working overtime to afford the Redwood? :D

joey_v 06-21-2018 12:50 AM

Yep... oak to wel... WHOA!!!

I never looked back

GBP 06-21-2018 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling (Post 919650)
Perhaps working overtime to afford the Redwood? :D

Hehe, indeed. :)
I actually have two jobs. One main job. Working in Shifts (but can sleep there at night, Jackpot!). Payment is good. In relation really good. And the other one as a photographer which can be 24/7.

For me the Oak is expensive, but still affordable.
The Redwood normally is out of reach. (Have to upgrade three Thunders to Hurricanes.) But... Ehrm... The immediate appear of Gooseskin and warm shivers does do me forget the $$$. (In my case the €€€.) Have to sell some stocks. Maybe also one kidney. :)

Absolute unbelievable fact for me:
The AVP is just an inexpensive (2000$?) Rotel. RSP-1572. Did i mention the Goosebumps and warm shivers after two or three seconds? I'm pretty sure a modern High-End-Pre can do even much more magic. OK, maybe i should sell both kidneys. :)