AudioAficionado.org

AudioAficionado.org (https://www.audioaficionado.org/index.php)
-   Acoustical Treatments (https://www.audioaficionado.org/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Owens Corning basement wall system (https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=35684)

timm 05-02-2016 09:38 PM

Owens Corning basement wall system

Hi all

I am making a room 18x30 for some big Maggie's. I am going with a bamboo floor. I have seen and 'heard' this Owens Corning basement wall system. It is basically fiberglass covered in a nubby cloth. The room I was in had the 'no echo' sound. I am thinking the deadness of these walls plus the liveliness of the floor might make a good match. Ceiling would be suspended acoustic tile.

I didn't hear music in the room but it had that real quiet thing going on. The room had carpeting whereas mine will have bamboo.

Any opinions on this product or competing products like it for my application?

jfray 05-02-2016 09:51 PM

I am not sure about your floor selection and it may provide the opposite effect you are looking for.

timm 05-02-2016 09:59 PM

My thought is that the walls and ceiling are dead. The floor is alive. If I want, I can use an 8x10 rug on the floor between the speakers and listening area. So the idea is to create balance - not a room overly dead or bright.

So saying all of that....

Masterlu 05-02-2016 10:01 PM

IMHO, you never want a floor that is "alive"

jfray 05-02-2016 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timm (Post 777694)
My thought is that the walls and ceiling are dead. The floor is alive. If I want, I can use an 8x10 rug on the floor between the speakers and listening area. So the idea is to create balance - not a room overly dead or bright.

So saying all of that....

I understand the thought process but this might be an idea that sounds good on "paper" but I think you might not be happy with the result...... :scratch2:

If the hardwoods are already bought and paid for then I recommend using a rug......

timm 05-02-2016 10:34 PM

Hmmm. Interesting. I used to have my system in a basement with carpeting , acoustic ceiling tile ceiling and walls that were mostly drywall with about 10 coats of paint on them. Haha. The room was pretty dead - but I did like that. But I was also using electrostats. The room definitely tamed any sizzle and imaging was great.

I have since moved and have them in an all drywall space w hardwood and an area rug. It still sounds great and seems to have a bit more sparkle on the top end. Ceilings are about 9'.

Now thinking about this new room and have come across different product etc. The thought with the floor was that the walls and the ceiling will be quite absorptive and my concern is that the room might get TOO dead. I am thinking of kerplopping Maggie 20.7s in this space and giving about 11' of space to the front wall. I could possibly 'tune' it with rugs.

jfray 05-02-2016 10:51 PM

18x30 is a really big room but with the Maggie 20.7's I am not sure you will need the room to add to the top end sparkle...... remember you are the one that needs to be happy with the room and if the hardwoods are the look you are going for, then you may "tune" it with a quality thick rug.

:D

timm 05-02-2016 11:01 PM

Haha. I know. Talk about obsessing. This is ridiculous. I have been planning this room for quite some time and I just need to take the plunge. Gawd!! :D. And I do have a good 1" thick Persian wool rug at my beckon call to save the day.

crwilli 05-02-2016 11:24 PM

If your walls and floor materials are not purchased, I suggest you call Glenn at GIK acoustics and do this right. They can likely give you the insight you need to decide how much of your room should be reflective and absorptive.

A 'live' room can be tamed with speaker and listener position AND acoustic treatment. A dull room will always be dull.

nalthien 05-02-2016 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crwilli (Post 777718)
If your walls and floor materials are not purchased, I suggest you call Glenn at GIK acoustics and do this right. They can likely give you the insight you need to decide how much of your room should be reflective and absorptive.

A 'live' room can be tamed with speaker and listener position AND acoustic treatment. A dull room will always be dull.

Cannot agree with this comment more! Once we get moved into the new place, one of the first calls I'll be making is to GIK. The fact that they are located in my old hometown in ATL works for me as well. :)